[net.music.classical] questions

malik@helos.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) (02/18/85)

>I.  What are the all-time great recordings?  This makes more sense than
>asking what single recording you would take to a desert island.

	Not to me it doesn't. It will just start another flurry of
'this is great.' 'No, it isn't.' 'Yes, it is.' type arguments. The
desert island question avoids such an unfruitful exchange and asks,
simply, what you enjoy listening to.

>II.  What musical masterpieces are underappreciated or underperformed, in
>your opinion?  Of course, we can start by listing whole categories, such as
>chamber music, Renaissance music, contemporary music, and contemporary
>Renaissance music, but I am more interested in individual works or composers.

	I dislike the word 'masterpiece'. At best, it's personal opinion,
at worst, advertizing hype. It also misleads people into an unquestioning
type of reverence which is the antithesis of careful listening.

	What is 'contemporary Renaissance music'?

>III.  Careers in music:  Am I the only person on the net who is currently
>studying for a career in music?  (I'm a pianist.)  Are there professional
>musicians on the net?  Is anyone considering a musical career?  Has anyone
>tried it and given it up?  Am I the only one who thinks I'm crazy?

	Why should you think you're crazy?  You've been hanging around
with too many Yuppies. I know a number of professional musicians. You're
not going to get rich (or at least the odds are against you), but in
terms of an interesting and satisfying life, it can't be beat.

	I taught piano for a few years, and was a dance accompanist for
a few more. I have lots of good memories, and don't regret it one bit.

	Much luck to you!

							- Karl

jlg@lanl.ARPA (02/21/85)

> 	What is 'contemporary Renaissance music'?

It right over there, next to the 2-week old 'vintage' wine and the
modern 'classic' literature you've heard so much about. 8-)

J. Giles

jacobo@cadvax (Jacobo Bulaevsky) (03/01/85)

In article <decwrl.613> malik@helos.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) writes:
>>I.  What are the all-time great recordings?  This makes more sense than
>>asking what single recording you would take to a desert island.
>
>The desert island question avoids such an unfruitful exchange and asks,
> simply, what you enjoy listening to.

ABSOLUTELY!!! There is no better way to ask this ancient question of
the preferred piece than with the island question.  It goes directly to
the point and assumes (very important) same circumstances for all people
interested in answering it.  Additionally assumes that if you are taking
one piece (or say 5, 10) to this desert island, you will be listening
it for the rest of your life.

Let the island be in the south pacific.

							Jacobo
--
UUCP:   {decvax!decwrl, ucbvax, ihnp4} !sun!megatest!jacobo
	{lbl-csam, amd, ubvax} !megatest!jacobo