[net.music.classical] question on string bass

rjr@mgweed.UUCP (Bob Roehrig) (10/16/85)

At a recent concert performed by the Chicago Symphony, I noticed that about
half of the Bass instruments had an "attachment" on them. It was at the
top of the bass, on one side. It looked like perhaps its purpose was to
extend one of the strings (I assume to lower the frequency). It also looked
like there might have been some "keys" on it. Does anyone know anything
about this???

Bob

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (10/17/85)

In article <21021@mgweed.UUCP>, rjr@mgweed.UUCP (Bob Roehrig) writes:

> At a recent concert performed by the Chicago Symphony, I noticed that about
> half of the Bass instruments had an "attachment" on them. It was at the
> top of the bass, on one side. It looked like perhaps its purpose was to
> extend one of the strings (I assume to lower the frequency). It also looked
> like there might have been some "keys" on it. Does anyone know anything
> about this???
>
> Bob
The keys allow one to temporarily drop the pitch of the lowest string
by a fixed amount. This allows access to notes below the normal playing
range of the instrument without having to permanently retune the lowest
string and foul up the fingering for that part of the piece (usually
most of it) which only uses the normal range.o

Guy Smith (a former third bassman)

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (10/18/85)

In article <21021@mgweed.UUCP>, rjr@mgweed.UUCP (Bob Roehrig) writes:

> At a recent concert performed by the Chicago Symphony, I noticed that about
> half of the Bass instruments had an "attachment" on them. It was at the
> top of the bass, on one side. It looked like perhaps its purpose was to
> extend one of the strings (I assume to lower the frequency). It also looked
> like there might have been some "keys" on it. Does anyone know anything
> about this???
>
> Bob

Normally, the lowest string on the Contrabass (string bass) is tuned
to E.  It is sometimes very necessary to have a low C on the instrument
and usually a fifth string attachment is added.  The physical limitations
of tuning properly to low C require keys to finger the string.

--

    [rchrd] = Richard Friedman
              Pacific-Sierra Research, 2855 Telegraph #415

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (10/18/85)

> At a recent concert performed by the Chicago Symphony, I noticed that about
> half of the Bass instruments had an "attachment" on them. It was at the
> top of the bass, on one side. It looked like perhaps its purpose was to
> extend one of the strings (I assume to lower the frequency). It also looked
> like there might have been some "keys" on it. Does anyone know anything
> about this???

I believe the strings of a bass viol are normally tuned to E, A, D, G.
If so, the attachment would lengthen the E string to allow the
instrument to go as low as C.  This would enable it to double the
low C of a cello at the octave.  The key-like mechanisms are there
to make it easier for people without abnormally long arms to play
those low notes: there would be one for C#, D, D#, and E with a
lock on the E key so you can pretend the whole extension gadget
isn't there.

All this is inferential and based on observation, not certain knowledge,
but I'm more confident about this than I am about most of my educated
guesses.

rwfi@ur-tut.UUCP (Robert Fink) (10/23/85)

In article <226@well.UUCP> rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) writes:

>Normally, the lowest string on the Contrabass (string bass) is tuned
>to E.  It is sometimes very necessary to have a low C on the instrument
>and usually a fifth string attachment is added.  The physical limitations
>of tuning properly to low C require keys to finger the string.

Well.... not quite, and as a doublebassist (a rare and oppressed breed) I
feel compelled to "set the record straight". Bassists are often called to
produce notes below E, the open sound of the lowest string, and there are
various ways to do this.  The simplest is to retune the E string down, but
that messes up the fingerings, and the E string, if tuned lower than about
D, begins to flap, rattle, and generally sound like hell.  Another option
is the one described above, where a fifth string, tuned to C, is added to
the bass.  This solution has its problems, also, since it requires complete
reworking of the bridge, fingerboard, and nut, and actually crowds the strings
too close together for normal playing.  Note that this 5th string looks like
all the others- no special machinery is needed to use it.
      The standard solution to this problem is the ingenious piece of machin-
ery described in the original question.  Called a "C extension", it is used
to create a new type of FOURTH string, which can be either a C or E, depending
upon the bassists needs. This string is extended past the end of the finger-
board in a metal track.  When the C extension is in the locked position, it
behaves exactly like a normal E string.  Unlocking the extension allows the
rest of the string to vibrate, causing it to sound as a C string.  The keys
are needed, because the extended part of the string is just sticking out
"in mid air"-- there is no fingerboard underneath it to press down on!

        Probably more than you wanted to know, but.........

                                                Robert Fink
                                                Eastman School of Music

P.S. A C-extension costs upwards of $800 (not including installation)!

.