[net.music.classical] buying a piano

trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) (10/06/85)

I'm about to buy a new grand piano, and would like some advice.
(I haven't seen requests like this on this newsgroup, but if the
required expertise lies anywhere it is probably with you.)
Does anyone care to list brands of pianos in order of ascending
quality (or personal preference), and fair price if known?

I am only an intermediate player (easy movements of Beethoven
Sonatas), and I'm worried that what I choose now might bother
me if I get better.  At the moment I could afford anything up
to about $10,000.  If I waited a year or so I could afford a
Steinway-quality piano.  Is the difference only something
an expert notices?  Are there any good books on buying and
caring for pianos?

Perhaps you should mail to me directly;  I'll summarize if there
is sufficient interest.

	Howard Trickey		research!trickey
				trickey.btl@csnet-relay

jerry@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (10/09/85)

> I'm about to buy a new grand piano, and would like some advice.
> (I haven't seen requests like this on this newsgroup, but if the

I have looked for about 10 years before I bought my piano.  It is a
Steinway model O (about 6'), which was built in 1894.  I personally won't
buy a piano any newer than about 60 years old.

I also looked at Chickering, Baldwin, etc., and the biggies from Europe.
I needed something that wouldn't outgrow me as I moved up in the area of
difficulty. Of course, I was spoiled by my teachers Steinway concert grand
from 1872, refinished in rosewood.

My suggestion is to look at older pianos, and perhaps some that may
require rebuilding.  My piano cost me about $2500 for rebuilding, and
I have never regretted it, especially since the replacement cost now would
be about 8 times that amount..

	- jerry     University  of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
		    Computing Services Division
		    {ihnp4, uwvax, uwmacc}!uwmcsd1!jerry
		    uwmcsd1!jerry@wisc-rsch.ARPA

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (10/10/85)

[GENERIC LINE]

In article <4400@alice.UUCP> trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) writes:
>Does anyone care to list brands of pianos in order of ascending
>quality (or personal preference), and fair price if known?
>Perhaps you should mail to me directly;  I'll summarize if there
>is sufficient interest.
I'm going to go ahead and post, for two reasons. First, EMAIL is
sometimes unreliable. Second, I want to stir up some controversy on
this newsgroup with my humble opinions.
I am a pianist myself, and have definite preferences concerning pianos.

First, spinets are inferior to grands. (No controversy there.) The best
spinet I have ever heard is the Kawai, and it sounds better than some
grands. If you're looking for a good sounding piano without the
grand piano price, the Kawai is definitely the way to go at about $1500.

Now for the grands. I'll list them in order of quality, best first.

(#1) Bosendorfer - The Rolls Royce of pianos, unquestionably the best
	piano in the world. Many pianists insist on using the Bosendorfer
	when they give a concert, even though Steinway often offers free
	usage of their pianos to celebrities and Bosendorfer charges
	a mint. In other words, many artists will forego the freebie
	offered by Steinway and insist on paying extra to get the
	Bosendorfer. Unfortunately, if you are looking in the $10K
	range, you won't be able to afford a Bosendorfer. I believe
	they start at around $25,000.
	The Bosendorfer is by far the best sounding piano I have ever
	heard. Most pianos just make a sound when you press the keys.
	The Bosendorfer SINGS. It is a true joy to listen to, and is
	the standard by which all other pianos should be judged.

(#2) Yamaha Concert Grand - This nine-footer sounds much better than
	their cheaper grands. It sounds better than most other
	concert grands, as well. It is the closest to the Bosendorfer
	of all the competitors. The middle range is especially rich
	and melodious, much like that of the Bosendorfer, although not
	quite as crisp.

(#3) Baldwin Concert Grand - Not as rich as the Yamaha, but much better
	than those below it. The Baldwin has a beautiful midrange, but
	its bass range lacks punch and its high range is somewhat dull.
	There has long been a controversy about which was the better
	piano, Baldwain or Steinway. You can see which side I'm on.

