[net.net-people] HELP! How to use >8-character addresses on BITNET?

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (11/07/85)

I have a problem.  I'm trying to send to a friend of mine at RPI;
her account name is "mkim@rpi-cicge.BITNET".  Now, for some
reason, the bitnet handler around here trims off all but the
first 8 characters of the address!  In other words, after the
first bitnet hop, the address has become

	"mkim@rpi"

which is majorly incorrect...

Is there any way around this major problem?

And if not, is there anyone who knows of a path to that machine?
(that is, "rpi-cicge")

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
		{PLEASE, don't reply to samson@h-sc1@harvard!!!}
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

scco@ur-tut.UUCP (Sean Colbath) (11/09/85)

In article <654@wjh12.UUCP> gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) writes:
>I have a problem.  I'm trying to send to a friend of mine at RPI;
>her account name is "mkim@rpi-cicge.BITNET".  Now, for some
>reason, the bitnet handler around here trims off all but the
>first 8 characters of the address!  In other words, after the
>first bitnet hop, the address has become
>	"mkim@rpi"
>which is majorly incorrect...
>
>Is there any way around this major problem?
>
>And if not, is there anyone who knows of a path to that machine?
>(that is, "rpi-cicge")
>
>G. T. Samson

Umm, I hate to tell you this, but if the address is > than 8 characters,
I would seriously doubt its being on BITNET.  As far as I know, *all*
BITNET nodenames are 8 characters or less, that being the IBM standard for
things (i.e. userids are 8 or less, filenames are 8 or less).  Also, the
last time I looked, there were no nodes on BITNET that had hyphens in their
nodenames.  In addition, I checked with our RSCS machine (user that runs
networking software, sort of like a daemon) at UORVM, our BITNET site,
and it did not know about 'rpi-cicge'.  I would suspect that what
you have is an ARPAnet address, akin to 'cmu-cs-a' or 'mit-oz'..  (at least
I think those are ARPAnet addresses, things can get so confusing!).

-Sean Colbath

"Dave, why don't you take a stress pill and lie down for a while?"
UUCP:    {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!scco
BITNET:  SCCO@UORVM