[net.music.classical] Introduction to the Opera

randy@utcsrgv.UUCP (Randall S. Becker) (05/04/84)

Are there no opera fans out there in net.land?

While I have seen numerous suggestions regarding favourite instrumental
works, not once (to date) has anyone suggested an opera (Overtures have
been mentioned, but not entire works).

Allow me then to put in my two cents:

	Rossini: The Barber of Seville
		Conductor: Emile Chakarov (sp?)
		Metropolitan Opera (I think) 1984.

I could not tell you who starred but the "live (no flames)" recording
is available, somewhere.

--
		Randall S. Becker

		Usenet:	{dalcs,dciem,garfield,musocs,qucis,sask,titan,
			 trigraph,ubc-vision,utzoo,watmath,allegra,cornell,
			 decvax,decwrl,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!randy
		CSNET:	randy@Toronto
		ARPA:	randy%Toronto@CSNet-Relay

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (05/07/84)

I have tried to get interested in opera a couple of times with little success,
but I have discovered light opera, especially the works of Gilbert & Sullivan.
Pirates of Penzance happens to be a wonderful piece of music. Question of the
day would have to be whether or not it belongs in net.music.classical... :->

chuq
--
From the closet of anxieties of:			Chuq Von Rospach
{amd70,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui			(408) 733-2600 x242

Half asleep I hear a voice; is it only in my mind?
Or is it someone calling me, someone I failed and left behind?

rcd@opus.UUCP (05/08/84)

<>
>Are there no opera fans out there in net.land?

At the risk of extending the protracted discussion of net.music.classical
(which is not my intent), I'll toss in <$.02 worth:  I've found that liking
for opera is determined only a little by liking for classical music.  My
own, personal opinion (i.e., it's not worth flaming me about) is that opera =
good music + a bunch of clowns shouting/singing so you can't hear the
musicians.  If they'd shut up and let the orchestra play, I'd like it fine,
but then it wouldn't be opera.  The matter of language is another thing - I
know only a little German and no Italian; for all I can tell, the guy who's
singing is only telling his wife that he's going to the corner store for a
six-pack.  (The language thing is NOT just cultural bigotry.  I know it's
difficult to translate lyrics while maintaining rhyme, rhythm, etc. - but
it's even harder to teach the entire audience a new language.  And a
question - would it be as captivating if you understood them?  I'm
serious.)
--
...Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.		Dick Dunn
{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd				(303) 444-5710 x3086

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (05/09/84)

My father, who enjoys opera very much, refuses to listen to it in
English (the only language he speaks).  He says that he can't really
understand the words no matter what language they're sung in, but when
they're sung in English he'll sit there and strain to hear them; when
the opera is in Italian or German, however, he can simply relax and
enjoy the singing as music.

[To me, it's all just a bunch of Katzenjammer anyway...]

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

amigo@iwpba.UUCP (amigo) (05/09/84)

I agree that Rossini's BARBER OF SEVILLE is a good opera to start
with for a beginner.  Another good one is Bizet's CARMEN (which is
the answer to one of my favourite trivia questions:  In which opera
in the standard repetoire does the tenor lose the soprano to the
baritone?).

Also, Verdi's AIDA is a good first opera for those who like the
nineteenth century Italians.

The best opera in English that I can think of for a beginner is
probably Mennotti's AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS.  Keep the
neophytes away from Ralph Vaughn Williams (especially RIDERS TO THE
SEA), and if they mention Benjamin Britten, say "Oh yes, he wrote
YOUNG PERSON'S GUIDE TO THE ORCHESTRA."

If they express a desire for Richard Strauss, take them to DER
ROSENKAVALIER, not to ELEKTRA.

If they mention Berg's WOZZECK or LULU, change the subject.

Whether or not to introduce them to Wagner is a problem.
Personally, I like Wagner in small doses, the trouble is that one
never gets Wagner in small doses (I once saw THE FLYING DUTCHMAN,
and, even though my German is pretty good, I thought that it just
dragged on and on).  Tell them that people tend either to love or
hate Wagner, and that he is often an aquired taste.

			John Hobson
			AT&T Bell Labs--Naperville, IL
			ihnp4!iwpba!amigo (NOTE TEMPORARY MACHINE)

P.S.  How about some suggestions on introductory ballets?