(#4) Steinway - I was disappointed by the dullness of the Steinway. The
	midrange sounds like you're playing behind a thick curtain. Almost
	pure sine waves, very little harmonics. The bass range is very
	powerful, with rich harmonics. As you get up toward middle C,
	however, the harmonics disappear and the sound becomes dull. It
	sounds like the hammers are not quite hard enough. The high
	range is also dull, although not quite as dull as the Baldwin's.
	I don't like the Steinway. Steinways appear on many concert
	recordings, and Steinway by their freebie marketing has convinced
	the public that the true piano sound is dull and thuddy like
	their pianos.

(#5) Kawai - Truly inferior to all of the above. Sound is harsh and
	glaring, much like those cheap baby grands. Kawai makes better
	spinets.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
Any person, living or dead, found with the same or similar opinions
will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.)

rwfi@ur-tut.UUCP (Robert Fink) (10/12/85)

In article <4400@alice.UUCP> trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) writes:
>I'm about to buy a new grand piano, and would like some advice.
>(I haven't seen requests like this on this newsgroup, but if the
>required expertise lies anywhere it is probably with you.)
>Does anyone care to list brands of pianos in order of ascending
>quality (or personal preference), and fair price if known?
>
>I am only an intermediate player (easy movements of Beethoven
>Sonatas), and I'm worried that what I choose now might bother
>me if I get better.  At the moment I could afford anything up
>to about $10,000.  If I waited a year or so I could afford a
>Steinway-quality piano.  Is the difference only something
>an expert notices?  Are there any good books on buying and
>caring for pianos?

        Here is my list, based on approximately 20 years experience
shared between my wife and myself:

          OK: Kawai, Baldwin

          Nice: Yamaha

          Wow: Steinway

        I personally own a Steinway (as did Mom- guess its genetic) and
I really do think that it's the best you can buy.  They sound great,
avoiding the overly bright tone of a lot of other pianos, and the touch
(the REALLY crucial thing) is uniquely satisfying.

        Just a thought:  why not investigate an used piano?  Like wines,
good pianos (if taken care of) improve with age.  If my piano were to
be (gasp) destroyed tomorrow, I'd go out and try to replace it with a
50 or so year old Steinway, not a new one.  If this appeals to you,
investigate any old Chickerings that you find-- they tend to have a lovely
mellow sound.  Of course, all this advice is based on my idea of what a
piano should sound like, and may not transfer to anyone else.

P.S.  Used pianos are like used cars-- better look under the hood before
      you buy.

                                                 Good luck,

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (10/13/85)

>(#2) Yamaha Concert Grand - This nine-footer sounds much better than
>	their cheaper grands. It sounds better than most other
>	concert grands, as well. It is the closest to the Bosendorfer
>	of all the competitors. The middle range is especially rich
>	and melodious, much like that of the Bosendorfer, although not
>	quite as crisp.

I wonder if you are referring to the same Yamaha model a prototype of
which was flown from Tokyo to Chicago in April 1983 for the American
premiere of K. S. Sorabji's *Opus Clavicembalisticum* performed by
Geoffrey Madge, an Australian pianist now residing in The Hague.  I
had a chance to run my fingers over the keys and it is an extremely
responsive instrument.  For reasons explained below there are very
few pianos that could have stood up as well to the demands placed on
the Yamaha by this recital.

Sorabji's *Opus Clavicembalisticum* is the longest and most difficult
piano composition that has ever been published (Sorabji has written
at least one other that is longer).  I was fortunate enough to be the
pageturner for the American premiere, a feat in itself since the
performance time of the work is four hours not counting
intermissions.  Not only is the work long, it is incredibly difficult
and taxing for the pianist.  It is scored on as many as seven staves,
seldom less than four, and the pianist constantly has to be all over
the keyboard at once.  Madge, who specializes in music that hardly
anyone else can play (Xenakis, for example), never faltered; he not
only had complete technical command of the work, he made good music
out of it as well.  It was by a large margin the most astounding
piano performance I have ever seen or heard.  Madge spent 18 months
doing nothing but studying the O.C. and has now performed it (I
think) three times.  The only other complete performance was the
premiere given by Sorabji himself around 1930.

