[ont.micro.mac] Trash Can Quirk

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/10/84)

Date: 9 Jun 84 16:28 EDT
From: David H M Spector <uw-beaver!SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: Trash Can Quirk

I found an interesting aspect of the finder and the trash can last night.

I have three disks on the desktop, I decided to "throw away" one of the ones
I didn't need att the moment by dragging it to the trash,  after a moment
I thought better of it, and decided to retrieve it from the trash,
when I opened the trash, it wasn't there.  There was over 100Kb free, so
I don't think that the finder suddenly needed the space.

I thought that any object that was "the last thing thrown away" could be
recovered, does this not apply to disks?

		David HM Spector
		NYU Systems Group

________________________________________.
|ARPAnet:     SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1          |
|USEnet :     ...floyd!cmcl2!acf4!spector|
|               -+-+-+-			 |
|Any opinions expressed herein are my own|
|and should not be considered those of my|
|employer.				 |
________________________________________.

-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/12/84)

Date: Sat 9 Jun 84 18:22:12-PDT
From: <uw-beaver!OTHB@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Trash Can Quirk
To: SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

	I don't recall that the ability to throw away a disk icon is a documented feature, but it appears to work like this:  When you insert a new disk, all
directory information is read into RAM.  You have probably noticed that
sometimes the Mac runs out of memory and tells you it is throwing out one
or more disks.  When you throw away a disk icon, you are merely freeing the
RAM that was holding the disk's directory.  Since the disk still has a (?)
faithful copy of it's directory, you can read it back in if desired, and
there is therefore no need to allow you to take it back out of the trash
(except, perhaps, for consistancy...).
	Which reminds me, there were some bugs in the old version of the
finder (haven't checked the new one yet) related to throwing disks away.
You could modify the INFO entry for a file on a disk that is not in the
drive at that time, throw away the disk icon, and never have the INFO
recorded.  In this case, the finder should ask you to reinsert that disk
before allowing you to throw it away or only let you change INFO entries
on the currently inserted disk.
						-Jon Spear
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/12/84)

Date: 11 Jun 84 12:31:29 PDT
From: uw-beaver!wert.pa@XEROX.ARPA
To: David H M Spector <SPECTOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

The disk icons on your desk are not files, therefore they do not follow
the rules for throwing away files. What they represent is memory from
the system heap, which is why you get "Not enough memory" errors when
you have too many disk icons. When you throw disk icons away, the memory
is immediately reclaimed, as it should be. It has nothing to do with the
finder needing disk space.

scott