[net.music.classical] Extraneous noises

I don't remember ever hearing the conductor making noises, but my father has
a classic case of stray noise.  It occurs between an aria and its preceding
ricitative, on Bernstein's old _Messiah_ (the one in which he took it upon
himself to rearrange everything).

The soloist finishes, the viol and the harpsichord get their last two cents
in, and-- as if Lennie had cued it himself--

   the turn of a page cuts cleanly through the silence.

Occaisionally organ recodings pick up as much sound from the organ mechanics
as they do from the pipes.

Charley Wingate

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (12/12/85)

There are some early (1950's) recordings made in Carnegie Hall
where you can hear traffic noises and the occasional 7th Ave IRT
subway train rumbling just underground.

I don't really mind.  The more real, the better.
As long as you can still hear the music!
--

    ...Richard Friedman [rchrd]
       Pacific-Sierra Research

       USENET:  {lll-crg,ptsfa,hplabs}!well!rchrd

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (12/13/85)

If your speakers and turntable/cartridge have good bass response, you
can hear the London subway running during quiet sections of the first
act of the 1952 Flagstad/Furtwaengler "Tristan und Isolde", made in
Kingsway Hall.

As far as grunts, groans and humming along, Toscanini, Bernstein and
Kleiber do their share, but nobody matches Glenn Gould.

	- Greg Paley/Olivetti ATC

rmrin@inuxa.UUCP (D Rickert) (12/15/85)

> There are some early (1950's) recordings made in Carnegie Hall
> where you can hear traffic noises and the occasional 7th Ave IRT
> subway train rumbling just underground.
TSK TSK
A true golden ears can always tell the
difference between the IRT and the BMT.
Regards.

--

You are Beautiful,			Dick Rickert
my manufactured love;-			AT&T CPL

frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) (12/17/85)

> I don't remember ever hearing the conductor making noises...

One conductor in particular was infamous for making noises during
recording sessions (that the audience was unaware of)... and honestly
his name escapes me at the moment.  Anyone know?

> Occaisionally organ recodings pick up as much sound from the organ mechanics
> as they do from the pipes.
>
> Charley Wingate

Occasionally?  Good lord Charlie...  EVERY CD recording I have of pipe organs
(especially the older European organs) include such noises;  stops being opened
and closed, keyboard mechanisms.... you name it.  Perhaps vinyl masks out the
sounds OR perhaps in the days of excessive post-processing, these noises were
deliberatly removed or avoided.  Some of the "newer" organs like the West Point
chapel organ are somewhat quieter.

Noise on recordings of harpsichord and pianoforte are unavoidible.

I like the background noise.  When you have open-air headphones it's phun to
try and phigure out what is on the recording and what is actually noise
in the room.

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (12/19/85)

In article <1109@trwrdc.UUCP> frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:
>> I don't remember ever hearing the conductor making noises...
>
>One conductor in particular was infamous for making noises during
>recording sessions (that the audience was unaware of)... and honestly
[text removed]
>Noise on recordings of harpsichord and pianoforte are unavoidible.
>
>I like the background noise.  When you have open-air headphones it's phun to
>try and phigure out what is on the recording and what is actually noise
>in the room.

Perhaps it's been my imagination, but I swear that EVERY recording I have
of Rudolf Serkin has the bugger wheezing his lungs away.  Could it be
that my ears have not been deceiving me all this time?

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (12/20/85)

In article <1109@trwrdc.UUCP> frith@trwrdc.UUCP (Lord Frith) writes:
>> I don't remember ever hearing the conductor making noises...
>
>One conductor in particular was infamous for making noises during
>recording sessions (that the audience was unaware of)... and honestly
>his name escapes me at the moment.  Anyone know?

Couldn't have been Sir Thomas Beecham, then.  He made so much noise he
could sometimes be heard in the third balcony.

--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

cuccia@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (01/09/86)

In article <459@olivee.UUCP> greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) writes:

>As far as grunts, groans and humming along, Toscanini, Bernstein and
>Kleiber do their share, but nobody matches Glenn Gould.

>	- Greg Paley/Olivetti ATC

...except for Keith Jarrett...

--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)
--cuccia@ucb-arpa.arpa		(Arpanet)
The University wouldn't dare say some of the things that I say...