[ont.micro.mac] disks, etc.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/02/84)

Date: Mon, 2-Jul-84 02:38:15 PDT
From: Lauren Weinstein <uw-beaver!vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: disks, etc.
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX

Can somebody update us regarding the current status of add-on
disks (both floppy and hard) for the MAC?  So far, everybody I know
still seems to be struggling with single-disk systems.  As Dr. Smith
would say, "Oh the pain, the pain..."

--Lauren--

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/03/84)

Date: Mon 2 Jul 84 11:17:50-PDT
From: Richard Furuta <uw-beaver!Furuta@LOCAL>
Subject: Re: disks, etc.
To: vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA, INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Cc: Furuta@LOCAL

There was an interesting advertisement in the Seattle Times on 6/27/84
by a store named CompuShop.  They say that they are selling Mac Ext.
Drives for $327 (regularly $495).  This appears to be a better price
than that offered to the registered developers.  Of course, they say
"Sale items vary by store. Offer good while quantities last. Sale ends
July 7." so it is difficult to tell whether they actually have Mac
External Drives in stock or how many it is that they are selling at
this price.  They also advertise the Mac at $2195, by the way.

					--Rick
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/03/84)

Date: 2 Jul 1984 16:06:43-EDT
From: uw-beaver!Edward.Tecot@CMU-CS-H
To: post-fa-info-mac@CMU-CS-H
To: utcsrgv!peterr
To: microsof!infomac

	CMU has been selling external disk drives for some time now. (~2
weeks)  They cost around $350, I don't know because I am waiting for a 21
meg hard disk.

On a side note, I agree 100% with Mr. Stallman (this is actually an
incentive to produce EMacMACS, I doubt I would have to worry about trademark
infringements, etc.)  I am 100% against copy-protection and I feel that it
is a shame that more commercial software was produced in the form of Borland
Turbo Pascal, inexpensive, not-copy-protected, worthwhile, useful, etc.
Products like these, even though I could copy them easily, I would much
rather purchase, simply to register my name with the company, and support
their establishment in hopes of more software of the same type will follow.
(Microsoft are you listening?).  If you believe as I, send me mail
(tecot@CMU-CS-H), I would like to know if I am in the majority or minority.

Finally, playing with my Mac last night (installing hangman, what a cute
game!), I noticed that there is a reference to a StartUpScreen in the
boot-up information.  Any guesses?  Finally, what do Inited and Bozo mean?

					_emt

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: 3 July 1984 03:19-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX
Cc: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

We have extra floppy drive dor Mac.  It is large (about as big
as a thinline 5" would be), heavy, full of CMOS (judging from
the heavy warnings about not plugging it in unless you have
grounded yourself) and on a SHORT cable making it difficult to
put it on top of the mac.
	It works pretty good, except that it is like CP/M 1.4
was: you MUST have a system disk in the main drive, and WORSE,
it MUST be the syst em disk you BOOTED WITH for many
applications.  This is going to play hell with Softloc copy
protected disks.  Copying FILES is fun and easy, using icons;
making a disk copy requires that half-way through you instert
the original system disk for reasons I do not understand.  In
general MacWrite and MacPaint know about the extra disk.
However, if your extra disk has a version of Macwrite with fonts
not on your original system disk, you apparently can't get at
them; you have to do incredible contortions; it's easier to
transfer the fonts to the original system disk, alas, that fills
it up...
	In other words, the second disk software is pretty good
in conception, and sometimes elegant in execution, but then one
hits the stupid errors that seem to spoil the fun on darned near
all available Mac software.  SIGH.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: Mon 2 Jul 84 18:21:06-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <uw-beaver!CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
To: vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA
Cc: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

>  From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA>
>  Subject: disks, etc.

>  Can somebody update us regarding the current status of add-on
>  disks (both floppy and hard) for the MAC?  So far, everybody I know
>  still seems to be struggling with single-disk systems.  As Dr. Smith
>  would say, "Oh the pain, the pain..."
>
>  --Lauren--

The MicroShop at UT ( a member of the selected few ) has external drives
you can walk out of the door with.

The CompuShop chain is having a chain-wide sale of Maceverything

at 33% off list; MAC ($1995), printer ($392), external
drive ($328), carrying bag ($66), floppies ($33), Basic ($100),
Multiplan ($128), as well as lots of Apple II stuff.

Locally, sale was "while quantities last", and sold out on the first day,
but I got on a waiting list on day 2, and received my drive and some
floppies 3 days later( but I was close to the head of the queue).
I just checked and they do not do business on a "remote" basis, and
the only item IN, right now, is 1 copy of MacMultiplan.

While I do recommend buying hardware locally, just in case of troubles,
(I think my second mouse is crapping out already), I may be able to help
A FEW of you to take advantage of the offers, other than printer and MAC
which I do not think should be subjected to a lot of unsupervised traveling.
My past experience with VECTREX-PEOPLE in helping each other out, has
been extremely positive (both ways), but I can not handle more than a few
requests, and that at a low priority.  Should I get swamped with requests,
I'll have to withdraw this offer REAL FAST, of course,

		(-:
				Werner

P.S.:	Anyone else ready to flame about MAC-OS and other software not
	being geared to take FULL advantage of the second drive ???
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

          Tue, 3 Jul 84 18:57:22 PDT
Date:     Tue, 3 Jul 84 22:09:59 EDT
From: uw-beaver!dfarber%udel-ee.ARPA@lbl-ws.arpa
To: dpm%lbl-csam@lbl-ws.arpa
Cc: INFO-MAC%SUMEX%rand-unix%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@lbl-ws.ARPA,
        vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA

The Bottom Line claims to have the Tecmar Winnies for $1695 ish

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

          Tue, 3 Jul 84 12:12:15 PDT
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 84 12:22:35 pdt
From: uw-beaver!dpm%lbl-csam@lbl-ws.arpa
To: INFO-MAC%SUMEX%rand-unix%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@lbl-ws.ARPA,
        vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA

Lauren,
  Add-on floppy drives have been available in L.A. for over a month. (We picked
up ours the week before DECUS/USENIX.)  It is, needless to say, a godsend.

I have yet to see either a Tecmar or Davong hard disk in the flesh, though I'm
told that a firm in the area has a couple of the Tecmar (5 MB I think) units
in use.  In the meantime, I'm saving my pennies...

dpm

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/05/84)

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 84 14:18 PDT
From: uw-beaver!Andersen.PA@XEROX.ARPA
To: Richard Furuta <Furuta@LOCAL>
Cc: vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX.ARPA, INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

When I tried to call CompuShop, the number had been disconnected.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/07/84)

Date: 7 July 1984 05:08-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: POURNE@MIT-MC
Cc: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM, vortex!lauren@RAND-UNIX

As has been pointed out by many, you CAN boot with the external
drive, with the main drive empty; that seems to work about as if
you had a 1-drive system.
The font transfer problem remains real, though; and teh System
Disk has to be somewhere for it to do much.
	I do not understand the business about inserting the
original system disk when copying disks, but it happens
consistently to me: only when copying all files, not when
copying any single file.
	With a second drive the Mac becomes useful, but it
remains painfully slow in getting much done, and there seems to
be -- I have heard of no -- way to do BATCH work so you can set
it up to do something and just go away while it does it.  Anyone
know of a SUBMIT like facility for the Mac?