[net.music.classical] "loaning" CDs

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (03/05/86)

 >> [...] someone asked to borrow a CD and [...]
 >Being a gfairly recent CD owner I noticed that some of my Discs
 >say you cannot *lend* then without permission of the publisher!
 >Is this for real?  I haven't read the lables on my records
 >lately so don't know if this is unique to CD's.  Could someone
 >please enlighten a novice?  Should I (we?) construct a form letter
 >and send it off to all the publishers asking for permission to
 >lend out discs to out friends?

    Forget it.  You're too late.  Here in Massachusetts we
    are already making plans to build new jails to house all
    the "CD loaners" being nabbed everyday.  Along with all
    the illegal activity in video tape copying and bootleg
    copies of Lotus 1-2-3, it's estimated that by 1993
    HALF OF ALL CRIMES committed in Massachusetts will be
    "between friends".

    But seriously though, lending CD's is, of course, a
    FEDERAL offense.  The problem is that if we all let
    our friends use our personal belongings, sales would
    drop across the board and the economy, which is based on
    expanding consumerism, would crumble.

    Did you really think that just because you BUY
    something gives you the right to transfer ownership
    to anyone for FREE?  Come on!

    Tom Gross
    Apollo Computer, Inc.
    Chelmsford, MA

evans@wanginst.UUCP (Barry Evans) (03/05/86)

>  >> [...] someone asked to borrow a CD and [...]
>  >Being a gfairly recent CD owner I noticed that some of my Discs
>  >say you cannot *lend* then without permission of the publisher!
>  >Is this for real?...
>
>     Did you really think that just because you BUY
>     something gives you the right to transfer ownership
>     to anyone for FREE?  Come on!

You could always say you sold it to your friend and bought it back from him
later...  at least you couldn't be accused of "lending".  oh, don't forget
to save your sales receipts :-)

-barry
--
Barry Evans - Wang Institute (617) 649-9731 x383
    [apollo, ucadmus, decvax, vaxine, masscomp]!wanginst!evans

andrew@hammer.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (03/07/86)

[What's this doing in net.rumor?  Oh well...]

>  >> [...] someone asked to borrow a CD and [...]
>  >Being a gfairly recent CD owner I noticed that some of my Discs
>  >say you cannot *lend* then without permission of the publisher!
>  >Is this for real?...
>
>     Did you really think that just because you BUY
>     something gives you the right to transfer ownership
>     to anyone for FREE?  Come on!

In the U.S., the doctrine of first sale gives you the absolute right to
lend, give away, rent, or sell a publication (CD, record, book, etc.),
as long as it is not copied and is not used for a public performance
(e.g., played on a for-profit radio station).

In some European countries, you cannot in fact legally rent a CD.
Hence the label, which is necessary to retain the publisher's rights in
those countries.  We EstadoUnidados can ignore it.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

worth@btnix.UUCP (Nick Worth) (03/11/86)

>    Did you really think that just because you BUY
>    something gives you the right to transfer ownership
>    to anyone for FREE?  Come on!

Are you really implying that in the USA it is illegal to
lend your neighbour a lawnmower say! or was this a :-) ?

kalpin@utecfc.UUCP (Jordan E Kalpin) (03/11/86)

In article <2c50391a.2a75@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:

>    FEDERAL offense.  The problem is that if we all let
>    our friends use our personal belongings, sales would
>    drop across the board and the economy, which is based on
>    expanding consumerism, would crumble.
>
>    Did you really think that just because you BUY
>    something gives you the right to transfer ownership
>    to anyone for FREE?  Come on!
>
>    Tom Gross
>    Apollo Computer, Inc.
>    Chelmsford, MA

Since when is it illegal to lend someone something that YOU OWN?  What you
people ought to do is move up here to CANADA where the Charter of Rights
says you can do anything your little heart desires to something you have
purchased.  It might not be legal for the friend you loaned the CD to
tape it or use it for commercial purposes....

In Canada, when you loan your next door neighbour your car it does not void
the warranty!!!!  Hurray!!

I think I can even loan my friends all my Engineering Textbooks...not that
they would really want them...I don't even want them!

THIS IS SILLY...NO MORE OF THIS SILLY STUFF....

I remain,

Jordan Kalpin
University of Toronto
Mechanical Engineering
kalpin@utecfc.UUCP

		......Just a joke.....

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/13/86)

In article <44@btnix.UUCP> worth@btnix.UUCP writes:
>>    Did you really think that just because you BUY
>>    something gives you the right to transfer ownership
>>    to anyone for FREE?  Come on!
>
>Are you really implying that in the USA it is illegal to
>lend your neighbour a lawnmower say! or was this a :-) ?

Absolutely not.  CD's (Certificates of Deposit?  :-) ) are protected by
copyright.  On the other hand, if you're loaning your neighbors that
perfect replica of a 1985 Toro that you've been lovingly mass-producing
in your garage...

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

ARPA n. [acronym for Advanced Research Projects Agency.]  An agency of the
	U.S. Department of Defense established in 1968 to test its defenses
	against misuse and piracy in the large-scale distributed processing
	environment.
			-Stan Kelly-Bootle, "The Devil's DP Dictionary"