[ont.micro.mac] Copy Protection

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: 03 Jul 84  1329 PDT
From: Peter Blicher <uw-beaver!PB@SU-AI.ARPA>
Subject: copy protection
To: pourne@MIT-MC.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

PB - Well, if you really want a solution, here's one.  First of all, things
will eventually get worse as everything becomes available in machine-readable
form--newspapers, magazines, books, etc.  If you can see it on a screen, you
can copy it, so copying can only be impeded, not prevented, unless the
hardware contains non-tamperable RSA boxes.  Here's the reasoning for another
solution.  As long as the user has to pay a significant fee for use, there will
be incentive for piracy.  Therefore use should be free.  As long as obtaining
stuff from the source is more convenient than copying, there will be
disincentive for piracy.  Therefore everything should be readily obtainable.
How does the originator get paid?  By the Government, of course.  More exactly,
some central organization provides the data, notes how many copies have been
sent out, and reimburses at some legislated rate (per word, per work, or
whatever).  Where does the money come from?  Taxation, either general (like
paying for the current copyright office, library of congress, roads for the
common good, etc.) or on the reproduction equipment.  To keep authors from
ordering infinite copies to get extra royalties, the system has to
allow only 1 copy per customer (in the appropriate sense--organizations
would get more).

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: Tue 3 Jul 84 18:08:26-PDT
From: Tony Siegman  <uw-beaver!SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Copy Protection (Minor Flame)
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

 [I'll rush this into print before Ed Patterman gets back and filters
all this minor-league flaming out of info-mac].

AES -- I'm appalled and rather surprised to read (per J. Pournelle) that
BIG companies frequently rip off software, including even relatively
low-priced stuff.

It's not that I think big companies are more moral than the rest of us; it's
just that they usually seem to at least follow a formal appearance of
playing by the rules, and then accomplishing any dirty deeds either by
bending the rules, slipping through loopholes, or perverting the rulemakers
themselves (i.e., making lots of big contributions to legislators and
politicians).  Also, it would seem almost easier for them to use their
buying power and negotiate a bulk price with the vendor for whatever
software they need.  Maybe some of this piracy is done by the troops at
lower levels, more or less without official knowledge, and really isn't
company policy.

Anyway, one counterweapon against the big guys might be just simply
publicity, and the resulting embarrassment.  There must be lots of ways the
names and unsocial acts of such companies could be put out on bboards and
nets, without running too much danger of getting a lawsuit in return.

-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/04/84)

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 84 02:03 PDT
From: uw-beaver!Gloger.es@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: Re: copy protection
To: Peter Blicher <PB@SU-AI.ARPA>
Cc: pourne@MIT-MC.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Hey, that's a really great idea, having the government pay for
everything and provide it free to us users!  As long as it's free, I
would like one of everything, of course, and so would almost everybody
else I know, but that's no problem, the government will be paying for it
anyway.

Actually, I think I can improve on your solution, and save the
government the chore of keeping track of how much to pay each source.
Just have the government pay $1000 per day to every person and be done
with it.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/05/84)

Date: 4 Jul 84 12:07 EDT
From: Richard Reich <uw-beaver!REICH@NYU-ACF1.ARPA>
To: SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA, INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: RE: Copy Protection (Minor Flame)
	Message of 3-JUL-1984 21:22 from Tony Siegman  <SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

PLEASE -- knock it off!  Dad's gone, guys, lets play with the...
THANKS!
-r
(PS- There are numerous lists DESIGNED for bullshit.  Please have fun there.
It makes it much easier for non-participants to avoid stepping in it.)

-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/06/84)

Date:           Thu, 5 Jul 84 10:13:08 PDT
From: Bob English <uw-beaver!lcc.bob@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
To: Peter Blicher <PB@SU-AI.ARPA>
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

This is similar to the arrangement worked out between ASCAP and
colleges regarding performance of music at athletic events.  The
colleges play a single license fee to ASCAP for the rights to all
ASCAP music.  ASCAP then distributes the royalties based on play
statistics, TV time, etc.

It doesn't involve the government.

