[ont.micro.mac] External drive

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/08/84)

Date:  7 Jul 1984 10:27:06 EDT (Saturday)
From: Dick Kalagher <uw-beaver!kalagher@mitre>
Subject: External drive
To: info-mac@sumex-aim

I just got a second disk drive for the Mac and have noticed some funny things.
I have a disk with a number of programs including the system folder and a
pre-release of macterminal.  There is 19K left on the disk.  If I boot the
system cold from the internal drive and double click Macterminal, it loads
normally and after a few minutes of use it warns me that it con't save
lines off the top any more.  So far so good.

Now I turn off the machine and repeat the procedure except that I put the
disk in the external drive. About halfway through the loading of Macterminal
I get the following message:

       Got 10 Error -35 GetVInfo
      in Open Cache                    OK

I click ok and in a few seconds get another message:

       Disk space is very low. You
       will be unable to save lines
       off top.                        OK

Again I click OK and the program loads now and seems to work all right.

Questions: What does the first message mean? Why is booting from the
external drive different (is my new drive OK)?

I have also noticed that the external drive is much noiser that the internal
drive. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks, Dick