[net.music.classical] 20th Century Chamber Music

hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Bill Hsu) (10/24/85)

	While I applaud Tom Janzen's support of 20th century chamber
music, I'm not sure that you'd want to start sampling chamber music
with an exclusive diet of 20th century stuff. I believe you have
to know the rules (or at least be aware of them) to appreciate how
they are broken, so I would suggest a more varied approach, maybe
jumping back and forth between Schoenberg 3rd and 4th and Haydn or
Mozart's quartets to compare the roots with their present-day
manifestations. Personally though, I do find 20th century music more
interesting and varied. I love Schoenberg's 2nd string quartet (with
soprano) and Berg's Lyric Suite, as well as stuff like Crumb's
Ancient Voices of Children for Voices and Chamber Ensemble.

	Speaking of Crumb, what's this about there being only two
good Crumb pieces? Tom, you mean you didn't like Ancient Voices
or any of the Makrokosmos suites? By the way, I'm interested in reading
about your own chamber music (or any other music). How about some
"reviews"? Does anyone else in this newsgroup write music also? Let's
see some descriptions of activities in this area...

	BTW, I'm thinking of getting Messian's Quartet for the End of Time.
Can anyone suggest a good (not terribly expensive) recording?

						Bill Hsu
						pur-ee!hsut

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (10/26/85)

> Does anyone else in this newsgroup write music also? Let's
> see some descriptions of activities in this area...

It's nice to see another composer on the net.  I have composed some
music for computers and synthesizers as well as for instruments.
Right now I'm studying music at UC Berkeley.  My work is very much
influenced by the music of Japan and India.  What kinds of works do you
compose, Bill and others?

> 	BTW, I'm thinking of getting Messian's Quartet for the End of Time.
> Can anyone suggest a good (not terribly expensive) recording?

The one on Angel was supervised by the composer.  And the one by Tashi
is also excellent.

> 						Bill Hsu
> 						pur-ee!hsut
Linda Seltzer
ucbvax!amdcad!linda

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (10/28/85)

In article <3436@pur-ee.UUCP>, hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Bill Hsu) writes:

> 	BTW, I'm thinking of getting Messian's Quartet for the End of Time.
> Can anyone suggest a good (not terribly expensive) recording?
>
> 						Bill Hsu

Musical Heritage Society has an excellent recording produced under
the direction of Messiaen hisself!  And it is very inexpensive if
you are a member of MHS.  Also available on their cassette.
I think Peter Serkin (TASHI) also recorded it.
--

    [rchrd] = Richard Friedman
              Pacific-Sierra Research, 2855 Telegraph #415