[net.music.classical] movie adaptations of Mozart operas

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick) (01/26/86)

Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?
--
				--rick heli
				... {ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!ccrrick

julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez) (01/27/86)

> Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
> on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?

Bergman did "The Magic Flute" around '75 or earlier.  Didn't someone
else do Don Juan (i'm not thinking of Fellini's Casanova).
--
"If Chaos himself sat umpire, what better could he do?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez  (ARPA: julian@riacs)
	415-694-6141        415-694-6363  (UUCP: decvax!decwrl!julian@riacs)
	RIACS - Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (01/27/86)

Yes, MAGIC FLUTE has been done as a film.  In fact, it is one of the
best known films of operas since it was done by no less a director
than Ingmar Bergman.  It was made for TV in Sweden in 1974, then
released as a feature film in this country.  I saw it in 1977 and
walked out on it.  (It was through no fault of the film, I had gotten a
job offer to come to AT&T just an hour or so before going to see it
and had too much on my mind to concentrate on the film.  Wouldn't you
know it, I never got another chance to see it, and my wife, who I
dragged out of the film, has never completely forgiven me.)

Other Mozart operas have been filmed, I am pretty sure, but they
always drop from sight shortly after release.  MAGIC FLUTE was an
exception.  I know of a major film production of Puccini's LA BOHEME
made in the 60's that isn't listed in film sources like Maltin and
Scheuer.  I think these are considered to be just a special category of
films for a narrow audience.  They are not covered by film books and
video-stores rarely carry them.  That may change a little as video
sound reproduction improves.  I haven't looked that hard for Mozart on
cassette, but I would have noticed Puccini on cassette.  Puccini wrote
some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard and I would notice
if it was available in video form.  You might want to keep an eye on
your local PBS station and, if you get it, the Arts and Entertainment
network.  Both run opera fairly commonly and PBS usually gets a local
station to simul-cast.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

greg@olivee.UUCP (Greg Paley) (01/28/86)

> Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
> on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?
> --
> 				--rick heli
> 				... {ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!ccrrick

The Ingmar Bergman film of the "Magic Flute", made in the mid 70's
and sung/spoken in Swedish, featured a cast of "unknowns" and served
as a springboard of sorts for the baritone Hakan Hakegard who now
sings at the Met, San Francisco, Covent Garden, and other major houses.

Two other films that come to mind are the 1979 Joseph Losey production
of "Don Giovanni" (starring Ruggero Raimondi, Kiri Te Kanawa, Edda Moser)
and a mid-to-late 70's production, produced by Jean-Pierre Ponelle, of
"The Marriage of Figaro" (starring Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Hermann
Prey, Mirella Freni and Kiri te Kanawa).

	- Greg Paley/Olivetti ATC

jsf@rlgvax.UUCP (Steven Fritzinger) (01/28/86)

> Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
> on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?
> --
> 				--rick heli
> 				... {ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!ccrrick

Bergman has done _The_Magic_Flute_.  I saw it several years ago, and
thought it was as good as any of the live performances of it I have seen.

--

Steve Fritzinger
CCI-OSG Reston,Va.

"Look, I don't know what you two are doing here, but I think you ought to
know I've killed alot of old people in my time, and I'm not above doing
it again"

pwyc@ihnp1.UUCP (Peter Chen) (01/28/86)

> Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
> on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?

ingmar bergman, "magic flute".  a classic.

-peterc				...ihnp4!ihnp1!pwyc
"macho non troppo"

francois@yale.ARPA (Charles B. Francois) (01/29/86)

In article <166@riacs.ARPA> julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez) writes:
>Bergman did "The Magic Flute" around '75 or earlier.  Didn't someone
>else do Don Juan (i'm not thinking of Fellini's Casanova).

You are perhaps thinking of Joseph Loosey's "Don Giovanni".

--Charles B. Francois   {...,decvax,allegra}!yale!francois

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (01/29/86)

>> Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
>> on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?

>Bergman did "The Magic Flute" around '75 or earlier.  Didn't someone
>else do Don Juan (i'm not thinking of Fellini's Casanova).

    Joseph Losey directed Don Giovanni, which was released
    in 1979, I think.  I saw the film and only remember that
    it was filmed in Vicenza, Italy and was very boring.
    It was a little bit like a very long episode of the
    Monkees: arias made "interesting" by having people sing
    different lines in different (quick-cut) shots in
    "interesting" locations like standing in the middle
    of a boat in the middle of a lake.  I am not a big
    Mozart opera fan (I am a Verdi-Puccini kind-of-guy);
    someone who really enjoys Don Giovanni might have liked
    the film.  As I recall the reviews of the flick at the
    time confirmed my feelings.  Also, this was the only
    production of Don Giovanni I have ever seen, so maybe
    certain lines are SUPPOSED to be sung in the middle
    of a lake.

    I am trying to remember what other films Joseph Losey
    is famous for and can't remember.  I know he is famous
    for SOMETHING.  Please help, this is driving me crazy.

    Tom Gross
    Apollo Computer, Inc.

mgh@mtuni.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (02/08/86)

In article <89@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick) writes:
>Does anyone know whether anyone has ever done The Magic Flute
>on film?  How about any of the other Mozart operas?
>--
>				--rick heli
>				... {ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!ccrrick

Joseph Losey's Don Giovanni.