[ont.micro.mac] SUMACC file IO

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/19/84)

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 84 18:22:29 pdt
From: Bill Croft <uw-beaver!croft@safe>
To: info-mac@sumex
Subject: SUMACC file IO
Cc: croft@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA, engel@harvard

  Date: Thu, 14 Jun 84 16:36:23 edt
  From: engel@harvard (Stephen Engel)
  To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
  Subject: C files.

  Can someone help me with Macintosh file manipulation from C?  Two things
  in particular bother me.  The one is the second variable in the i/o
  functions listed in libos.c ; what purpose does it serve?  The other is
  that lint refuses to accept the type ioPParam, but is perfectly happy
  with ioParam (The type in osintf.h is ioPParam).  Why?

  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

  Steve Engel

Please try to check your Inside Macintosh first before sending a question
to info-mac.  If you are receiving the Inside Mac updates, you should have
a new File Manager document dated 5/21/84.  Look at the section titled
"High Level File Manager Routines";  a sample of these calls can be
found in the cmd/fromhex.p program in the distribution, or in Mike
Schuster's translation, fromhex.c.

The calls you are refering to are discussed in "Low Level File Manager
Routines" and are normally not used.  The second parameter on these
calls is a boolean (0 or 1) to indicate whether the function is
asynchronous or synchronous.

The osintf.h on the distribution looks OK to me; the structure defined
there is "ioParam".