Sorabji's music is like nothing else you have ever heard.  The O.C.
has been described as sounding like three pianists playing Busoni,
Szymanowski, and Messiaen all at once.  It is very contrapuntal and
intense, highly structured with sets of variations, a passacaglia
with 80-odd variations, fugues, toccatas, etc., and it was quite
exciting in the climactic passages.  It was evidently conceived as
something like a 20th-century answer to the Art of the Fugue (the
title means "Keyboard Work").  I found it very satisfying, although
it was impossible to sustain one's concentration through a piano
composition of such length and intensity.  It may be a work that is
better appreciated in memory than during the performance.  Sorabji,
now in his 90's and living in England, is the composer of the longest
and most complex music in existence, including an orchestral work
lasting eight hours, as well as miniatures that out-Webern Webern.
He is a cult composer at this point, but reportedly he couldn't care
less and writes only for his friends.

Parts of the O.C. have been recorded by another pianist.  A recording
of Madge's performance in The Hague was issued as a limited edition,
and a tape of his Chicago performance is in the possession of WFMT in
Chicago.  If anyone would like to try to order the limited edition
recording, let me know and I will track down the details.  Also if
anyone would like to learn more about Sorabji I can send you copies
of an article or two that I have.
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

jerry@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Jerry Lieberthal) (10/14/85)

> [GENERIC LINE]
>
> In article <4400@alice.UUCP> trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) writes:
> >Does anyone care to list brands of pianos in order of ascending
> >quality (or personal preference), and fair price if known?
>
> Now for the grands. I'll list them in order of quality, best first.
>
> (#1) Bosendorfer - The Rolls Royce of pianos, unquestionably the best
> 	The Bosendorfer is by far the best sounding piano I have ever
> 	heard. Most pianos just make a sound when you press the keys.
> 	The Bosendorfer SINGS. It is a true joy to listen to, and is
> 	the standard by which all other pianos should be judged.

> Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

I agree on the Bosendorfer .. you are *maybe* allowed to spend $25k
or more, and get on their 15 year waiting list.  One of the local
colleges here has a concert grand, and it is that (grand!).  If I had
the money I would get one.

I also remain faithful to >60 year old Steinways, though ...

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/15/85)

> > I'm about to buy a new grand piano, and would like some advice.
> > (I haven't seen requests like this on this newsgroup, but if the
>
> I have looked for about 10 years before I bought my piano.  It is a
> Steinway model O (about 6'), which was built in 1894.  I personally won't
> buy a piano any newer than about 60 years old.
>
> I also looked at Chickering, Baldwin, etc., and the biggies from Europe.
> I needed something that wouldn't outgrow me as I moved up in the area of
> difficulty. Of course, I was spoiled by my teachers Steinway concert grand
> from 1872, refinished in rosewood.

Oh, come now. Seems like nobody loves modern American Steinways, but I think
you're overdoing it a bit. I seem to remember that the last major change
in the scale in Steinways occured about 1900, so any Steinway previous
to that is suspect of being less than the best in my mind. A friend of mine
has one from 1895. He loves it, but it has some problems around C below
middle C. One expert piano rebuilder I know considers the sound from the
1920's Steinways the best, and I tend to agree, especially if you really want
to spend 10 grand on it. Well, maybe 12 grand (7 to get it and 5 to rebuild
it). New ones cost that much, and you'll have to play it every day for 5
years and get and expert technician to work it over regularly to get an
equivalent piano (maybe). OK, so I'm overdoing it a bit, too. But you get the
idea.

My piano? A ~6 foot Yamaha. It's not a Bechstein, or a Steinway, but it's
almost as good, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper. $3750 used, 5 years
ago (it was 4 years old then). You might check out Kawai also. Remember, no
matter what they say, it has to sound good to *you*.

