[net.net-people] Pseudo People on the net????

lkk@teddy.UUCP (01/09/86)

This came off of human-nets digest:

------------------
Date: 27 Dec 85 18:31:40 PST (Friday)
From: Hoffman.es@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: "Mind rape" by computer mail

In the October 1985 issue of 'Ms.' magazine, there's a lengthy article
entitled "The Strange Case of the Electronic Lover" by Lindsy Van
Gelder.  It's tells how a prominent New York psychiatrist in his early
fifties maintained an on-line identity over CompuServe for more than
two years as a disabled, late-twenties, female neuropsychologist,
developing intimate friendships with scores of electronic
correspondents.

"She" had a detailed contrived life history, announced her marriage
during the course of the fraud, sent gifts to people, and was heavily
into (bisexual) compusex.

As you might imagine, many of "her" victims felt enormously betrayed,
likening the experience to "mind rape".  The article has quite a bit
to say about the nature of electronic correspondence in general.

--Rodney Hoffman

---------------------

--
Sport Death,       (USENET) ...{decvax | ihnp4!mit-eddie}!genrad!panda!lkk
Larry Kolodney     (INTERNET) lkk@mit-mc.arpa

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (01/13/86)

In article <1909@teddy.UUCP> lkk@teddy.UUCP writes:
>                    ... a prominent New York psychiatrist in his early
>fifties maintained an on-line identity over CompuServe for more than
>two years ...
>developing intimate friendships with scores of electronic
>correspondents.
>
>"She" had a detailed contrived life history, announced her marriage
>during the course of the fraud, sent gifts to people, and was heavily
>into (bisexual) compusex.
>
>                  ... many of "her" victims felt enormously betrayed,
>likening the experience to "mind rape".

Same thing happened in this end of the world about 3  years  ago.  A  local
high  school  teacher (male) adopted the persona of "Kathy", an 18 year old
student, on several "Dial-Your-Match" bulletin  boards.  I  personally  was
taken in by this one, along with a lot of other people.

While I wouldn't describe my reaction to learning the truth in such extreme
terms  as "betrayal" and "mind rape", I didn't feel particularly good about
the situation.  Embarassment probably comes closest to my initial feelings,
but I'm pretty cautious about relationships and hadn't written any sexually
oriented messages beyond trying to arrange a simple meeting.  I can see how
someone who had been more explicit might feel more strongly about it.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405           do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe