[net.music.classical] edit music

dws@mit-eddie.UUCP (Don Saklad) (05/21/84)

From genrad!decvax!trwrb!trwrba!suhre Sat May 19 17:23:30 1984
Date: Sat, 19 May 84 02:05:47 edt
From: decvax!trwrb!trwrba!suhre
To: trwrb!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!dws
Subject: Music Editing

There was an article in the BYTE magazine recently about music
editing.  They described a system where you could "play" on
some sort of keyboard and the electronics would determine pitch
and duration.  Then there would be a pseudo-score created.  Since
we might not play exactly right, there would be funny times, melody
not emphasized, and phrases and dynamics needing to be added.

There was some fancy editing available.

I believe that stuff was fairly expensive but I don't remember for
sure.  There might be some simpler/cheaper stuff mentioned also.
Anyway, it might be a pointer to get started.  My suggestion is
to try back 2-5 months, maybe a little longer.  Don't go back more
than one year because I'm sure I saw it relatively recently;  I may
not have been looking at a current issue.

Good luck.

Maurice

From ihnp4!decvax!dartvax!lorien Mon May 21 15:22:48 1984
Date: Mon, 21 May 84 10:27:53 edt
From: ihnp4!decvax!dartvax!lorien (Lorien Y. Pratt)
To: decvax!harpo!ulysses!burl!mgnetp!ihnp4!mit-eddie!dws
Subject: Re: music editing

I know that the folks that make the Synclavier synthesizer, New
England Digital, of White River Junction, VT make something they
call Script, I think.  This allows you to play on the keyboard
and the notes you play are posted to a document.  You can
then move them around and have the synthesizer play them back to
you.  I don't know much more, I just had it demonstrated to me
onced and was very impressed!

      --Lorien Y. Pratt
	Dartmouth College Library
	Hanover, NH  03755

	decvax!dartvax!lorien

gtaylor@cornell.UUCP (05/22/84)

The music editor described in the BYTE article might wellllllll
be the Mockingbird, which was originally developed on a Xerox
DOrado (which we can ALLLLLL afford). It was interfaced with a
cheesy Yamaha e-piano, and wrote an approximate time-corrected
version of the score, which was then checked over (for staves,
spacing, beaming, etc.

It will be interesting to watch this work, as many of the same
basic concepts about software design found on the Dorado appear
in some form on the Macintosh. I have already heard lovely rumours
from friends here and abroad that some music editors may be in
development soon for the Mac. It would certainly be cost effective,
to say the least. Probably we'd have to wait for more memory.

The Synclavier printer and editor is all it's cracked up to be
(I only wish we had it on the "no-heater, no whitewalls"
Synclavier I work on!). But SCRIPT per se as I remember it is
a more old-fashioned computer music language, consisting of
instructions grouped like regular structured programming
instructions. To its credit, John Appleton and Co. have made
a decent, flexible, and useful version of that way of working
available.

gtaylor

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (05/23/84)

With the advent of MIDI, expect more and more independent software
to be written with just that purpose in mind---composing and editing
music.  The companies who are supporting MIDI (including, I think,
New England Digital) fully expect many "build-it-from-scratch" types
to create such software themselves for MIDI compatible systems.  Roland
has even published the specs on their MIDI interface controller, so
that this can take place without having people break open their boxes.

(I believe the Synclavier is or will be MIDI-compatible, and the
Kurzweil will definitely be. <--what a piano sound!)

[PLEASE POST FURTHER ARTICLES ON THIS AND OTHER GENERAL MUSIC TOPICS
 TO NET.MUSIC IN ADDITION TO/INSTEAD OF NET.MUSIC.CLASSICAL, SO THAT ALL
 MUSIC LOVERS MAY BENEFIT.]

(Do you realize that the original intended purpose of the original
 newsgroup net.music [in some charter or other] was for discussion
 of computer applications in music?)
--
"You are not scream.  You are not I-scream!!!"
						Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

gtaylor@cornell.UUCP (05/23/84)

Yep, the good dr. Rosen is once again dead on target. I got a copy
of the MIDI specs, and they look really wonderful with the exception
of the last page of the document I received: the dreaded "reserved
system" listing of little prefacing codes for individual manufacturers:
Only problem is, "WHAT ARE THEY??????" So far I've determined that
the Yamaha DX series keyboards (which I'm looking into getting so I
don't have to lean on the Synclavier at someone else's studio) don't
understand the "unison" mode in the same way as everyone else (in digital
you usually get a signal which is merely louder rather than thicker
when you've got stuff in unison). It's not at all clear how the individual
manufacturers will use the stuff for voice assignment, other keyboard
tunings (it looks like you could do it by either begging Yamaha to
burn you a prom or two or by hosing around with the microtonal possibilities
provided that the sys allows you to individually do different bends on
different notes in the "record" mode.

g(angel trumpets, devil trombones...)taylor