[ont.micro.mac] Event timers

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/29/84)

	(4.14/4.20) id AA24855; Tue, 26 Jun 84 20:49:40 pdt
	(4.14/4.20) id AA21415; Tue, 26 Jun 84 20:49:50 pdt
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 84 20:49:50 pdt
From: uw-beaver!preese%ucblapis.CC@Berkeley
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
Subject: Event timers

I have a need to find the time between the occurrence of two
events on the Mac i.e. I need to know the time between
presenting something on the screen and when the user responds.
Additionally, I'm currently doing this from MS-BASIC.  MS-BASIC
has the command for the number of seconds past midnight but my
events are likely to be more on the order of fraction of
seconds.  Anybody know of any PEEK locations for a counter
that counts faster then once a second?

The usual way to do this is to loop in a tight loop until
there is a keypress or other interruption.  I'm worried that
this won't work on the Mac because updating the screen will
steal some time from the loop time (suppose the mouse gets
bumped and the cursor has to be redrawn in the new location).
Dose anybody know if this timing loop technique is unreliable
due to this reason?

Thanks,
Phil Reese
preese%ucblapis.CC@Berkeley.ARPA