Please note that I know much more about music than pianos, and some of the
above is "off the top of my head".
						Jeff Winslow

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/15/85)

> In article <4400@alice.UUCP> trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) writes:
> >Does anyone care to list brands of pianos in order of ascending
> >quality (or personal preference), and fair price if known?
> >Perhaps you should mail to me directly;  I'll summarize if there
> >is sufficient interest.
> I'm going to go ahead and post, for two reasons. First, EMAIL is
> sometimes unreliable. Second, I want to stir up some controversy on
> this newsgroup with my humble opinions.
> I am a pianist myself, and have definite preferences concerning pianos.
>
> Now for the grands. I'll list them in order of quality, best first.
>
> (#1) Bosendorfer - The Rolls Royce of pianos, unquestionably the best
> 	piano in the world.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. On rather limited experience, I'd
say that Bosendorfers are unquestionably the best LOOKING pianos in the
world. Oh, they're pretty. However, I'm not convinced they SOUND enough
better than a rebuilt 20's Steinway to be worth the price difference.

It's worth noting that some professional pianists apparently don't care
for the Steinway action. That may be another reason why they go for the
Bosendorfer.

Once again, "off the top of my head".

Are Bechsteins no longer made?

					Jeff Winslow

ong@eneevax.UUCP (Chong Ong) (10/16/85)

If you are looking around for an upright piano, be sure to check
out Knight.

Juey Chong Ong
ARPA: ong@eneevax.umd.edu
UUCP: {seismo, allegra, rlgvax}!umcp-cs!eneevax!ong
BITNET: ong%eneevax.arpa@WISCVM

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (10/19/85)

In article <4400@alice.UUCP>, trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) writes:
> I'm about to buy a new grand piano, and would like some advice.
> (I haven't seen requests like this on this newsgroup, but if the
> required expertise lies anywhere it is probably with you.)
> Does anyone care to list brands of pianos in order of ascending
> quality (or personal preference), and fair price if known?

I bought a piano in New Jersey in 1979 - I found a 1919 Steinway
for only $3500.  The price was low because the finish was not
in good condition, but inside it is a fine musical instrument with a
really nice sound.  I found it in a piano store in Freehold.
I suggest looking at classified ads in smaller, more rural areas
in the East Coast and in the midwest, if possible, to find a good deal
on a nice old Steinway.  You can have a technician look it over
before deciding whether to purchase it.  It is cheaper to fly to
Detroit (for example) and have the piano moved back to NJ than to
pay $10,000 in Manhattan.  Pianos also cost more than twice as much
in California than they do in the East and Midwest, because there are
fewer old pianos around.  So ask your friends in different places to
check around.

Personally, I find of the old pianos much more mellow and enjoyable
than the sound of the new ones.

Also, you may already know this, but I think that old Everett
uprights were made by the Steinway company, so they are worth
considering.  The old Chickering pianos would be work looking at too.

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (10/19/85)

> (#1) Bosendorfer - The Rolls Royce of pianos, unquestionably the best
> 	piano in the world. Many pianists insist on using the Bosendorfer
> 	when they give a concert, even though Steinway often offers free
> 	usage of their pianos to celebrities and Bosendorfer charges
> 	a mint. In other words, many artists will forego the freebie
> 	offered by Steinway and insist on paying extra to get the
> 	Bosendorfer. Unfortunately, if you are looking in the $10K
> 	range, you won't be able to afford a Bosendorfer. I believe
> 	they start at around $25,000.
> 	The Bosendorfer is by far the best sounding piano I have ever
> 	heard. Most pianos just make a sound when you press the keys.
> 	The Bosendorfer SINGS. It is a true joy to listen to, and is
> 	the standard by which all other pianos should be judged.

A good Bosendorfer concert grand can cost as much as $75,000.
However, Bosendorfer purchased the Kimball company several years
ago and was going to improve the Kimball piano as a home instrument.
I don't know how well this turned out - has anybody tried a new
Kimball piano lately?