[net.music.classical] leonardo the performance artist

janzen@pipa.DEC (Thomas E. J. LMO4/B5 279-5421 ECL Test) (03/04/85)

In answer to the last classical music note.

1.  Leonardo did do audio-visual.  Cf. The Art of Performance by Battcock and
Nickas.  Leo used fireworks, large mechanical sets that moved and turned,
large pools of water, whatever.  THERE IS NOTHING NEW.  Aside from the fact
that the Borofsky show at the Whitney has works resonant of Laurie Anderson
that antedate her current work, including music and images, although the
media are different.
Leo also wrote music:
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1      1 1 1 1 1 1 1
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _      _ _ _ _ _ _ _
8 8 8 8 4 4 4 4 4 4      8 8 8 8 4 4 2
c-d-e-f-g-e-f-a-g-gbelow-c-d-e-f-g-e-g

2.  Alban Berg was shot by American MP's while smoking an after-dinner cigar
on his porch.  His brother-in-law, in the black market, had been pursued
there by the MPs.

3. I have conducted, and I am a composer.  There is too much new music being
written for there to be time to listen to several different interpretations
of the same piece.  Never listen to the same piece twice!  It is a waste!

Tom Janzen DEC 150 Locke Marlboro MA 01752

Mon 4-Mar-1985 08:52 EST

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (03/07/85)

> 2.  Alban Berg was shot by American MP's while smoking an after-dinner cigar
> on his porch.  His brother-in-law, in the black market, had been pursued
> there by the MPs.

Shame on you. That was Anton Webern. (Can I go now teacher???) Although I
don't know anything about his brother-in-law.

> 3. I have conducted, and I am a composer.  There is too much new music being
> written for there to be time to listen to several different interpretations
> of the same piece.  Never listen to the same piece twice!  It is a waste!

You miss just as much by not listening to certain pieces more than once as
you do by never hearing certain other ones at all. Unless you are so
unimaginative as to think you hear everything in a piece on first hearing.

			Sorry, preferences are strictly prohibited...
					Jeff Winslow

robdye@ut-sally.UUCP (Rob Dye) (03/08/85)

In article <849@decwrl.UUCP> janzen@pipa.DEC (Thomas E. J. LMO4/B5 279-5421 ECL Test) writes:
>2.  Alban Berg was shot by American MP's while smoking an after-dinner cigar
>on his porch.  His brother-in-law, in the black market, had been pursued
>there by the MPs.
>Tom Janzen DEC 150 Locke Marlboro MA 01752

	Not so.  Berg died in 1936 (I believe), long before American occupation
anywhere.  You are thinking of Anton Webern, although I've never heard the bit
about his brother-in-law.

		Robert Dye
		Dept. of CS, UTexas at Austin

    UUCP: {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!ut-sally!robdye
    ARPA: robdye@ut-sally.ARPA

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/12/85)

> > Alban Berg was shot by American MP's while smoking an after-dinner cigar
> > on his porch.  His brother-in-law, in the black market, had been pursued
> > there by the MPs.
> >
> Shame on you. That was Anton Webern. (Can I go now teacher???) Although I
> don't know anything about his brother-in-law.  [JEFF WINSLOW]

See, Jeff?  All those dodecaphonic pupils of Schoenberg sound alike.   :-)