[net.music.classical] Noise pollution

chrz@ihuxe.UUCP (p. chrzanowski) (10/09/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR NOISE ***

I didn't much care for pop music when I was a teen, and I still don't.
I am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.

This flame is about *NOISE* :

* At work *  Around here people play portable radios, car radios with
           12v. power supplies, home stereos, etc. in offices and labs.
           Most turn it down when asked -- but (1) I really don't want it
           down, I want it OFF, and (2) I'm fed up with constantly
           having to ask.
* At play *  Around here, all the city owned swimming pools are
           equipped with metal horn loudspeakers -- the better to
           blare top 40 MOR music with.  The park district people
           respond "but most people using the pools like it".
           Maybe so, but it is my pool too - I pay taxes to
           maintain and operate it.
* At home *  My city gov't thinks it's a great idea to allow
           the merchants assoc. to hire rock bands to play in
           city parking lots -- LOUD, you can hear it over a
           mile away.  I don't LIKE being forced out of my home
           by city hall.

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (10/09/85)

> I didn't much care for pop music when I was a teen, and I still don't.
> I am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.

Are you suggesting that you want your musical preferences forced on others?

> * At play *  Around here, all the city owned swimming pools are
>            equipped with metal horn loudspeakers -- the better to
>            blare top 40 MOR music with.  The park district people
>            respond "but most people using the pools like it".
>            Maybe so, but it is my pool too - I pay taxes to
>            maintain and operate it.

Big whoop!  So do the other people that use the pool.  Remember this is a
democracy, majority rules.  If you don't like it move somewhere else.

> * At home *  My city gov't thinks it's a great idea to allow
>            the merchants assoc. to hire rock bands to play in
>            city parking lots -- LOUD, you can hear it over a
>            mile away.  I don't LIKE being forced out of my home
>            by city hall.

It is a great idea.  It gives kids something to do and it keeps them amused.
And again here, its a democracy.  If you don't like it vote for other
city leaders.

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

dep@allegra.UUCP (Dewayne Perry) (10/10/85)

<the majority of these lines are dreadful>

I think that you might want to go a bit easy on the "majority rules"
stuff.  The complaint is similar to objecting to inhaling the results of
other peoples health-destroying habits.  The minorities have rights
to be protected from incursions by the majority.

Whatever you want to do to yourself in private is fine by me, but
when it affects someone else, the matter becomes radically more
complicated.

By the way, the original flame implied nothing about inflicting his
own preferences on other people, merely being very tired of being
constantly afflicted by something he did not care for.

Noise polution is as bad as air polution.

What is wrong with a little peace and quiet - Dewayne Perry

dce@hammer.UUCP (David Elliott) (10/10/85)

In article <771@rduxb.UUCP> jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) writes:
>> I didn't much care for pop music when I was a teen, and I still don't.
>> I am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.
>
>Are you suggesting that you want your musical preferences forced on others?

If he didn't say that, you can assume that he isn't suugesting it. There
is nothing wrong with saying "I don't like people forcing their tastes
on me".

>> * At play *  Around here, all the city owned swimming pools are
>>            equipped with metal horn loudspeakers -- the better to
>>            blare top 40 MOR music with.  The park district people
>>            respond "but most people using the pools like it".
>>            Maybe so, but it is my pool too - I pay taxes to
>>            maintain and operate it.
>
>Big whoop!  So do the other people that use the pool.  Remember this is a
>democracy, majority rules.  If you don't like it move somewhere else.

There are cities in this country that would disagree with you. When I
was in college, the city had a noise ordinance. You could get arrested
for being too loud.

People have the right to happiness, and happiness includes quiet. Isn't
disturbing the peace still illegal in many places?

>> * At home *  My city gov't thinks it's a great idea to allow
>>            the merchants assoc. to hire rock bands to play in
>>            city parking lots -- LOUD, you can hear it over a
>>            mile away.  I don't LIKE being forced out of my home
>>            by city hall.
>
>It is a great idea.  It gives kids something to do and it keeps them amused.
>And again here, its a democracy.  If you don't like it vote for other
>city leaders.

There's no democracy involved here at all. Cities don't hold elections to
say "let's let rock bands play in parking lots". I agree that the idea is
not a bad one. It does keep kids off the streets and out of the way of
other people, but you can do the same thing by having free or cheap indoor
concerts.

You keep saying "if you don't like the way things are, vote to change them".
I don't know about your city, but it takes 4 years to get rid of a marginally
bad president and various other offices. At best, you can elect new city
officials once every two years. An official has to be pretty criminal to be
thrown out before his term of office is up.

How can it be a democracy if the problems we have now can't get solved for
two years.

Now, if YOU want to allow me to come over to your house and play the
Residents' "Not Available" through a 200-watt P.A. system, then send me
some money. I show you something about forcing musical preferences on
someone.

>						Joseph M. Dakes
>						AT&T Bell Laboratories
>						Reading, PA
>						rduxb!jmd

			David Elliott

ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) (10/12/85)

In article <771@rduxb.UUCP> jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) writes:
>> I didn't much care for pop music when I was a teen, and I still don't.
>> I am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.
>
>Are you suggesting that you want your musical preferences forced on others?

	    I don't think he is, unless you want to call silence music.
	(No, I don't want to get into a discussion about John Cage.)

>> * At play *  Around here, all the city owned swimming pools are
>>            equipped with metal horn loudspeakers -- the better to
>>            blare top 40 MOR music with.  The park district people
>>            respond "but most people using the pools like it".
>>            Maybe so, but it is my pool too - I pay taxes to
>>            maintain and operate it.
>
>Big whoop!  So do the other people that use the pool.  Remember this is a
>democracy, majority rules.  If you don't like it move somewhere else.
>
>> * At home *  My city gov't thinks it's a great idea to allow
>>            the merchants assoc. to hire rock bands to play in
>>            city parking lots -- LOUD, you can hear it over a
>>            mile away.  I don't LIKE being forced out of my home
>>            by city hall.
>
>It is a great idea.  It gives kids something to do and it keeps them amused.
>And again here, its a democracy.  If you don't like it vote for other
>city leaders.

	    Does your idea of democracy state that if 51% of us decide
	to infringe on the rights of the other 49% that is all fine and
	dandy?  "Majority rule" should not be absolute by any means.

						--pH
/*
 *	"What you mean `we', paleface?"
 */

dpb@cbosgd.UUCP (Dan Bidinger) (10/13/85)

   if this country was run by 'majority rules' then there would be no such
   thing as the U. S. Senate.

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (10/14/85)

> There are cities in this country that would disagree with you. When I
> was in college, the city had a noise ordinance. You could get arrested
> for being too loud.
>
> People have the right to happiness, and happiness includes quiet. Isn't
> disturbing the peace still illegal in many places?

Well obviously the city from which the original poster lives doesn't have
a noise ordinance or turned their back on it for one night to allow the
band to play.  He did say the city council sponsered it:
> >> * At home *  My city gov't thinks it's a great idea to allow
> >>            the merchants assoc. to hire rock bands to play in
> >>            city parking lots -- LOUD, you can hear it over a
> >>            mile away.  I don't LIKE being forced out of my home
> >>            by city hall.

> You keep saying "if you don't like the way things are, vote to change them".
> I don't know about your city, but it takes 4 years to get rid of a marginally
> bad president and various other offices. At best, you can elect new city
> officials once every two years. An official has to be pretty criminal to be
> thrown out before his term of office is up.
> How can it be a democracy if the problems we have now can't get solved for
> two years.

Well, who voted for them in the first place?  The majority, perhaps?

> Now, if YOU want to allow me to come over to your house and play the
> Residents' "Not Available" through a 200-watt P.A. system, then send me
> some money. I show you something about forcing musical preferences on
> someone.

Thanx, but no thanx.  Me and my roommate's 300W PA are quite adequate.  Ask
our neighbors...ask their neighbors...ask their...:-)

> 			David Elliott

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/14/85)

I cared a great deal for pop music when I was a teen, and I still do.
But I too am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.

> I didn't much care for pop music when I was a teen, and I still don't.
> I am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.
>
> This flame is about *NOISE* :
>
> * At work *  Around here people play portable radios, car radios with
>            12v. power supplies, home stereos, etc. in offices and labs.
>            Most turn it down when asked -- but (1) I really don't want it
>            down, I want it OFF, and (2) I'm fed up with constantly
>            having to ask.
> * At play *  Around here, all the city owned swimming pools are
>            equipped with metal horn loudspeakers -- the better to
>            blare top 40 MOR music with.  The park district people
>            respond "but most people using the pools like it".
>            Maybe so, but it is my pool too - I pay taxes to
>            maintain and operate it.

Don't forget:
  * Boom Boxes * Designed to offend those whose musical tastes vary
	     from the boom boxer.

