[net.music] Bronski Beat's "The Age of Consent"

gerber@mit-athena.ARPA (Andrew S Gerber) (12/29/84)

*> (me-Andrew S. Gerber)
*>What was so interesting about the record was the difference between the
*>cover and the jacket inside.  Only someone well-versed in gay "signs"
*>would recognize the meaning of the pink triangle on the back cover.
*>Once you buy the record, however, and take it home, you open it up and
*>see the inside jacket. On one side are pictures of the band members, and
*>the other a HUGE pink triangle with the song lyrics superimposed over
*>it, and the age of consent for gay sex in many contries around the
*>world. (If anyone wants a copy, send me mail, I'll send you the list).
*>There was also the number for the National Gay Task Force with their
*>office hours.

>Interesting.  The Canadian version of the album (manufactured and distributed
>by Polygram Canada) has only the lyrics plus the usual performance/recording
>credits on the sleeve.  No "age of consent" list.

>By the way, what DOES the pink triangle mean?
(Dave Martindale)

During WW2, Hitler tried to exterminate several groups of people, not
just the jews, (though, of course, the Jews were the largest group that
was killed).  For the Jews, a law was passed where they had to wear
yellow stars of David on their cloths to identify them as jews. Gay
people had to weat pink triangles to identify themselves as gay. This is
how the pink triangle started as an identification for gay people.  Now,
the pink triangle is a source of pride for some gay people, and they
wear a pink triangle as a sign to the world saying (YES-I'M GAY).
Actually, some people dislike the whole idea because it identifies back
to the atrocities of WW2.  I much prefer a button that says "Does Your
Mother Know You're Out", worn by a good friend of mine who sometimes
reads this newsgroup. (Hi Robert).

I wonder why Polygram Canada chose to censor the Ages of Consent on the
record sleeve?  Did they also remove the number for the National Gay
Task Force?  Perhaps Canada is more archaic than the US?  I'm not sure.

				1985-What a Concept!

			Andrew S. Gerber
			decvax!mit-athena!gerber
			gerber%charon@MIT-MC.ARPA

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (12/31/84)

In article <94@mit-athena.ARPA> gerber@mit-athena.ARPA (Andrew S Gerber) writes:

>I wonder why Polygram Canada chose to censor the Ages of Consent on the
>record sleeve?  Did they also remove the number for the National Gay
>Task Force?  Perhaps Canada is more archaic than the US?  I'm not sure.

There is no number for the National Gay Task Force, but that didn't surprise
me since I assumed that it was a U.S. organization, and I wouldn't expect it
to appear with a Canadian-manufactured disc.  Does anyone have a copy of
the album imported from England?  Is the "age of consent" list present
on it?  (Canada is more archaic than the U.S. in at least some ways.
Ask me about the Ontario Censor Board sometime.)

There is also an EP that has Smalltown Boy on it along with a few other
songs.  Does it have any of this information on its sleeve?
(I've been told that the EP version of the song has a long introduction,
and is thus more interesting.  If I'd known that, I would have bought it
instead of the album.  Grr.)