[net.music.classical] countertenor

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (04/24/85)

Let us not forget John Ferrante, with his four-octave (!!) range.

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (04/24/85)

--
> Let us not forget John Ferrante, with his four-octave (!!) range.

Nor Andrea Von Ramm, a natural alto who trained herself to sing
way into the baritone range.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

mf@cornell.UUCP (mf) (04/24/85)

>> Let us not forget John Ferrante, with his four-octave (!!) range.

>> Nor Andrea Von Ramm, a natural alto who trained herself to sing
>> way into the baritone range.

Nor Julius Eastman (in Maxwell-Davies' ``8 Songs for a Mad King''). 4 octaves,
you said?

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/03/85)

> Nor Andrea Von Ramm, a natural alto who trained herself to sing
> way into the baritone range.
> --
> ken perlow       *****   *****

Aha! A mention of one of my favorite musical people! I had the good fortune
hear Ms. von Ramm live, when the Studio der Fruehen Musik played here
in St. Louis at Washington University, back in the 60's when I was a
student there. I believe that the Studio had some sort of affiliation with
the University at that time. Anyway, those performances, coupled with
the discovery of other early music in the library there, inspired in me a
love for medieval and renaissance music that I have since indulged by
accumulating many records of such music.

I have tried to collect all the records by the Studio der Fruehen Musik (we need
an ASCII umlaut!), but I haven't seen a discography anywhere. Does anyone
on the net have access to such a listing? If so, could it be posted or
could you mail me a copy? (Or I'll pay for copying & USnail, as usual...)

More queries -- what has Andrea von Ramm done besides participate in the Studio
der Fruehen Musik? And can anyone post or email me information about this
group, including their current status (I don't even know if they still
exist) or their history (changes in membership over the years, critical
reviews and info on their development in performance styles or anything
else, etc.)?

And on early music in general: all I know about the subject is what I've
gleaned from hundreds of record jackets. Anybody want to recommend books
or references on the subject? (I know *nothing* about music, per se, so
I'd get more out of books that didn't expect a technical musical background...)

It's interesting... I've built my classical collection by emphasizing
early music and am just starting to think about expanding into the Baroque
(to add to the usual assortment of standards and warhorses I and everyone
else already have...). Maybe, if I live to 80 or so, I'll make it up to
Romantic...

Regards, and thanks for giving me an opening to get into all this...
Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (05/06/85)

In article <10393@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:

>And on early music in general: all I know about the subject is what I've
>gleaned from hundreds of record jackets. Anybody want to recommend books
>or references on the subject? (I know *nothing* about music, per se, so
>I'd get more out of books that didn't expect a technical musical background...)

I rather like R. Hoppin's MEDIEVAL MUSIC, Norton, 1978, ISBN 0 393 09090 6

It DOES tend to get technical, though.  I picked it up in like-new condition
at a used book store for $5.00, and have since learned that it is a rather
standard college text on the subject.  It ties together with the Norton
ANTHOLOGY OF MEDIEVAL MUSIC.

I'm finding it useful for the anthology of medieval Polish Christmas carols
I'm editing... (In my copious spare time)

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

steve@brl-tgr.ARPA (Stephen Wolff <steve>) (05/14/85)

In article <10413@brl-tgr.ARPA> version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site brl-tgr.ARPA version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site brl-tgr.ARPA brl-tgr!wmartin wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>........................................Anybody want to recommend books
>or references on the subject?

Hoppin is fine for the mediaeval stuff.  Moving right along, however, to the
Renaissance:  The classic text is "Music in the Renaissance" by the late
Gustav Reese (Revised Ed'n, W. W. Norton & Co. 1959, ISBN 0 393 09530 4);
it's over a thousand pages and for a hobbyist like me a lifetime's worth of
bedtime reading.  Look also in your library for "The New Oxford History of
Music" of which the first three volumes go through the 17th century (stay
away from the accompanying record set "The History of Music in Sound" as
their interpretive & instrumental style is sadly out of date.  Smaller and
more recent is "Music in the Renaissance" by Howard Mayer Brown (Prentice-
Hall 1976, ISBN 0 13 608497 in paperback).   And for the really dedicated
hacker there is the magazine "Early Music" published by Oxford University
Press; I was a charter subscriber but quit in 1980 when the price went to
$22.00 for four issues per year....
--
Stephen Wolff