[ont.micro.mac] Legal matters

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/01/84)

Date:           Sat, 30 Jun 84 10:03:04 PDT
From: "Theodore N. Vail" <uw-beaver!vail@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa
Subject:        legal matters

Recently a note was sent over this list advising readers that a major
corporation might consider a program and data which were distributed
over this list as licensed, and the note went on to give legal advice
concerning the use of this material.

It should be noted that in the state of California, where the message
originated, as well as in the other 49 states, giving legal advice
without being a member of the bar is illegal.

In any case, it is doubtful that the advice given was correct -- more
than likely the case proposed by the author of the note would be laughed
out of court, though the judge might enjoy playing the game involved.

As those of us who have to deal with legal matters in a serious fashion
have learned, the law is not simple, does not follow the paradigms
that computer programmers are accustomed to, and, especially in the
case of computer software and trade secrets, is not well-defined nor
well-understood.

In particular, we have learned (in my own case to my great benefit) that
statements made by large corporations (in particular in "contracts" that
they write and give to their customers) claiming that they have certain
rights, restricting their own liability, and restricting the use or sale
of products, etc., are often worthless.

Indeed, there are recent (so called "bad faith") cases where corpo-
rations have lost multi-million dollar suits in an attempt to enforce
these claims when they were contrary to law.

I would recommend that any reader who is concerned about his legal
rights or liabilities contact his local lawyer.

I would also hope that no further "legal" advice will distributed over
lists such as this.

vail

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/01/84)

Date: Sat, 30-Jun-84 17:04:11 PDT
From: Lauren Weinstein <uw-beaver!vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: Re: legal matters
To: vail@UCLA-LOCUS
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX

Your lack of understanding of the law, including the difference between
giving professional legal advice and expressing a personal opinion,
is laughable.  I only hope that someday you have some software that
you're trying to sell and protect, and that someone posts your
sources to some networks without your permission.  We'll see who'll
be laughing then.

AT&T used trade secret agreements as the only reasonable manner
to protect their work and still be able to release sources so that
people could do the work they wanted to do with those systems.  Those
who try to take "advantage" of such licensing are simply vindicating
the increasing attitude that no software should EVER be provided with
source, regardless of its size, complexity, or cost.  It will be a
sad day when this attitude comes to totally dominate all aspects
of our industry -- but this seems likely so long as people refuse
to respect the idea rights and property rights of others.

Feel free to argue this point with me in more detail in private mail.

--Lauren--

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/02/84)

Date: Mon 2 Jul 84 05:01:12-EDT
From: uw-beaver!RMS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

How strange to find myself agreeing with Lauren--but I too hope that,
if you ever try to sell and protect software, you find that it has
been posted to networks without your permission.  That's the reward
that software protection deserves.  But I hope even more that you will
choose to share the software, as a responsible member of society does.

It is inevitable that amoral, greedy organizations and individuals
will discover new ways to refuse others their cooperation, so as to
keep others artificially dependent on them and thereby "earn" more
money.  As this happens, the alternative I present will look more and
more attractive.  I will provide users with programs whose sources
they are welcome to post, the more networks the merrier.

My free 68000 C compiler is coming in a few weeks.  It won't fit
in a mac, but could probably run on a lisa somehow.
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: 3 July 1984 03:34-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: vail@UCLA-LOCUS
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

1. "Giving legal advice" is "illegal" if you are not a lawyer?
I can understand that taking money for doing that can be
prohibited, but how do you draft a law that makes it a crime to
speak one's mind?  I understand that lawyers have nothing but
contempt for the First Ammendment (unless they can enrich
themselves through it) but it does still exist.

2. I take it you wil sue if anyone else on this list "gives
legal advice"?
	Free advice may often be worth less than you paid for
it; but then, so is much of the "professional" legal advice, the
difference being that one paid more for that...

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: 3 July 1984 03:34-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: vail@UCLA-LOCUS
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

why did we get three copies of this?  But why does it not
surprise me?

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: 3 July 1984 03:21-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: RMS@MIT-OZ
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

We have a Lisa, and it would be fun to test yur neew C compiler
(I have a couple of mad C enthusiasts available).  Pity it won't
run on a Mac.  MacForth works but it Has Bugs, and crashes are
frequent. A C compiler would be a blessing...