[ont.micro.mac] MS-BASIC bug? A short tale of woe....

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/12/84)

Date: Mon 11 Jun 84 12:47:51-PDT
From: Jeff Rosenschein <uw-beaver!ROSENSCHEIN@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: MS-BASIC bug?  A short tale of woe....
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

After extensive editing of a file in MS-BASIC, I saved the file and
quit.  Much to my surprise, I found that my file, whose icon was still
present on the screen, now occupied 0K of memory.  After a little
searching, I found that the System file in the System Folder was now
an MS-BASIC program icon.  Although GET-INFO showed that the System
file occupied its usual 82K, I was able to load it into MS-BASIC,
where it proved to be none other than my original file!

So apparently what happened was that the System file had been destroyed
and replaced with my file; the icon was updated to reflect the
(inadvertant) change, but not the icon location (it was still in the
System Folder), nor the icon name (it was still "System"), nor the
icon size information.

I managed to undo the damage by copying the System file, trashing the
original and bringing over a new copy of the System from another disk.
Then I loaded this (pseudo)-System file copy into MS-BASIC, making a
trivial change (probably unnecessary) and saving the result under my
original file name.  My file now had the correct size information.
Then I trashed the (pseudo) System file copy.

I don't know if this is a bug in MS-BASIC or the System (I was using
the latest release of the latter).  I also have no idea what
circumstances might have caused it.

--Jeff Rosenschein
-------