[net.music.classical] Music Majors Attention - Question For You

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/24/85)

Some years ago, like 1/3 century, a friend of mine was a music major
at the University of Pennsylvania.  She was taught that as a musical
person it was her duty to avoid phonograph records and artificially
reproduced music. Of course she should attend live music performances
as her means allowed. Pianos and other real instruments in the home
were ok, but phonographs must be stamped out before they stamped out
musicians.
My question is (music majors please note), do they still teach that
sort of s*it in music schools today?
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/24/85)

In article <949@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>Some years ago, like 1/3 century, a friend of mine was a music major
>at the University of Pennsylvania.  She was taught that as a musical
>person it was her duty to avoid phonograph records and artificially
>reproduced music. Of course she should attend live music performances
>as her means allowed. Pianos and other real instruments in the home
>were ok, but phonographs must be stamped out before they stamped out
>musicians.
>My question is (music majors please note), do they still teach that
>sort of s*it in music schools today?
>--
>
>"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

in a similar vein, those of you interested in this might want to look up the
"Audio, Etc." column of Audio for the last few years.  in this column are
miscellaneous ramblings of Edward Tatnall Canby, Editor of Audio and his
experiences of trying to teach music in various colleges in the 30's and
40's.  a random thing i remember from the articles:

	it seems that almost all music teachers of the time were
	ignorant of electronics and other things as phonographs (and
	they had every reason to be; phonographs were unnatural).  they
	tended to turn the volume all the way up and leave it there
	while do such things as hunting for the right track.  for those
	of you who don't know, turning a stereo "all the way up" is
	about as wrong a way as possible to get high volume and
	intelligible sound.  suffice it to say the distortion was
	horrible and it was truly amazing that people thought this was
	the way "electronic" reproduction of music was fated to be.
	needless to say, this idea has persisted for quite a while and
	may even now be propogated.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (02/25/85)

> From: rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) Message-ID: <949@hound.UUCP>
> She was taught that as a musical
> person it was her duty to avoid phonograph records and artificially
> reproduced music. My question is (music majors please note), do they
> still teach that sort of s*it in music schools today?

No, at least not when I was in a music (theory) major ten years ago.  We
were strongly encouraged to listen to as much music as possible, live or
otherwise.  Live music was preferred, but not to the exclusion of all
else.  This was in Ithaca, NY, so there wasn't much live professional
music, though there was lots of good amateur and student music.  Given the
difficulty of making a living as a professional musician, I'm not
surprised that your friend's professors were encouraging her to support
live music, though it certainly sounds like they went a bit overboard.

--
Melinda Shore
University of Chicago Computation Center

peter@soph.UUCP (Peter Torvik) (02/27/85)

(about a music major friend who was taught to eschew records for live
performance)
> My question is (music majors please note), do they still teach that
> sort of s*it in music schools today?

This idea, although I suspect that you have just a *little* bit
exxagerated it, is not "s*it". Live music performance is important and
irreplaceable and I am glad that your friend had a teacher who cared
about the subject at all.
Here is the reason why I believe that it is very important that serious
music students, particularly, avoid leaning on phonographs. A significant
influence of most of my thought which follows, besides my own teachers at
the New England Conservatory of Music, was Eric Leinsdorf, who wrote a
magnificent and readable book called "The Composer's Advocate" which you
might look at.

If a musician learns music from recordings, he/she is learning by imitation
of some other interpreter. It is conceivable that that musician could come
up with a performance as close to the intention of the composer as the
one being imitated. It won't be any closer. The composer didn't make that
record (and in the few cases where he did, like the recordings by Stravinsky,
that is no guarantee that that composer was such a consummate performer that
he himself did not mean for others who are better (and mere)
performers to do EXACTLY what he called for in his composing; Stravinsky was
a much better composer than he was a conductor and when we listen to
composers doing their own work we know that we are hearing someone who
understands what is in the music better than anyone else, whether or not
he/she can perform it better or not). What the composer did was carefully
and painstakingly create a written score which contains EVERYTHING which
he/she wanted the performer to know. Look at that written score, add the
best that you have to offer in intelligence, knowledge of the composer and
the time, the style and the practices of the time (reading between the lines)
and you will be doing exactly what you should be doing. Learn the piece from
someone else's record and you will, first of all, not understand what is going
on because you have not done the thinking, feeling and learning the composer
expected of you (which will give us a performance without conviction or
feeling) and, second of all, be completely at the mercy of whoever made that
record (and "virtuosi" are permitted to perpetrate incredible amounts of
garbage on the record buying public because we don't buy artists, we buy
brand name recognized performers the same as we buy toothpaste).

I am glad that music students somewhere are hearing these ideas. What
about just listeners?, you might ask. It is FINE for lovers of music
to listen to records as much as they want. But, they should still know
and think about these things, and they ought to go to live concerts, too.
Von Karajan didn't write the symphonies, Beethoven did. Etc., etc., etc.
You owe it to yourself to hear lots of interpretations and not just the
brand name ones that are sanctioned for you by the big record labels.
Record companies are big money, conservative beasts and they should not
be dictating your taste. Think for yourself, please.

Music is an art for thinking, sensitive people, not chimpanzees.

These thoughts were contributed by a conductor and composer.

purtell@reed.UUCP (Elizabeth Purtell) (02/27/85)

In article <949@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>Some years ago, like 1/3 century, a friend of mine was a music major
>at the University of Pennsylvania.  She was taught that as a musical
>person it was her duty to avoid phonograph records and artificially
>reproduced music. Of course she should attend live music performances
>as her means allowed. Pianos and other real instruments in the home
>were ok, but phonographs must be stamped out before they stamped out
>musicians.
>My question is (music majors please note), do they still teach that
>sort of s*it in music schools today?
>--
>
>"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

Although I am not attending a strictly music school, I am taking
advanced theory classes, and although I am not a music major, I do
have an active interest in the subject and have friends who are
music majors. I don't know about anyplace else, but here we are
encouraged to listen to recordings, and the professors will
recommend which ones they believe to be the best. Of course live
performances are also encouraged, and I consider them preferable,
but finances do not always permit. I do find the idea of stamping
out recordings to be intersting as well as horrible, and if there
is a college that does recommend that I would like to know about
it so I can avoid it, since I am considering a music minor in
graduate school

"So little to do and so much time to do it in..."
Elizabeth Purtell
(Lady Godiva)

Reed college...

vange@stolaf.UUCP (E. Vang) (02/28/85)

> From: rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) Message-ID: <949@hound.UUCP>
> She was taught that as a musical
> person it was her duty to avoid phonograph records and artificially
> reproduced music. My question is (music majors please note), do they
> still teach that sort of s*it in music schools today?

No, they don't teach that sort of dr*ck in music schools today.

I am a student at St. Olaf College pursuing a horn performance major with
a Bachelor of Music degree (a math major also, but that's beside the
point).

We are not only required to listen to hours and hours of recordings for
music history classes, but it's also even required for theory courses.
Also, my horn and piano teachers both encourage lots of listening.
Furthermore, music majors are required to meet a recital attendance quota;
in fact, anyone taking music lessons has a recital quota.

Of course, I cannot speak for other music schools, but I daresay the music
department of St. Olaf College (long-reknowned for the St. Olaf Choir, and
more recently for the band and orchestra as well) is probably pretty
typical.

--
Erin Vang @ St. Olaf College
...ihnp4!stolaf!vange			P.O. 1350

hen@bu-cs.UUCP (Bill Henneman) (03/04/85)

Back in the late 40's and early 50's, I was being taught music at
the Peabody institute in Baltimore.  While recorded music wasn't
forbidden (in fact, they made very good use of an extensive
Edisonphone collection of cylinders in some advanced classes), it
was *strongly* discouraged.

The party line was that recorded performances were pastiches of the
best bars of several tries by the performer: listening to such ersatz
performances would lead the student to be overly critical of live
performances.

Upon reflection (and a soft probe at some contemporary composers), I
think there was an element of fear that people would rather spend their
money on recordings of the "golden oldies" of the 19th century than
invest the effort to follow a modern performance.  Their fears were
probably justified.

mouli@cavell.UUCP (Bopsi Chandramouli) (03/06/85)

I am auditing a course in the music department and it is an
introductory(and ambitious too) course covering music of the
midieval period to music of the 20th century. The course is
entirely based on  a collection of 25 records. Most of the
selections are from the book Music - Ways  of listening by Schwartz.
We have a music resources centre where they provide all the records
and the equipment to play them. Even in the class, the
instructor spends 50% of the time playing these records
to demonstrate certain elements of music and characteristics
of particular composers and of  particular periods.
60% of questions in the exams( we have three) test
our listening  abilities and we listen to recordings to answer the
questions.

But the instructor frequently mentions the limitations of the
recordings and the finer aspects of music that they cannot bring out.
She talks about the memorable and sour-stirring experiences
she had when she visited Vienna recently and attended a performance
in a famous Baroque period Church. She says that the architecture of
the Church creates some special musical effects  that cannot be
reproduced even in Concert Halls. May be that some composers
of that period wrote music to take advantage of such effects
produced by the building in which the music was played.

Bopsi Chandramouli.