[net.music] Disco rears its ugly head

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (12/21/84)

I don't know about other parts of the country, except for MTV,
but radio and dance clubs around here are going disco very
quickly.  All one can hear anymore is Madonna, Chaka Kahn,
Billy Squires (he is "Carribbean Queen", right?) and the like.
When the dance clubs start their "oldies" set of Donna Summer
and Gloria Gaynor tunes, the dance floor is flooded.

Are these events only happening here in "Rainbow Country" or
is it time to dust off the "Disco Sucks" button?

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (12/23/84)

> I don't know about other parts of the country, except for MTV,
> but radio and dance clubs around here are going disco very
> quickly.  All one can hear anymore is Madonna, Chaka Kahn,
> Billy Squires (he is "Carribbean Queen", right?) and the like.
> When the dance clubs start their "oldies" set of Donna Summer
> and Gloria Gaynor tunes, the dance floor is flooded.

{ Death Before Disco }

Well, Dance clubs were never known for playing anything other
than dance music.  And for all the nasty things you can say
about disco, it is outrageously easy to dance to.  The rhythm
jumps out and hits you over the head.  As a friend of mine so
well put it, "Yeah, it's a good dance tune.  So would a
recording of me hitting a hollow log with a stick."  Of course,
he's working for IBM now.

By the way, it's Billy Ocean who does "Carribean Queen" (originally
titled "European Queen").  Billy Squier is a somewhat loud pop-
rocker who did "All Night Long", "She's a Runner", and "The Stroke"
among others.
--
                                   Peter Merchant

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (12/29/84)

> From: rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone)

> I don't know about other parts of the country, except for MTV,
> but radio and dance clubs around here are going disco very
> quickly.  All one can hear anymore is Madonna, Chaka Kahn,
> Billy Squires (he is "Carribbean Queen", right?) and the like.
> When the dance clubs start their "oldies" set of Donna Summer
> and Gloria Gaynor tunes, the dance floor is flooded.

"Caribbean Queen" is by Billy Ocean.

> Are these events only happening here in "Rainbow Country" or
> is it time to dust off the "Disco Sucks" button?

Dunno where "Rainbow Country" is but dance music (the technical term for disco
now) is definitely big in the NYC area.  (I told you so, remember, that dance/
disco would come back, two years ago when this list was first formed, and no
one believed me ...)
--
			Baby tie your hair back in a long white bow ...
			Meet me in the field, behind the dynamo ...

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo

lund@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/01/85)

I visited the Palace, one of L.A.'s finer discos the other night and found
they where playing about 20%-30% disco music. Some might debate exactly
what disco music is. Here I use it to refer to something that can probably
not be taken as anything but disco. I was suprised to hear a lot of
rapping (as sung by Grandmaster Flash and Run DMC). They also played
a fair amount of new wave: Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Bronski beat.
They even played one of my favorites by the B52's, Clair from planet Blair.
(Maybe not the exact name.)
	I was with a friend from New York who found the Palace to quite
a contrast to NY discos. She thought the NY discos where much more mainstream
and that you had to behave much more conservatively. The people at
the Palace where dressed ranging from punk to new wave to elegant to casual
and it didn't matter much who with or how you danced. There where guys
dancing by them selves which I haven't seen often. It was was an
enjoyable evening.

			....Laurence
			UCLA-CS Dept.

			{ihnp4,cepu,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!lund

chris@politik.UUCP (Christopher Seiwald) (01/01/85)

> gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:

> Dunno where "Rainbow Country" is but dance music (the technical term for disco
> now) is definitely big in the NYC area.

Surely there must be some difference between dance music and disco!

Let's see...Blondie, Romones, X, English Beat (any two-tone/ska/reggae bands),
and lots of the "new wave" bands qualify as danceable-but-not-disco.

Watch out for those dance remixes though!
--
Christopher Seiwald
dual!ptsfa!politik!chris