[net.music.classical] Kronos Quartet

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (06/02/85)

In article <331@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:
>                                        ...Now out of left field comes
>the Kronos Quartet, with an album called MONK SUITE, on Orrin Keepnews'
>new label, Landmark Records (distributed by Fantasy, 2600 Tenth St
>Berkeley, CA 94710).
>
>Kronos, according to the liner notes, is a "young, adventurous, San Francisco
>based ensemble." They are David Harrington (1st violin), John Sherba
>(2nd violin), Hank Dutt (viola) and Joan Jeanrenaud (cello.) ...
>
>This is great music. There is little or no improvisation, or rather
>they duplicate exactly the solos on the particular version of the tune
>they are interpreting. For interpretation is the key here. ...
>
>This is a very novel way to hear Monk, one I like more with each
>listening. Yet I know nothing of these people. Who are they?
>Do they have any other records? Do they tour? Have they done other
>readings of jazz music? Any information is appreciated.

The Kronos Quartet is well known in the Bay Area, and they have scheduled a
1985/86 series in Herbst Hall, San Francisco.  Six concerts, Sept to April,
with works by Bartok, Schoenberg and Carter, and a dozen premieres, including
several written for Kronos.  Their publicity pictures look like a bunch of
punk rockers, but they are capable of playing the classic quartet literature
with the best, and willing and able to take "risks" with music unfamiliar to
most audiences.  They also always appear to be having a very good time when
they play.

Bob Langridge				(rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP)
Computer Graphics Laboratory
926 Medical Sciences			(rl@ucsfcgl.ARPA)
University of California
San Francisco  CA  94143		(Phone: +1 415 666 2630)