[ont.micro.mac] Macintosh Kermit Progress Report

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/26/84)

Date: Thu 21 Jun 84 18:19:34-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <uw-beaver!SY.FDC%CU20B@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA>
Subject: Macintosh Kermit Progress Report
To: Info-Kermit@CUCS20, Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Columbia has finally received its Lisa-2/10 development system, though we
haven't actually tried to use it yet for Mac development yet (we just
unpacked it).

We had a rudimentary, receive-only adaptation of Unix Kermit running on
the Mac briefly, bootstrapped with the Sumacc cross development package.
This was painful to do, and only worked once for some reason.  We may
pursue this avenue, or give it up if the Lisa proves to be easier to deal
with.

We submitted a proposal to Apple 2 months ago to add Kermit as one of the
file transfer protocols supported by MacTerminal.  We haven't had a
response yet.  Meanwhile, a review of MacTerminal in the current
(July/August 1984) issue of Macworld compares Kermit favorably to the
XMODEM protocol that is already in MacTerminal (p.69).  I hope someone at
Apple reads the review.

What does all this add up to?  We'll produce a Kermit for the Mac one way
or another.  We'd prefer to see it as an option in MacTerminal, since that's
the natural place to put it, but failing that we'll do a standalone version.
Anyway, at least now we can start.
-------