[net.music.classical] Anyone out there like Aaron Copland

linwood@jett.UUCP (01/09/85)

.
Is there anyone out there that likes Aaron Copland (besides me)?
I know there must be at least one, since there were 2 who liked
him on the favorite composer poll.

	- Linwood Varney (Jett Unix System, Huntsville, AL)
	  {ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!jett!linwood
	  zaiaz!jett!linwood

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (01/15/85)

In article <389@jett.UUCP> linwood@jett.UUCP writes:
>.
>Is there anyone out there that likes Aaron Copland (besides me)?

I do! I didn't really pay much attention to his music until
Leonard Bernstein and the Los Angeles Philharmonic came to
town 3 years ago and played "Appalachian Spring" (among other
things) - I loved it, drove straight to Tower Records and
bought a recording! Then, about a year ago, the San Francisco
Symphony played his 3rd Symphony - a spine-tingling performance
which brought the house down. Too bad all you ever hear on the
radio, over and over, is "Fanfare for the Common Man" - a worthy
candidate for wildbill's Warhorse Retirement Stable :-)
--

 rod williams                       "...I said STIRRED, with an OLIVE
 dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw                ...not SHAKEN, with a TWIST!"

zadco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Rick Fairfield) (01/17/85)

> .
> Is there anyone out there that likes Aaron Copland (besides me)?
> I know there must be at least one, since there were 2 who liked
> him on the favorite composer poll.
>
> 	- Linwood Varney (Jett Unix System, Huntsville, AL)
> 	  {ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!jett!linwood
> 	  zaiaz!jett!linwood

Yes, I like Copland's music very much, thank you.

							zzzzzadco

greg@olivej.UUCP (Greg Paley) (01/17/85)

I've heard chamber works of Copland's that I've found self-
consciously "contemporary" - arid and unexpressive.  Many of
the more popular works I find very beautiful, including
"Appalachian Spring", "Rodeo", "Billy the Kid".  In my opinion
he has also achieved what many have tried and failed to do:
write a contemporary American opera in English ("The Tender
Land") which actually warrants performance for reasons other
than the mere facts that it is contemporary, American, and
in English.  Actually, I find the text of the opera less than
riveting, but, as with such operas as Verdi's "Il Trovatore",
the music provides the eloquence and depth to the characters
that is not done by the text itself.

	- Greg Paley

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (01/22/85)

You bet!! I find his music exciting. Not drab and dull
like some other "classical" music.

Anybody else discover Copland via Emerson, Lake & Palmer?

edward
...cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!edward

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Pesmard Flurrmn) (01/24/85)

> In article <7301@brl-tgr.ARPA> Carl Moore writes:
> >Well, I have done Hoe-Down 3 times in the last 16 years with various
> >orchestras.  And I recall the following being the theme for "CBS Reports"
> >(?) TV show in 1960s.  (Numbers in parentheses indicate how many beats,
> >of which this rendition has 4 per measure. Notes are in the octave starting
> >from Middle C and going up, unless "low" is used.)
> >
> >low-G(1) | C(3) D(1) | E(1) C(1) E(1) F(1) | G(3) F(1) |
> >
> >E(2) D(1) C(1) | D(2) low-G(2) | low-G(4)
>
> Could this be the Shaker Hymn, "Simple Gifts", which has been use by MANY
> composers in many places, not the least of which is Colecovision's
> "Smurf Rescue" (yecch, but my 5-yr old niece loves it)??
>     Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)

I think Carl is referring to a very "Coplandesque" arrangement of this passage,
utilizing (what sounds like) Copland's semi-polytonality (involving basic
triadic chords with "inappropriate" notes in the bass register).  I recall
such a piece being used as the opening theme for various movies and television
programs.  Can anyone identify it?
--
"I don't understand.  Is it modern?"		Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

ags@pucc-i (Dave Seaman) (01/28/85)

>> Could this be the Shaker Hymn, "Simple Gifts", which has been use by MANY
>> composers in many places, not the least of which is Colecovision's
>> "Smurf Rescue" (yecch, but my 5-yr old niece loves it)??
>
>I think Carl is referring to a very "Coplandesque" arrangement of this passage,
>utilizing (what sounds like) Copland's semi-polytonality (involving basic
>triadic chords with "inappropriate" notes in the bass register).  I recall
>such a piece being used as the opening theme for various movies and television
>programs.  Can anyone identify it?

I believe the passage you are referring to occurs near the end of
"Appalachian Spring."
--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-i:ags