[net.music.classical] What do you want to talk about?

malik@star.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) (02/08/85)

	Not much activity in net.music.classical recently.

	So, I propose the following; list 5 topics for conversation
that you would like to see discussed in this newsgroup.

	Perhaps that will stimulate some discussion.

						- K  a  r  l -

wildbill@ucbvax.ARPA (William J. Laubenheimer) (02/11/85)

One thing there seems to be a dearth of is performance information.
What are people going to these days? Soloists? Chamber groups?
Orchestras (large or small)? What genres: old, new, something in between,
a mixture? Operas? And so forth...

Are there any netters who go to concerts regularly (or perhaps irregularly)?
Or does everybody sit home and play their audiophile LPs and CDs through
stereo systems which draw only slightly less power than ENIAC I?

Amidst all this talk of new releases and "why my CD doesn't reproduce a
44kHz square wave" and "who cares if your CD doesn't ...", everybody seems
to have forgotten the incomparably greater thrill of being where the
music is made. Or maybe those who do are too busy going to concerts to
post news...

Reviews of concerts would be interesting too. Some groups get around.
Some people get around, too. It might be useful to someone in a town
"on business" to know there's an orchestra in the vicinity worth listening to
instead of sitting in the ol' hotel room watching another dumb movie on TV.

How about it, folks? Interestedly awaiting results,

                                        Bill Laubenheimer
----------------------------------------UC-Berkeley Computer Science
     ...Killjoy went that-a-way--->     ucbvax!wildbill

pete@umich.UUCP (02/12/85)

> 	Not much activity in net.music.classical recently.
>
> 	So, I propose the following; list 5 topics for conversation
> that you would like to see discussed in this newsgroup.

How about this question -- Will therre ever be an electronic keyboard
that sounds like a 9-foot grand?

The Asian Prince

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (02/15/85)

<---------
In article <161@umich.UUCP> pete@umich.UUCP writes:
>> 	Not much activity in net.music.classical recently.
>> 	So, I propose the following; list 5 topics for conversation
>> that you would like to see discussed in this newsgroup.
>How about this question -- Will therre ever be an electronic keyboard
>that sounds like a 9-foot grand?

Yes, and at the price of concert grands (have you priced a 9ft Steinway
recently?), it will probably be damn good.

Bob Langridge				(UUCP: [...]!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!rl)
Computer Graphics Laboratory		(ARPA: rl@ucbvax
926 Medical Sciences			          or
University of California		       langridge@sumex-aim)
San Francisco
CA  94143				(Phone: +1 415 666 2630)

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick Cuccia) (02/18/85)

> > 	Not much activity in net.music.classical recently.
> >
> > 	So, I propose the following; list 5 topics for conversation
> > that you would like to see discussed in this newsgroup.
> >
> How about this question -- Will therre ever be an electronic keyboard
> that sounds like a 9-foot grand?
>
> The Asian Prince

Or how about:

Are there any recordings out of any of Paul Hindemith's
choral works?  Some of my favorite 20th century choral
music is by Hindemith, but realtively little of it is
in print.

On a similar topic:

It seems that, at least in California, the current rage
in choral music is modern Swedish--Lars Edlund, Egil
Hovland, etc.  Thirty or so years ago in New England
it was Hindemith.  What I'm curious about is what various
groups around the country are singing--not just the
standard Bach/Beethoven/Mozart fare, but who are the
'big' composers?  Britten, Richard Felciano, Andrew
Imbrie, and Kirke Mechem seem 'big' locally (the bay
area), but the latter three either are currently or
once were affiliated with UC-Berkeley, Stanford, or
Univ. of San Francisco.

--Nick Cuccia
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley
--...!ucbvax!cuccia

prk@charm.UUCP (prk) (02/18/85)

	I have two short comments about new things I've recently
read on this net:

	1. CD vs. BSO:  Until this year, I listened to records and
rarely went to concert, mostly because of convenience.  Now that I
live across the river from New York, I'm getting out more often.
Live performances do have a certain charm, but I must say that
captioned films (eg "Live from the Met") seem to me to be the ideal
way to experience opera.  Who wants to have to buy a libretto or
score and try to read it in the dark, while singers and actors
are rushing around on stage?  I'm even considering buying a good
TV for this.

	2.Concert review:  I recently went to hear a bass trombone
recital at