[ont.micro.mac] Instant Pascal execution speed

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/02/84)

Date: Sat 23 Jun 84 17:18:48-PDT
From: uw-beaver!M.MCLURE@LOTS-A
Subject: Instant Pascal execution speed
To: Info-Mac-Lots@LOTS-A

    Does anyone know more about Instant Pascal's execution speed on modest
benchmarks such as Wirth's 8-Queens or the other benchmarks commonly
used?

    I am curious about just how efficient the compiled 68000 machine
language is. I have heard that it is 80% the speed of reasonable
hand-coded assembly language, but that seems unlikely because it is
interpreted.

    The company told me on the phone that it is 50-100 times slower
than what one might expect from a compiled Pascal program running on
the Macintosh (if such existed). This didn't really answer my question.

Any leads on this would be appreciated.

	Stuart
-------