[net.music.classical] teaching music using stereos

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/26/85)

In article <949@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>Some years ago, like 1/3 century, a friend of mine was a music major
>at the University of Pennsylvania.  She was taught that as a musical
>person it was her duty to avoid phonograph records and artificially
>reproduced music. Of course she should attend live music performances
>as her means allowed. Pianos and other real instruments in the home
>were ok, but phonographs must be stamped out before they stamped out
>musicians.
>My question is (music majors please note), do they still teach that
>sort of s*it in music schools today?
>--
>
>"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

in a similar vein, those of you interested in this might want to look up the
"Audio, Etc." column of Audio for the last few years.  in this column are
miscellaneous ramblings of Edward Tatnall Canby, Editor of Audio and his
experiences of trying to teach music in various colleges in the 30's and
40's.  a random thing i remember from the articles:

	it seems that almost all music teachers of the time were
	ignorant of electronics and other things as phonographs (and
	they had every reason to be; phonographs were unnatural).  they
	tended to turn the volume all the way up and leave it there
	while do such things as hunting for the right track.  for those
	of you who don't know, turning a stereo "all the way up" is
	about as wrong a way as possible to get high volume AND
	intelligible sound.  suffice it to say the distortion was
	horrible and it was truly amazing that people thought this was
	the way "electronic" reproduction of music was fated to be.
	needless to say, this idea has persisted for quite a while and
	may even now be propogated.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu