[net.music.classical] suggestions for conversation

malik@star.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) (02/12/85)

5 suggested topics for conversation;

	1) Reviews of any and all music related books.

	2) Is there 'progress' in the arts?

	3) Has the media supplanted live concerts? (both
	   aesthetically and practically)

	4) Should the classical arts be federally funded?

	5) Is current music theory/scholarship helpful? Or
	   has it become a jargon-filled competition for
	   university positions?

					- Karl

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (02/26/85)

In article <> malik@star.DEC (Karl Malik ZK01-1/F22 1-1440) writes:

>	5) Is current music theory/scholarship helpful? Or
>	   has it become a jargon-filled competition for
>	   university positions?

Dunno about the musicological community at large, but I recently sat
through an *ethnomusicological* gathering at a city I was visiting. It
was a subject I was somewhat familiar with, even.

I have never laid eyes on such a bunch of obscurantistic pedants in
my whole life. My followup comes from Karl's posting, and reading
the general form of n.m.c postings:

I'm assuming that one finds much the same behaviour in the musicological
community as I saw in the ethno& community: It seems as if the reigning
powers have bought into something which is rather a cross between the
Romantic view of Art, Artists, Society (which I don't buy, but we'll do
that only if it comes up), and some sort of Positivist hangup about being
able to define, classify, etc. They also aren't all engaging in *making*
music, so there seems a certain amount of jealousy, overcompensation, etc.
there. In addition, as Karl points out, the field is *extremely* tight, so
the defensive instinct is up there.

Is there any way out of this?

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (02/28/85)

> I'm assuming that one finds much the same behaviour in the musicological
> community as I saw in the ethno& community: It seems as if the reigning
> powers have bought into something which is rather a cross between the
> Romantic view of Art, Artists, Society (which I don't buy, but we'll do
> that only if it comes up), and some sort of Positivist hangup about being
> able to define, classify, etc. They also aren't all engaging in *making*
> music, so there seems a certain amount of jealousy, overcompensation, etc.
> there. In addition, as Karl points out, the field is *extremely* tight, so
> the defensive instinct is up there.
>
> Is there any way out of this?

Since I'm not *in* that situation, I guess I don't care if there's any way
out of it. I don't see how the question would arise for most people, unless
they couldn't shake the idea that these pedantic types were some kind of
authorities. Which would be too bad.

At worst, it's always good for a laugh.

					Jeff Winslow

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (03/07/85)

> >  It seems as if the reigning
> > powers have bought into something which is rather a cross between the
> > Romantic view of Art, Artists, Society (which I don't buy, but we'll do
> > that only if it comes up), and some sort of Positivist hangup about being
> > able to define, classify, etc. They also aren't all engaging in *making*
> > music, so there seems a certain amount of jealousy, overcompensation, etc.
>
>  I don't see how the question would arise for most people, unless
> they couldn't shake the idea that these pedantic types were some kind of
> authorities.

Or unless they had to deal (e.g., do business with) people who couldn't
shake the idea that (etc.).
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell