[ont.micro.mac] Info-mac policies on reverse engineering

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/11/84)

Date: 10 Jul 1984 1124-PDT
Subject: Info-mac policies on reverse engineering
From: Mike Schuster <uw-beaver!MIKES@CIT-20>
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

As Macintosh debugging environments improve, information on the 'inner
working' of Toolbox will be easier to obtain, via disassembly,
tracing, demons, etc.  On one hand, publication is indespensible to
software designers if the Mac is to live up to its conjectured
potential.  On the other hand, aren't there copyright, patent, and
trade secret issues?  What should Info-mac policy be concerning the
publication of information describing the design and operation of
Toolbox beyond what is widely available in Inside Mac?

Mike
(mikes@cit-20,mikes@cit-vax)
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (07/11/84)

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 84 11:54:20 pdt
From: Bill Croft <uw-beaver!croft@safe>
To: info-mac@sumex
Subject: re: Info-mac policies on reverse engineering

Mike,

I think your previous message containing hints for using the
various scrap managers was excellent, and I am certain that Apple
would agree and support such contributions.  As a counterexample,
submitting a disassembled listing of Quickdraw ROM routines
would certainly be unwise.  I think almost anything in between,
provided you use good judgement, would be welcomed by Apple and
Mac programmers.