[net.music.classical] KATE BUSH RIPS OFF JOHN CAGE - FLEES IN UFO!

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (07/18/85)

From: nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan)
[Quoting Kate Bush and threatening to do more of the same]

>	I've begun to value silence much more because I think even from
>	the start I realized silence is as important as the notes.  But
>	actually getting your songs to realize that is so much harder,
>	and also knowing where to put the silence.
>
>Also:
>
>	The space inbetween is as important as the words.

This was a quote from Kate Bush?  Sounds as if Ms. Bush has recently
completed reading "Silence" by John Cage.  If she keeps up in this
manner, soon she'll release an album with compositions for 18 randomly-
tuned AM radios and you folks can all go ga-ga over that.  Personally,
I like Turetsky's work for contrabass and typewriter.

I wonder if Mrs. Bach realized that in 300 years her new-born son would
be ranked right up there with Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, and Phil Collins.
How proud she must have been!

:-)(-:

'brd
--
Larry J. Huntley            Burroughs Corporation
                       Advanced Systems Group   MS-703

"Hey, Myrna -- I know a little place down in Spartlinburg;
 It'll be just you and me and the 10,000 dollars, a case of
 Cuervo Gold and my lucky rubber."