[ont.micro.mac] Mac Speed

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/08/84)

Date: 7 Jul 1984 15:37:27-EDT
From: uw-beaver!Edward.Tecot@CMU-CS-H
Subject: Mac Speed
To: post-fa-info-mac@CMU-CS-H
To: utcsrgv!peterr
To: microsof!infomac

The reason why most Mac programs are slow is because they are written in
Lisa Pascal.  With my recent introduction to writing Mac programs in C, I
can tell you that writing a program for the Mac is no simple task, many
things have to be taken into consideration, and from what I have seen in the
other software available, everyone but Bill Atkinson himself has done it
wrong.  Many inconsistencies are due to the fact that the Inside Mac
document is quite a bit behind the current standard, with certain standards
different (e.g., the feature-mumble commands for the edit menu).  These
Pascal programs are inherently slower and larger than assembly language
counterparts, and therefore slow down the Mac.  Finally, here is a request:
When you use MacPaint, each change increases the size of the file, it would
be nice if there was some way to condense the information (put it on the
screen and then force a screen dump, or something to that effect)

						_emt