  * Muzak while being put on hold * This is this ultimate piss-off.
 	     When I am holding, I hate listening to two-hundred bored
	     musical never-beens butchering a Lennon/McCartney tune.

There's more, too

-todd jones

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (10/16/85)

In article <494@scirtp.UUCP> todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:
>  * Muzak while being put on hold * This is this ultimate piss-off.
> 	     When I am holding, I hate listening to two-hundred bored
>	     musical never-beens butchering a Lennon/McCartney tune.

The next time you are put on infinite hold and hear controlled
garbage hang up and dial again. Keep on hanging up and dialing back
until they catch on and don't put you on hold any more.  I don't know
if you actually get a quicker response, but at least it gives you
something to do and you don't have to listen to your favorite music
destroyed.  The only time I couldn't use this was with Liberty Mutual
insurance several years back.  Their line was always busy and the one
time I finally got through, they put me on hold for 45 minutes.  I was
afraid to hang up and get another busy signal.

Bill Tomczak@harvard.{ARPA, UUCP}

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/16/85)

> > bad president and various other offices. At best, you can elect new city
> > officials once every two years. An official has to be pretty criminal to be
> > thrown out before his term of office is up.
> > How can it be a democracy if the problems we have now can't get solved for
> > two years.
>
> Well, who voted for them in the first place?  The majority, perhaps?

Ah, yes!

But how is one to know the position that a politician will take on
*all* issues until the issue arises?

What if the opponent was vastly worse?

What if the overwhelming  majority of citizens present at (eg)
town/county meeting favor one possibility but the council votes the
exact opposite because *they* *"KNOW"* that the *real* majority who
didn't attend the meeting *would* *want* them to?

More specific to the noise polution problem, what fraction of the
public do you think really know how serious a problem it is?
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/16/85)

> I cared a great deal for pop music when I was a teen, and I still do.
> But I too am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.
>

> > I didn't much care for pop music when I was a teen, and I still don't.
> > I am FED UP with having others musical preferences forced on me.
> >
> > This flame is about *NOISE* :
> >
> > * At work *  Around here people play portable radios, car radios with
> >            12v. power supplies, home stereos, etc. in offices and labs.
> >            Most turn it down when asked -- but (1) I really don't want it
> >            down, I want it OFF, and (2) I'm fed up with constantly
> >            having to ask.
> > * At play *  Around here, all the city owned swimming pools are
> >            equipped with metal horn loudspeakers -- the better to
> >            blare top 40 MOR music with.  The park district people
> >            respond "but most people using the pools like it".
> >            Maybe so, but it is my pool too - I pay taxes to
> >            maintain and operate it.
>
> Don't forget:
>   * Boom Boxes * Designed to offend those whose musical tastes vary
> 	     from the boom boxer.
>
>   * Muzak while being put on hold * This is this ultimate piss-off.
>  	     When I am holding, I hate listening to two-hundred bored
> 	     musical never-beens butchering a Lennon/McCartney tune.
>
> There's more, too

There sure is!

Don't forget the twits that play "music" for you when they put you on
*hold* (and over an audio system never intended for music).

And  cars & trucks with loud exhaust systems...

And those damnable dirt bikes, especially those with the two stroke
engines...

	RIIIINNNNGGGGIIIIDIIIINNNNNGGGGDDIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGDIIIIINNNNGGG

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/16/85)

In article <1552@hammer.UUCP> dce@hammer.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:

>Now, if YOU want to allow me to come over to your house and play the
>Residents' "Not Available" through a 200-watt P.A. system, then send me
>some money. I show you something about forcing musical preferences on
>someone.

That would be nice. Could you also bring a copy of The Residents MOLE SHOW
LIVE?

Thanks.

				  Barth Richards
				  Tellabs, Inc.
				  Lisle, IL

				  "Our time has come, age of the hammerheads
				   This is our mission, to be the DALEKS
				   of God"
                                  -Shriekback, "Hammerheads"
				   from the album OIL AND GOLD

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (10/19/85)

>   * Muzak while being put on hold * This is this ultimate piss-off.
>  	     When I am holding, I hate listening to two-hundred bored
> 	     musical never-beens butchering a Lennon/McCartney tune.

Any AT&T management people out there who can do something about this?

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (10/20/85)

[]
I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe:
1) Music on hold was invented elsewhere, not by Bell.
2) Choice of music is up to the owner of the PBX equipment.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg