[ont.micro.mac] disks, copy prot., etc.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/03/84)

From: John Clark <uw-beaver!clark@rand-unix>
Date: 02 Jul 84 14:26:57 PDT (Mon)
To: tecot@cmu-cs-h
Cc: info-mac@sumex-aim, clark@rand-unix
Subject: Re: disks, copy prot., etc.

I believe as you do: copy protection is a disgusting affront to the user.
I will go to considerable lengths to find alternatives to copy-protected
software, or, failing that, to circumvent protection as necessary to
preserve my investment and ensure minimal usability.

Certainly there must be ample evidence in the marketplace of software
companies that thrive without relying on copy protection.  I am happy to
pay for good copyable software, even when I can (and sometimes do) get it
for free.  I want to support the companies that produce such software, and
do my part to encourage more of the same.  Invariably when I have done
this, I have received good, sometimes outstanding, support in return.  I
reciprocate by keeping backups to myself.  As an aside, I once made an
exception to this policy, at the encouragement (!) of the software author.
I was given a copy of an Apple ][ fast-load utility called Diversi-DOS.  A
message on the diskette said to distribute copies freely, with the caveat
that, if you got a copy and intended to use the software, you were
requested to register with the author and send in a $30 fee--all on the
"honor system." I was so astounded by this brash marketing technique, and
impressed with the software, that I complied.  I was rewarded with
outstanding service, including several major upgrades at a mere $5 each.

Incidentally, if you find out what StartUpScreen (at one time called
BootScreen, I understand), Inited, and Bozo mean, post the answers to the
bboard; I, too, would like to know.  Thanks.

John Clark
clark@rand-unix

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: 3 July 1984 02:59-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
Subject:  disks, copy prot., etc.
To: clark@RAND-UNIX
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM, tecot@CMU-CS-H

One problem with copy protection from publisher view: something
I hadn't thought of before.  Philippe Kahn of Borland (Turbo)
points out that few pirate Turbo because the documentation is
needed and not more than a couple of copies per site are used
anyway.  With their new "Sidekick" utility (where does Borland
get its ugly names fro great programs) the program is
self-explanatory, no documents are needed--and big companies
will buy one copy, then make fifty copies and internally
distribute.  Kahn sells for $50.00 (well, $49.95) a fair price
for a good product; and he's right, there are large outfits that
have bought disk duplicators for internal use...
	What should publishers do?  Many big companies are
streaight arrow, but some BIG ones are not, and they have
EXPENSIVE lawyers.  (Do not suggest that we kill all the lawyers
as solution.  The idea has merits, but there are implementation
difficulties).
	I've been active in denouncing copy protected software
and in general have not changed my view (at $395.00 and like
that, my sympathes are with the user); but what do we do about
the situation where good programs at reasonable prices are
ripeed off?  (Incidentlally, the Borland copy protection scheme
is deliberately unsophistiacted so that hackers will have no
trouble with it; if they crack it they may even get a message
congratulating them; it wasn't his intent to keep hobbyists from
making backup and archive copies...)

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/05/84)

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 84 14:12 PDT
From: uw-beaver!Andersen.PA@XEROX.ARPA
To: John Clark <clark@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>
Cc: tecot@CMU-CS-H.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

"StartUp Screen" has been added to the upgraded System disk.  It allows
you to set any application such that it automatically boots each time
the disk is inserted.
Please let me know what Inited or Bozo means.  Thanks.

									Scott