[net.misc] what is this call in reference to?

trb@floyd.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (08/08/83)

Do you ever call someone at work and someone answers her phone
and asks what the call is in reference to?  This often happens
to me, and I don't really care to explain it to the phone
answerer.  I feel like saying "If I wanted to explain it to you,
I would have asked for you." I just figured out what to do in
this situation.  Say "I'm returning her call."

I hope that this might help someone through a sticky moment.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

halle1@houxz.UUCP (08/09/83)

In contrast to Andy, I usually tell the answerer why I am calling, even if
I am not asked.  Likewise, I prefer people, when they get my machine, to tell
me why they called.  This saves a lot of time in the long run because you
can be prepared for the call when you return it, or the one you called
can get the answer you need before returning the call.  Everyone is more
efficient.  The problem with Andy's solution is that if the message is relayed
as "returning your call" and there was no such call, you won't get a call
back.  Again, honesty is the best - and most efficient - policy.

jpj@mss.UUCP (08/10/83)

While we are on the subject of proper phone answering protocols allow me to
toss in my favorite gripe re: same - I have a phone answering machine at
home since I am never there.  In the interest of avoiding mass boredom, I
try to make my messages entertaining but alas this seems to generate either
of two responses - 1) Hang-up (very depressing to listen to) and 2) Unknown
time - it is *very* awkward to know how to respond to someone's plea to,
"call me right back!" when you haven't any idea *when* they called!

So please - as a general favor to all w/such devices - please say something
(clever, if possible!) and include in that something the date/time that you
called.

Cheers...

	Jim Jenal	(aka mss!jpj)

richl@tektronix.UUCP (Rick Lindsley) (08/15/83)

	From: trb@floyd.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum)
	Subject: what is this call in reference to?

	Do you ever call someone at work and someone answers her phone
	and asks what the call is in reference to?  This often happens
	to me, and I don't really care to explain it to the phone
	answerer.  I feel like saying "If I wanted to explain it to you,
	I would have asked for you." I just figured out what to do in
	this situation.  Say "I'm returning her call."

	I hope that this might help someone through a sticky moment.

		Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

Thank you, Andy "Anna Roseanna Danna" Tannenbaum for that insight on
everyday life. :-)

Rick Lindsley

laura@utcsstat.UUCP (08/16/83)

gee, Jim,
The first time I got your silly answering machine on the line, I laughed
myself silly until your mchine timed out. I couldnt get a word in --
I was too busy laughing hysterically. Maybe this is the source of your
mysterious hangups?

laura creighton
utzoo!utcsstat!laura

fair@ucbvax.UUCP (08/17/83)

The unfortunate part about Andy's advice is that the poor person on the
recieving end may be trying to get some work done!

The evil instrument promulgated by AT&T that sits so innocuously on my
desk rarely leaves me in peace. Thus do I tell the front desk to try and
screen my calls. Some are appropriate to answer right away, some can wait
for a call back, and some of them can wait until the devil is ice skating in
hell.

So why do I bother with news? Well, I'm doing that on my own time!

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa
			{ucbvax,amd70,zehntel}!dual!fair
			Dual Systems Corporation