--bob--

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/06/84)

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 84 10:57 PDT
From: uw-beaver!Bosseler.ES@XEROX.ARPA
To: Gloger.ES@XEROX.ARPA
Cc: Peter Blicher <PB@SU-AI.ARPA>, pourne@MIT-MC.ARPA, info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Paul

I think you missed the main point.  Not everyone would be QUALIFIED to
receive the free software - just registered software developers who have
paid a small fee to the "central organization" AND passed their entrance
requirements (just like defense contractors).  And of course the head of
that gov't department would be an intelligent, "career" bureaucrat just
like the ones managing public transportation, military procurement, and
the IRS.  The neat part about all this is that we would all get paid the
same no matter what the worth as long as the software was acceptable by
the bureaucrat.  And the public would pay and pay whether they wanted
the stuff or not - isn't that a novel idea?  After all, who is better
qualified to purchase and distribute software than the gov't?

Tom

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/07/84)

Date: 7 July 1984 04:21-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: SIEGMAN@SU-SIERRA
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

(1) recall, I was expressing the view of Borland International
(and in deed of Peter Winer of Think Tank) that big outfits copy
software and distribute it internally.  I have no evidence other
than that JPL does NOT do that.
(2) The publicity counterweapon seems ideal, provided that one
has real evidence of the practice; truth is a good defense at
libel actions.  I'd rather see lots of publicity about ripoff
outfits than see copy protection..

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/08/84)

Date: Sun, 8 Jul 84 00:41:24 edt
From: uw-beaver!allegra!cbosgd!mark (Mark Horton)
To: uw-beaver!info-mac

Working for a large corporation, perhaps I can shed a little light
on the reasons for copying.  (No, I haven't done any such illegal
copying, nor do I know anyone here who has.  But I've been tempted
a few times, and I can't say I never will.)

Big organizations have big bureaucracies to deal with.  Chances are
very good that these bureaucracies, called "purchasing", "receiving",
and the like, are unionized.  This means they effectively report to
nobody - they sure don't report to anybody who has anything to do
with the people we technical types report to.  They are also very
secure in their jobs (due to the union) and tend to get rotated
around to ensure that a new purchasing person is always being broken in.
They seldom have any incentive to make me happy.  (I'll have to tell
you about our clerk sometime - plays a mean game of rogue and gets
xerox copies back to us in about a week on the average.)

If I want a copy of the Framus C compiler, which costs $500, to get it
legally here's what I have to do.  First I have to talk to my supervisor
and orally get him/her to agree that I should buy it.  Then I fill out
a Xerox copy of a purchase order, listing what I want, what it costs,
a recommended supplier, what account to charge it to, and who I am.
(I'm luck that it's under $5000, if it weren't I'd have to either put
it out for bids (!) or write a letter explaining why I'm not putting it
out for bids.)  I take this form to the person who types up purchase
orders.  (I can't type it up myself because this person has to decide
what people have to sign it, and assign it a temporary PO number.)  The
form sits in this person's inbox for about a week until the person gets
around to typing it up.  They type it onto an official PO form and route
it to a half dozen or so people for signatures.  It's dropped into the
company mail to go to the first person (no, I can't wait and pick it up,
unless I want to wait a week.)  The first 3 or 4 people are all here in
the building, so if it doesn't get lost on someone's desk, within another
week it may have most of the signatures.  Then it goes via company mail
to the official purchasing organization in New Jersey.  They sign it,
assign it a real PO number, and phone it in.  If I'm not real anxious
for it, they'll drop it in the mail a few days later, and the supplier
will ship it after their own bureacracy is placated (often there are
a few passes through the mails to get a license signed.)  Then they
ship it.  It gets shipped UPS, and appears on our loading dock a few
days later.  If I'm lucky, the person on the loading dock won't lose
it or steal it (the unionized employees will sign for anything, but
this does not mean they take responsibility for it - if it disappears
that's our loss.  You'd be amazed at the things that have been stolen.)
A few days later, it suddenly shows up on my desk.  Total elapsed time:
one month minimum.

Or I could walk down the hall to my friend and borrow his disk for
5 minutes.