[ont.micro.mac] utilities on SUMACC disk

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/22/84)

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 84 12:41:47 pdt
From: Bill Croft <uw-beaver!croft@safe>
To: info-mac@sumex
Subject: utilities on SUMACC disk
Cc: sumacc@sumex

	Date: Wed 20 Jun 84 00:37:38-EDT
	From: BERGER@CMU-CS-C.ARPA
	Subject: SetFile and resource mover questions

	I can't get SetFile to set the creator field of a file. Am I
	doing something wrong, or is it just broken?

	Also, how do you get the Resource Mover to do anything?

	Robert Berger
	Berger@CMU-CS-C

Somewhere in the Monitor/Workshop/Inside Mac document set was a "hint"
on how to use SETFILE.  There is a bug in SETFILE and you have to use
the "tab" key (rather than the mouse) to select the text field(s) that you
want to edit.  After changing all the stuff you are interested in, then
you mouse "SET IT" and exit.

For a discussion of the Resource Mover, see the section "Working with
Resource Files on the Macintosh" in the "Putting Together an Application"
document dated 1/13/84.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/26/84)

From: John Clark <uw-beaver!clark@rand-unix>
Date: 22 Jun 84 08:39:26 PDT (Fri)
To: Bill Croft <croft@safe>
Cc: info-mac@sumex, sumacc@sumex
Subject: Re: utilities on SUMACC disk

    Another work-around for the bug in SETFILE is to make liberal use of
backspaces (before) and spaces (after) entering file type and creator in
their textfields.  This seems to work if the fields are initially empty.
If not, then spacing existing text off the right end first, seems to work.

    Use of the tab key as you suggest is a cleaner work-around.

    For those who haven't got the docs for Resource Mover, the program's
primary capabilities seem to be: editing resource IDs and names, and moving
resources around (via the familiar select, cut, copy, and paste route).
It's handy for installing fonts, renaming menus, and such.  If it does
other things, I haven't discovered them yet.  Whatever's left on The Scrap
when the program is exited seems to be saved in a document called ResScrap;
however, this gets zeroed the next time Resource Mover is started.

    John Clark
    clark@rand-unix