[net.music.classical] Stravinsky's Firebird

bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (10/19/85)

i am looking for the recording of Stravinsky's Firebird
Ballet(Suite ?).  the old worn out tape recording lasts
33:40 minutes.  this is longer than any other recording
than i have found.  my intuition suggests that this is
the ballet because Stokowski & The Berlin Philharmonic
played the Suite and it lasted only 21:20 minutes.
any advice would be gratefully accepted as long as it is
graciously given.

dragonpup
uucp: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,noscvax}!sdcsvax!sdcc3!{bi50xrs}
arpa: sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs@{Berkeley,Nosc}
decnet: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs%DECWRL
bitnet: sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs%{UCBUNIXG,WISCVM}
cs-net: gatech!akgua!sdcsvax!sdcc3!bi50xrs@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

jak@adelie.UUCP (Jeff Kresch) (10/21/85)

> i am looking for the recording of Stravinsky's Firebird
> Ballet(Suite ?).  the old worn out tape recording lasts
> 33:40 minutes.  this is longer than any other recording
> than i have found.  my intuition suggests that this is
> the ballet because Stokowski & The Berlin Philharmonic
> played the Suite and it lasted only 21:20 minutes.
> any advice would be gratefully accepted as long as it is
> graciously given.
>
> [etc.]

Like all of Stravinsky's suites, the Firebird originally started its
life as a ballet.  The full ballet is longer than 33:40 minutes, it can
take up two full sides of an album.

What makes matters confusing is that there are many versions of the
Firebird:  the full ballet and *at least* one suite written in the early
1900's (1909?), as well as revised versions of both written in the
1940's.  There are those who claim that Stravinsky revised many of his
early works in order to obtain copyright protection.  He has denied
this.  Nevertheless, when it comes to the Firebird, or Petrushka for
that matter, I think the best versions are the original full-length
ballets.  Unfortunately, Stravinsky only conducted the later versions
himself.

I am not familiar with any specific recordings of the full-length
original, but I am sure they are out there.  Look for Pierre Monteaux or
Ernest Ansermet conducting.

                                                They call me
                                                JAK

rgh@inmet.UUCP (10/23/85)

Recordings of the Firebird Suite, the complete ballet, include:

Sir Colin Davis, Concertgebouw O [Phillips]
Haitink, London SO [Phillips]
Dorati, Detroit SO [London]
Dorati, London SO [Mercury]
Ozawa, O de Paris [Angel]
Ansermet, New Philharmonia [Contour]
Ozawa, Boston SO [Angel]
Dorati, Royal PO [Musicmasters]
Dohnanyi, Vienna PO [London]

[This info is from "The Complete Penguin Stereo Record and Cassette
Guide", Penguin, 1984, and is listed in order of their recommendation.]

    Randy Hudson {ihnp4,ima}!inmet!rgh

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (10/23/85)

>I am not familiar with any specific recordings of the full-length
>original, but I am sure they are out there.  Look for Pierre Monteaux or
>Ernest Ansermet conducting. - JAK

    Stravinky himself conducts the full Firebird score, recorded in the
    60's on Columbia. I believe it has been released in several forms,
    including in a boxed set with Petrouchka and the Rite of Spring.
    The sound quality is still fine.

    Stravinsky's interpretations strike me as not particularly spectacular.
    The climaxes, rather than bombastic, sound almost classical, especially
    in the Firebird. I particularly enjoy the clarity of Stravinsky's
    treatment of all the weird extra details that are excised from the
    shorter Firebird suite. The composer conducted this piece hundreds of
    times during his career (more than any other piece) and grew somewhat
    weary of hearing it as an hyper-romantic potboiler (Stokowski's old
    version of the suite on London is my favorite kick-ass interpretation)

    One of my favorite compositions by Stravinsky is L'Histoire du Soldat
    (without narration). Can anyone recommend a recent version?

-michael

bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (10/29/85)

In article <23400051@inmet.UUCP> rgh@inmet.UUCP writes:
>Recordings of the Firebird Suite, the complete ballet, include:
>Sir Colin Davis, Concertgebouw O [Phillips]
>Haitink, London SO [Phillips]
>Dorati, Detroit SO [London]
>Dorati, London SO [Mercury]
>Ozawa, O de Paris [Angel]
>Ansermet, New Philharmonia [Contour]
>Ozawa, Boston SO [Angel]
>Dorati, Royal PO [Musicmasters]
>Dohnanyi, Vienna PO [London]
>[This info is from "The Complete Penguin Stereo Record and Cassette
>Guide", Penguin, 1984, and is listed in order of their recommendation.]

could you provide the recording times ?
phil

jak@adelie.UUCP (Jeff Kresch) (11/06/85)

> >I am not familiar with any specific recordings of the full-length
> >original, but I am sure they are out there.  Look for Pierre Monteaux or
> >Ernest Ansermet conducting. - JAK
>
>     Stravinky himself conducts the full Firebird score, recorded in the
>     60's on Columbia. I believe it has been released in several forms,
>     including in a boxed set with Petrouchka and the Rite of Spring.
>     The sound quality is still fine.
>
>     etc.

The problem with the Stravinsky recordings, aside from his
interpretation, is that they are not of the original versions, but
rather, of the revisions he did in the forties or thereabouts.  Although
he claimed that the revisions were not merely done for copyright
purposes, as some have claimed, the original versions of the early
ballets really required no improvement.  I don't think the revisions are
as good.

                                        They occasionally call me
                                        JAK