[net.music.classical] Was Robert Schumann & Schubert gay? A Recent psychobiography

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (08/13/85)

The book whose title I sought in an earlier message is:

	Peter Ostwald, SCHUMANN: The Inner Voices of a Musical Genius,
		       New England Universities Press, 1985, $24 or $28.

It's a "psychobiography" of Robert Schumann.  During a discussion of
homoerotic writings of Schumann, Ostwald alludes in a footnote to
homoerotic poetry and other texts by Franz Peter Schubert.  All of
the documents in question are accessible to the public, but this
may be a fairly recent state of affairs.

So far I've failed to find a copy of the book.  When I do, I'll post
the relevant passages.

					Da da da dum!

					Ron Rizzo

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (08/15/85)

In article <1525@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>...During a discussion of
>homoerotic writings of Schumann, Ostwald alludes in a footnote to
>homoerotic poetry and other texts by Franz Peter Schubert.

This reminds me of an old and well-worn joke: a member of the audience
approaches a famous conductor at a cocktail party and asks, "I've always
wanted to know: do you pronounce it SchuMANN or SchuBERT?"

More seriously, is there any substantiation to Ludwig van Beethoven's
name appearing on various lists of famous gays?