[ont.micro.mac] Complaint Re Mac Footprint and Cabling

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/07/84)

Date: Tue 5 Jun 84 11:50:55-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <uw-beaver!SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Complaint Re Mac Footprint and Cabling
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

     Great pride attaches to Mac's small footprint -- only "x" inches wide
and "y" inches deep.  In fact, I have a shelf just "y" inches in depth right
beside my desk...obviously a great place to put the Mac.

     Except, those big rigid cable connectors sticking out behind the Mac
(and most other terminals and PCs) add effectively at least 2", and closer
to 3" to the required depth.  We need all this hardware to attach 3 or 4
tiny wires?!?!

     In addition, if you happen to be carrying your Mac around the house
with the cables attached, and you catch one of those connectors on a piece
of furniture or the edge of a doorway, it breaks off the whole connector
receptacle, in a manner that's most excruciatingly difficult to repair...

     My vacuum cleaner neatly rolls up and stores its own cords; so does
my slide projector.  With all the sophistication involved in the design of
these computers and terminals, when is some elementary product design
ingenuity going to be applied to simple cable connections that come out the
bottom of the machine, or a slot or a little enclosure, or something!!!

     Apple, are you listening...?
-------