[net.music.classical] What is the name of this tune?

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (08/28/85)

The discussion on tone poems reminded me of one of my favorite
pieces of music; alas, I don't know its name. The only clue I have
is that it was used as the opening and closing theme music of
Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series on public TV a few years back.

Do any of you experts out there know where this theme came from?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Kirby			"There is no great genius without
RCA Cylix Communications	 some touch of madness." - Seneca
Memphis, TN     ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave

(The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
those of RCA Cylix. They may not even reflect my own.)

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (09/01/85)

> In article <232@cyclix.UUCP> dave@cyclixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
> The discussion on tone poems reminded me of one of my favorite
> pieces of music; alas, I don't know its name. The only clue I have
> is that it was used as the opening and closing theme music of
> Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series on public TV a few years back.
>
> Do any of you experts out there know where this theme came from?

It was from HEAVEN AND HELL by Vangelis.  My copy of the album shows
the following information:

Vangelis, Heaven and Hell. RCA AFL1-5110 Stereo (1975).
Recorded at Nemo Studios, London, September 1975.

As I recall, when the album was sold in large numbers following the
premiere showings of COSMOS it bore a sticker reading "Contains Theme
Music from the Hit PBS Series COSMOS with Carl Sagan."

Michael C. Berch
mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb