[net.music.classical] "Ode to Joy" Plagiarism

parker@psuvax.UUCP (Bruce Parker) (05/23/84)

Dewayne Perry writes:

> One of Brahms' students was analyzing a composition of Brahms and pointed
> out that one of themes was from a piece by another composer.

> Brahms' reply: "Any ass can see that!"

Not quite.  During the rehearsal of his 1st Symphony, someone pointed
out the similarity between the principal theme of the last movement
with the corresponding theme from Beethoven's 9th.  Thus Brahms's reply.

Stravinsky noted that it was not whether one plagiarized, but what
one did with the material you stole.  In Brahms's case, he took a silly
drinking song to which Beethoven had taken a maudlin fancy and gave it
a slightly improved setting (assuming you prefer Brahms's murky
orchestration and sonata form over Beethoven's set of variations).
The next step is to notice that Mahler uses the same theme
in a minor key to open his 3rd Symphony.  Personally I have no love
for this theme -- it seems little better than the diddling that
passes for melodies which Vivaldi or Pachelbel scribbled --
however it does serve as a rather obvious example of plagiarism.

Bruce Parker

PS: The Introduction to "Le Sacrifice" from "Le Sacre du Printemps"
    is the source for Williams's The Desert music from Star Wars
    (when the robots crash land on Dantooine (sp?)).