[net.net-people] *.dec.com

covert@covert.dec.com (07/17/86)

>Our mailer doesn't understand domains properly, so is there
>anyone out there who could instruct me on how to reach
>
>	thain@magic.DEC.COM
> -------------
>This, of course, being one of the problems with mapping the uucp system
>converting to a non-flat domain space.  I think that many sites still
>look at any domain name with non-'UUCP' first-level domains as an ARPAnet
>address, so that things wouldn't break upon changeover to domain naming.
>This problem will be more common soon.
>
>Can anyone confirm that sites do/don't just blindly send '.COM,' '.MIL,'
>'.ORG,' '.GOV,' and '.NET' sites to the ARPAnet, without seeing if they
>are UUCP sites?  (Presumably because there is no UUCP nameserver.)

I'm not sure what the above reply has to do with the question.  Our ARPA
gateway always converts addresses for systems not in the ARPA host table
to user%system.DEC.COM@DECWRL.DEC.COM.  The UUCP gateway converts addresses
to decwrl!system.dec.com!user.  The address as shown above will never
appear anywhere as a result of our gateways.  There are some sites outside
DEC that "know" how to convert the domain info, and users at those places
might use addresses in the above form, but they are not the "supported"
form.

So, to reach the above from the ARPAnet, send to thain%magic.dec.com.

From UUCP use {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!magic.dec.com!thain

/john

reid@decwrl.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <4207@decwrl.DEC.COM> covert@covert.dec.com (John R. Covert) writes:
>I'm not sure what the above reply has to do with the question.  Our ARPA
>gateway always converts addresses for systems not in the ARPA host table
>to user%system.DEC.COM@DECWRL.DEC.COM.  The UUCP gateway converts addresses
>to decwrl!system.dec.com!user.  The address as shown above will never
>appear anywhere as a result of our gateways.  There are some sites outside
>DEC that "know" how to convert the domain info, and users at those places
>might use addresses in the above form, but they are not the "supported"
>form.
>
>So, to reach the above from the ARPAnet, send to thain%magic.dec.com.
>
>From UUCP use {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!magic.dec.com!thain

This is not entirely true, because magic.DEC.COM is not a VMS machine. Those
of us who work for DEC but who use Unix instead of VMS are constantly facing
this belief held by most of DEC that Vax==VMS.

Anyhow, magic.DEC.COM is a Vax Unix machine in Palo Alto, at the DEC
Systems Research center. It is known by the DEC domain resolver, if you are
on the ARPAnet and know what that sentence means.

From ARPAnet, send to thain@decwrl.DEC.COM
From uucp, send to {ihnp4,allegra,decvax,...}!decwrl!thain

(the longer address thain%magic.dec@decwrl.dec.com will also work)