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (05/09/84)

Chuq Von Rospach writes:

>I have tried to get interested in opera a couple of times with little success,
>but I have discovered light opera, especially the works of Gilbert & Sullivan.
>Pirates of Penzance happens to be a wonderful piece of music. Question of the
>day would have to be whether or not it belongs in net.music.classical... :->

Most of us agree the the term classical music for the sake of
net.music.classical should be defined loosely.  It is up
to the each contibutor to make his/her judgment what is suitable
for posting.  I don't think anyone should be apologetic,
concerning his/her definition of classical music.
--

Yosi Hoshen
Bell Laboratories

cpma@vice.UUCP (John Thomas) (05/13/84)

Why not go First Class and get a LaserDisk of the La Traviata
movie??  If *that* doesn't hook you, there is just no hope.
A number of confirmed Opera Haters have all relented upon
seeing/hearing this number.  With the english subtitles,
it's opera like it was supposed to be (accessible).  There is
also a good book about La Traviata (including the play on which
it was based) published by the Met.

elf@utcsrgv.UUCP (Eugene Fiume) (05/14/84)

Someone made the interesting observation that there isn't necessarily
a correlation between liking opera and liking "classical" music.  Indeed,
opera is itself so diverse that it's hard to compare the various styles.
There's also an amazing difference between listening to a recorded opera and
seeing a performance of one.  If you are willing to suspend your cynicism,
a live performance, with all its pomp and extroversion, can be a moving
experience.

I guess the images of opera that should be overcome are those of some
male or female beefcake belting out a pretty aria, horns and chestplate
optional.

Be warned that the libretto is not always the best possible representative
of Italian, French, or German literature.  The Italian libretti I've
looked at take a lot of euphonic liberties with the language.

Those of you who are tentative about opera may want to try out other
kinds of vocal music.  The masses, chansons, and masses by earlier
composers such as des Prez and Monteverdi are often lovely.
The King's Singers are probably a good introduction to this music,
since their albums are spiced with lots of variety, most of it
exceptionally well-performed.
Benjamin Britten's War Requiem (I don't think of it as an opera) is very
beautiful and surprisingly understated, considering the subject matter (guess).
Stephen Foster's songs are often sentimental, but who can deny the brilliance
of "Beautiful Dreamer".   Of course there are all the other songs & cycles
by better-knowns like Schubert and Wolf (well, maybe Wolf isn't so well-known).

Eugene Fiume
U of Toronto

yee@ucbvax.UUCP (Peter E. Yee) (05/15/84)

I have to agree that most Wagner tends to become a little tedious.  Most likely
this stems from the fact that I have not studied the music in depth, and can
not really appreciate it from an academic point of view.  One notable exception
for me is Tannhauser (sp?), an opera to which I could listen, and listen, and
listen.  The music seems to flow better, and is a little more sprightly then
the dark and brooding Ring.

In the way of introductory operas, let me suggest Puccini's La Boheme, which
though tragic has delightfully lively music.  I have an old copy starring
Anna Moffo, and it is probably the most played opera in the house.

Does any one have suggestions as to which version of the Ring is the "best",
and why?  I am still trying to learn to enjoy, and have managed to buy
Das Rheingold(DeutsheGrammaphone) and Seigfried(London).  No CD's, thank-you,
since I can't afford the player!

						Peter Yee
						yee@Berkeley.ARPA
						..ucbvax!yee

dep@allegra.UUCP (Dewayne E. Perry) (05/17/84)

For those of you who find Dickie Wagner tedious and suspect that it is
because you 'have not studied' take heart:

     Wagner is better than he sounds!

(or is it 'Wagner sounds better than he is'??)

ags@pucc-i (Seaman) (05/18/84)

>  For those of you who find Dickie Wagner tedious and suspect that it is
>  because you 'have not studied' take heart:
>
>       Wagner is better than he sounds!
>
>  (or is it 'Wagner sounds better than he is'??)

Wasn't it Gracie Allen who said that Wagner's music is

	"not as bad as it sounds"?
--

Dave Seaman
..!pur-ee!pucc-i:ags

"Against people who give vent to their loquacity
by extraneous bombastic circumlocution."