[ont.micro.mac] MacTerminal v0.15X Throughput

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/05/84)

Date: Wed 4 Jul 84 19:06:57-PDT
From: <uw-beaver!OTHB@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: MacTerminal v0.15X Throughput
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

	MacTerminal prerelease version -0.15X (Apr 18, 1984) is an almost
complete version of the long awaited MacTerminal.  It is a pretty good VT-100
emulator iwth only a few problems.  Running EDTCAI on a VAX/VMS machine,
underlining, reverse video, double high/wide chars, cursor addressing, and
screen clearing all worked great.  Not so great were the lack of highlight/
lowlight and blinking attributes for chars/lines and some problems with split
screen scrolling.  Since I haven't been able to get a keypad, I wasn't able
to try that.
	XON/XOFF handshaking seemed to work just fine, with no lost chars even
though the Mac clearly was not putting chars up at the 9600 bps they were
coming in at.  Curious just what the throughput was, I did a few timings by
listing a file with 40 lines of 62 char each (2480 char with <cr><lf>).  The
results were as follows:

	NoSave, Full, Clean		300 cps
	NoSave, Min, Clean		400
	Save, Full, Clean		257
	Save, Min, Clean		342
	Save, Full, Clock/Notepad	243

where NoSave/Save is whether lines are saved off top, Full is a full 24x80
window, Min is a minimum size window of 4 lines by 8 char, Clean is a clean
desktop, and Clock/Notepad has the clock visible and the notepad protruding
from behind the terminal window (my preferred mode).
	The results show that there is little benefit gained by running any
faster than 4800 bps.  To minimize transfer time to a Mac disk file, you
should have a clean desktop and reduce the terminal window size to its minimum.

					Happy Communicating,
							Jon Spear
P. S.  What is the latest poop on availability of the real MacTerminal?
-------