[net.music.classical] Regarding Schoenberg

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/16/85)

> From: jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow)

> "[560 lines explaining why Kate Bush is better than Schoenberg]" - nessus

I don't need 560 lines to do that.  Schoenburg had the genius to say
"To Hell with all these stupid rules", then the extreme silliness to
invent a huge bunch of his own.

As Kate Bush once said:

				"I just go for what sounds right."

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (07/19/85)

> > From: jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow)
>
> > "[560 lines explaining why Kate Bush is better than Schoenberg]" - nessus
>
> I don't need 560 lines to do that.  Schoenburg had the genius to say
> "To Hell with all these stupid rules", then the extreme silliness to
> invent a huge bunch of his own.

See my article on Bach and the "rules". The same things apply to Schoenberg.
In both cases the "rules" simply codified what a large number (for the first
case read "all") of composers were essentially already doing. The only real
difference is that no one person was really responsible for laying down the
first set, whereas the second set really was invented by Schoenberg. And
contrary to your belief, it is a very small set - much smaller than the
previous one. And consequently less limiting. Perhaps this is why so many
people have difficulty with it ??

Maybe you would do better with 557 more lines... :-)

> As Kate Bush once said:
>
> 				"I just go for what sounds right."

So who doesn't?