[net.music.classical] Looking for classical-sounding modern composers

mej@hlwpc.UUCP (Michael Jacobs) (10/26/84)

Can anyonerecommend a modern composer
who's music sounds "classical," either
in a baroque or a romantic sense?
Everything I've heard that's been written
in the last fifty years is either atonal,
amelodic, repetitive (e.g. P. Glass) or
simplistic (J. Williams).  Doesn't anyone
write beautiful, melodic, serious music
anymore?

lwc@mgweed.UUCP (Larry Ciesla) (10/27/84)

I am a new reader to this newsgroup and a lover of classical music.
With that aside, I'll say something outrageous:  NEARLY EVERYTHING WRITTEN
AS CLASSICAL MUSIC IN THE LAST 50 YEARS IS GARBAGE!!!  It's as though
composers forgot that they are supposed to be writing music that people
can enjoy - that is pleasing to the ear.  I've tried - really tried, to
enjoy this stuff.  My impression is that most modern composers are trying
to outdo each other by writing music that sounds as if it originated on
MARS!  I'd rather listen to ROCK and ROLL.  At least you can dance to it!

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (10/27/84)

===============
Can anyonerecommend a modern composer
who's music sounds "classical," either
in a baroque or a romantic sense?
Everything I've heard that's been written
in the last fifty years is either atonal,
amelodic, repetitive (e.g. P. Glass) or
simplistic (J. Williams).  Doesn't anyone
write beautiful, melodic, serious music
anymore?
===============
Just this week heard the Toronto Symphony and the Toronto Childrens' Choir
give the world premiere of Andrew Davis' "Chansons Innocentes", which
seems to be just what you want (and original, as well).  (Andrew Davis
conducting).
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

kevyn@watarts.UUCP (K. Collins-Thompson Math Frosh @ U of Waterloo) (10/28/84)

     I attended an Andre Gagnon concert here at the University a couple
of weeks ago; it was excellent (and not just because he's a >gulp<
CANADIAN).  He played, among other Romantic works by Chopin, Schumann,
etc., some of his own piano compositions.  The first, which was titled,
"Neiges" (i.e. "Snow") reflects his style.  It was "flowing", rich in
harmony, and  subtle in  its rhythms.    He has released  several
recordings (sorry, I don't know which company), including an album en-
titled "Neiges" which was very "popular" in Canada.  BUT IT'S NOT MUZAK!
     It's not "classical" either, but it's the closest thing there is to
music which I think will never be able to be "re-created".  And this is
perhaps not at all a Bad Thing.

[ Celibacy is not hereditary ]
[ "Oh my!", said God. "I suppose I don't exist!" And he disappeared in a
  puff of logic.]
Kevyn Collins-Thompson   ...watarts!kevyn     [but I'm NOT an artsie...]
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont., CANADA Eh?

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (10/29/84)

How modern do you wnat your composers to be?  There must be many
who would satisfy your requirements, but in general, the older
their music is, the easier they are to find.  Try:

The Hungarian composer Ligeti.  Very witty, and not too atonal.
(He has a piano piece that begins with the same note, palyed many times
in different octaves, for over one minute.  It's much mroe interesting
than you one can imagine.)

Try Stravinsky before he went atonal.  He went through a classical
period, which emphasizes his unique rhythms, and otherwise tends to
sound classical.  Example pieces -- the violin sonata, symphony in C.

Try Hindemith, the pianoi sonatas, Mathis der maler, or the clarinet,
bassoon, viola sonatas, etc.

	- Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
	allegra!eosp1!robison
	or: decvax!ittvax!eosp1!robison
	or (emergency): princeton!eosp1!robison

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (10/30/84)

In article <13129@mgweed.UUCP> lwc@mgweed.UUCP (Larry Ciesla) writes:
>  NEARLY EVERYTHING WRITTEN
>AS CLASSICAL MUSIC IN THE LAST 50 YEARS IS GARBAGE!!!

EVERYTHING?  EVERYTHING?  Even Vaughn Williams, Benjamin Britten and
Howard Hanson?  Them's fighten words!  (But then I *LIKE* Messiaen...)

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/30/84)

> I am a new reader to this newsgroup and a lover of classical music.
> With that aside, I'll say something outrageous:  NEARLY EVERYTHING WRITTEN
> AS CLASSICAL MUSIC IN THE LAST 50 YEARS IS GARBAGE!!!  It's as though
> composers forgot that they are supposed to be writing music that people
> can enjoy - that is pleasing to the ear.  I've tried - really tried, to
> enjoy this stuff.  My impression is that most modern composers are trying
> to outdo each other by writing music that sounds as if it originated on
> MARS!  I'd rather listen to ROCK and ROLL.  At least you can dance to it!

I'll lay odds you ain't a new net user, though - only an old hand would try
to start a violent and pointless controversy as earnestly as you are.

Actually, modern composers *are* trying to write music that sounds like it
comes from Mars. Martian composers have a tremendously advanced music (far
superior to the Residents, for instance) and many composers would Van Gogh
an inner ear to be able to write stuff like that.

Back to your primordial semi-intellectual slime, Earthling!

						O^web Y
				(sorry, best I can do with roman letters)
				   ...!moskvax!kremvax!olympus_mons!OwY332
				     (ignore name and address in header)

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/31/84)

> In article <13129@mgweed.UUCP> lwc@mgweed.UUCP (Larry Ciesla) writes:
> >  NEARLY EVERYTHING WRITTEN
> >AS CLASSICAL MUSIC IN THE LAST 50 YEARS IS GARBAGE!!!
>
> EVERYTHING?  EVERYTHING?  Even Vaughn Williams, Benjamin Britten and
> Howard Hanson?  Them's fighten words!  (But then I *LIKE* Messiaen...)
> [BARRY KERCHEVAL]

Obviously this has gone far enough.  I speak for many people (one, actually)
when I say that we (I) are (am) sick of having to weed through all these
discussions about 20th century music, which is of course all garbage.  Thus
we (I) propose a new subgroup, called net.music.classical.real, which will
leave those who clutter this newsgroup with talk of 20th century so-called
music, and allow the rest of us who wish only to discuss real music the
privacy of our own newsgroup.

[THE PREVIOUS ARTICLE WAS SATIRE, AND IS NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS OPINION, FACT,
 OR ANYTHING IN BETWEEN.]
--
"Good thing I didn't say anything about the dirty *knife*!"
						Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (11/02/84)

> Can anyonerecommend a modern composer
> who's music sounds "classical," either
> in a baroque or a romantic sense?
> Everything I've heard that's been written
> in the last fifty years is either atonal,
> amelodic, repetitive (e.g. P. Glass) or
> simplistic (J. Williams).  Doesn't anyone
> write beautiful, melodic, serious music
> anymore?

Is your last question serious? If so, your looking in all the wrong places.
What makes you think atonal music isn't melodic? A careful listening of
Berg's Wozzeck or Lulu reveals much beautiful music. But then, I guess
these are moldy oldies now...

You know, I really get nostalgic for a good absolute monarchy now and then.
These modern democracies just don't have the glory and purpose of a Louis XIV,
know what I mean?

				I am worse than you think,
					Jeff Winslow

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (11/12/84)

How about Alan Hovanes? (spelling approximate).
--
Robert Reed, Logic Design Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr