[net.misc] Alan Alda

jeb@eisx.UUCP (Jim Beckman) (09/27/83)

Alan Alda, who made himself a few million dollars by re-playing
the Korean War with a laughtrack, has found another way to make
some bucks with even less effort.  Alan has sold his soul to
Atari, and will be hawking (!) their wares in television spots.
According to this morning's paper, he has already insisted in
a few changes to remove any sexism from the ads.  How noble.
At least he will be able to pander with a pure heart.  I guess
he couldn't line up a contract with Mrs. Smith's All-American
Deep-dish Quiche Pies.

CSvax:Pucc-H:aeq@pur-ee.UUCP (09/28/83)

I admit I am a bit disappointed in Alda's using his Cronkitean level of
popularity and trust to make bucks for himself via Atari.  However, I am a bit
surprised at the reference to quiche.  Remember, this is liberated 1983,
where real men know how to make quiche!  (By that argument, I am about as
unreal as one can get, specializing only in "bachelor spaghetti"....)

-- Jeff Sargent/pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (09/28/83)

I guess I have never considered Alan Alda any kind of a "holy man"
or a national institution.  And he is certainly not in the same class
as Walter Kronkite (who was in most people's living rooms for the last
15 + years *every* night)!!

I do not see his endorsement of Atari products in any different light
than any other product endorsement by a celebrity.  If he can make
a little money, then by all means, he should grab with both hands!!

Allen England at BTL, Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihuxb!alle

sm@ariel.UUCP (S.MESSINA) (09/28/83)

Aren't we tired of Alan Alda?
Couldn't you see him cackling against the current
PC craze on some new TV family show.
Now we'll hear him cackling for us to buy one.
I believe Alda is looking for one too many free lunches.
He is truly, "Alan Alda, A Man and His Chinesse Food".

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (09/29/83)

Cronkite was only in our homes nightly for 15 or so years.
Alda has been in our homes weekly for the past eleven and
is switching to three times nightly for the remainder of
the century.
What have we done to deserve this.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Holmdel
					(201) 834-3759
					ariel!jlw

sm@ariel.UUCP (S.MESSINA) (09/30/83)

William Shatner does not cackle like Alan Alda.

					Steve Messina

eric@aplvax.UUCP (10/03/83)

	Obviously some of you have very strange TVs that force
you to watch old M*A*S*H re-runs. But if you think that is rough,
just wait until it starts forcing you to watch old "Three's Company"
re-runs.

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!eric

kek@mgweed.UUCP (Kit Kimes) (10/04/83)

Subject: Re: Doesn't anyone else like Alan Alda?

Count me as an Alan Alda fan.  I also own and am very happy with an Atari
home computer.

'Nuff said...

					Kit Kimes
					Western Electric Co.
					Montgomery Works
					Aurora, Il. 60507
					..!ihnp4!we13!mgweed!kek

markp@tekmdp.UUCP (Mark Paulin) (10/04/83)

I wouldn't mind the fact that the man is a quiche-eating wimp, if some women I
know weren't constantly holding him up as a paragon of masculine virtue.

Mark Paulin
...tektronix!tekmdp!markp

avi@pegasus.UUCP (10/06/83)

I don't see why anyone is picking on Alan Alda for doing commercials. Why
does he have to live up to some "higher" standards. Did anyone complain
about William Shatner selling Vic-20 computers (or about featuring it as an
antique in a Star Trek movie). The original article even made "fun" of Alda
for removing sexism from the Ads!!! Is this bad?

In any case, why was the original article also posted to net.singles? I
think the author was just unhappy about Alda doing ANYTHING but MASH (or
maybe is upset about him not doing AfterMash).

--
-=> Avi E. Gross @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-3063
    suggested paths:	[ihnp4, allegra!houxn, cbosg, hogpc, ...]!pegasus!avi

markp@tekmdp.UUCP (Mark Paulin) (10/07/83)

>> I wouldn't mind the fact that the man is a quiche-eating wimp, if some women
>> I know weren't constantly holding him up as a paragon of masculine virtue.
> -----------
> Why is it that so many of these tough, masculine he-men are so disturbed by
> such a "quiche-eating wimp" as Alan Alda?  What are they afraid of?  That
> their women (*their* women?) might be more attracted to men who don't behave
> like pseudo-macho clods?  Nonsense!  (Sounds like a case of the famed
> testosterone poisoning to me :-)
>
> [This doesn't excuse Alan Alda from having some very obnoxious egotistical
> qualities, which indeed he does.  I don't see people complaining about these,
> though.  Only about his being a "quiche-eater".  Hmmm, I guess those
> qualities are OK.....]
-----------

That first line is mine, but I don't really consider myself a "he-man".  And I
also do not think I am a "pseudo-mach clod".  What I am afraid of is not Alan
Alda.  What I *am* afraid of is the attitudes of people who classify men into
"Alan Aldas" vs "pseudo-macho clods".  Where has the middle ground gone?
I agree that there is such a thing as testosterone poisoning, but an equally
offensive affliction is testosterone deprivation.

Next time a woman asks me, "Why can't you be more like Alan Alda?" I'm gonna
bust her in the mouth, I'm such a clod.  ;-)

Mark Paulin
...tektronix!tekmdp!markp

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (10/10/83)

>  What I *am* afraid of is the attitudes of people who classify men into
>  "Alan Aldas" vs "pseudo-macho clods".  Where has the middle ground gone?
----
What is this middle ground?  Does it consist of treating women like human
beings and being considerate to them just as you would (or possibly wouldn't,
in the case of some people) men *most of the time*, but slapping her around
once in a while to show her that you're still a man (possibly because she
wanted to watch something on TV while a football game is on)?

mcewan@uiucdcs.UUCP (mcewan ) (10/16/83)

#R:tekmdp:-227200:uiucdcs:10600124:000:756
uiucdcs!mcewan    Oct 15 19:32:00 1983

>  What I *am* afraid of is the attitudes of people who classify men into
>  "Alan Aldas" vs "pseudo-macho clods".  Where has the middle ground gone?
----
What is this middle ground?  Does it consist of treating women like human
beings and being considerate to them just as you would (or possibly wouldn't,
in the case of some people) men *most of the time*, but slapping her around
once in a while to show her that you're still a man (possibly because she
wanted to watch something on TV while a football game is on)?

The middle ground consists of men who treat women like human beings, but
are not intolerant assholes who think that anyone who does not agree with
them 100% is a barbarian.

				Scott McEwan
				pur-ee!uiucdcs!mcewan