[net.origins] creationism topics

miller@uiucdcsb.UUCP (09/25/84)

     Time for another weekly article by your friendly neighborhood creationist!
First, to answer Steve Wall's question, I believe the person you want is Sir
Fred Hoyle, who in his book "Evolution from Space" calculates the probability
of life evolving on earth at 1 out of 10^40,000.  He's written about this in
other places too, e.g., the 11/12/81 edition of "Nature" states that "The
chance that higher life forms have emerged in this way is comparable with the
chance that a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747
from the materials therein".  Amazingly, he still believes in evolution; though
he feels it came to earth from another planet (which got the 747 I guess).
     Bill Price writes:
>It seems that this difference of viewpoint goes a long way toward seeing why
>the Creationist will respond with anger, rather than understanding, when he is
>confronted with reality.
Gee, and just last week I pointed out that on the net it was *evolutionists*
who were calling creationists: officers of the inquisition, a social holocaust,
one of the greatest threats that civilization faces, metaphysical totalitarian-
ism, Big Brother, Nazis, etc.  It seems to me that it is the evolutionists
responding with anger at reality, not the other way around.
     Patrick Wyant has a very long reply to Paul DuBois concerning thermodyna-
mics and Dr. Prigogine.  However, I don't think Patrick took Prigogine's warn-
ings to heart, i.e., where he wrote "But let us have no illusions.  If today we
look into the situation where the analogy with the life sciences is the most
striking - even if we discovered within biological systems some operation
distant from the state of equilibrium - our research would still leave us quite
unable to grasp the extreme complexity of the simplest of organisms."  Any
model works if you make enough assumptions.  Prigogine errs when he assumes
several highly improbable things, for example:
1 A steady net production of enormous quantities of nucleotides and amino acids
  on the hypothetical primative earth by the simple interaction of raw energy
  and simple gases.
2 A steady net production of enormous quantities of energy-rich organic mole-
  cules to supply the required energy.
3 The combination, in enormous quantities, of the nucleotides to form polymers.
4 The selective formation of homopolymers (such as poly-A and poly-T) rather
  than the formation of mixed polymers of random sequences.
5 The establishment of an autocatalytic cycle.
6 Errors in the formation of the polymers producing a new polymer which directs
  the synthesis of a primitive protein enzyme.
7 The primitive protein enzyme catalyzes the formation of both itself and the
  nucleotide polymer (DNA).
8 The above molecules somehow manage to spontaneously separate themselves from
  the rest of the world and concentrate into condensed systems coordinated in
  time and space.
(ref: Dr. Gish) Note that all of the improbable assumptions must hold; if even
*one* is wrong the system fails.  In view of things like this, I would be wary
of taking Dr. Prigogine's own warnings too lightly.
     Dick Dunn accuses creationists of circular reasoning in their definition
of kinds.  He, of course, assists himself in this accusation by "paraphrasing"
creationists.  All the while, he still hasn't given a "succinct, testable defi-
tion" of species either.  Actually, what we have here is a prediction by crea-
tionists, that kinds most likely share a unique common genetic characteristic,
one that further genetic research into understanding the DNA program should
reveal.
     Ray Mooney still has this silly notion that "creationists...are almost
always in areas not directly related to the evolution-creationism debate".  I
suggested he check out the credentials of the staff members at ICR.  He
obviously did not do that, calling Dr. Gish an engineer.  Sorry Ray, Dr. Gish
earned a BS in chemistry from UCLA, and a Ph.D. in biochemistry from UC Berk-
eley.  He spent 18 years in biochemical research at Cornell Univ Medical
College, the Virus Laboratory of the UC Berkeley, and with the Upjohn Company.
During that time he worked with two Nobel Prize winners and has authored about
40 technical scientific papers.  The most visible engineer in the field is no
doubt Dr. Henry Morris.  But even he has the proper background.  His Ph.D.
(from the Univ Minnesota) was a major in hydraulics, with a double minor in
geology and mathematics.  Who else is better qualified to study Flood geology?
(His resume is quite long and impressive, including 13 years as Chairman of the
Civil Engineering Dept at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute).  There are also
geologists (like Dr. Austin) and biologists (like Dr. Parker) on staff.  And
although he's not actually on the ICR staff (only affiliated) how could I
forget Dr. A. E. Wilder-Smith, who has earned not one, not two, but *three*
doctoral degrees (organic chemistry, pharmacology, and chemotherapy).  Not only
was he a professor here at the Medical Center at our own UI, but he has given
several scientific creationism lectures here on campus & one debate (against
two UI evolutionary professors at once).  Did you go, or were you at home
trying to convince yourself how dumb creationists are and how little science
they know?  You might want to check out his book "The Creation of Life" in our
biology dept library, where he goes into the chemical impossibilities of evolu-
tionary abiogenesis.  Now, although it's not necessarily true that a high
percentage of creationists are engineers, it is true that a high percentage of
engineers are creationists.  No doubt engineers have a better grasp of the
concept "a watch requires a watchmaker".  Further, there is less vested in-
terest, indoctrination, and opposition in the subject if you are an engineer.
     Finally, several people jumped on my comments last time about the basis
for morality.  I'd rather not get into that too much here.  It is a subject for
net.religion or .philosophy (which I don't read).  I'm following up on that via
personal mail with several people.  Suffice it to say I was answering a charge
by Phil Polli that creationists are racists, and in that context, the remarks
were appropriate.

A. Ray Miller
Univ Illinois

rlh@cvl.UUCP (Ralph L. Hartley) (09/28/84)

> Fred Hoyle, who in his book "Evolution from Space" calculates the probability
> of life evolving on earth at 1 out of 10^40,000.

What is this?  The same bogus "probability" argument has been around
the net for some time.  The only accurate way to find the probability
of SOME form of PRIMITIVE life forming from nonliving matter is by
experiment (unfortunately the experiment take 10^9 years to run).
Please stop arguing by proxy!  Give the reasoning itself. If it is
fallacious, no one should be convinced because some famous person
believes in it.  This goes double in Hoyle's case; for the last 10
years his theories have tended to be complicated, bizarre, interesting,
and wrong.

> >It seems that this difference of viewpoint goes a long way toward seeing why
> >the Creationist will respond with anger, rather than understanding, when he
> >is confronted with reality.
> Gee, and just last week I pointed out that on the net it was
> *evolutionists* who were calling creationists:  officers of the
> inquisition, a social holocaust, one of the greatest threats that
> civilization faces, metaphysical totalitarianism, Big Brother, Nazis,
> etc.

Of course we all deplore the name calling on the net, don't we?

> It seems to me that it is the evolutionists responding with anger
> at reality, not the other way around.

I scream you scream we all scream. What does it prove?

> >even if we discovered within biological systems some operation
> >distant from the state of equilibrium our research would still
> >leave us quite unable to grasp the extreme complexity of the simplest
> >of organisms.

EVEN IF ! ????
Try not eating for a while if you think we are at equilibrium!
You mean the simplest EXISTING organisms. Thats not what we are talking
about.

Yes I know you were quoting someone else, but you shouldn't use an
argument that you arn't prepaired to defend.

> 1 A steady net production of enormous quantities of nucleotides and amino
>   acids on the hypothetical primative earth by the simple interaction of
>   raw energy and simple gases.
> 2 A steady net production of enormous quantities of energy-rich organic mole-
>   cules to supply the required energy.
> 3 The combination, in enormous quantities, of the nucleotides to form
>   polymers.

These may have been assumptions once, but now they are experimental
results.  If you simulate the conditions of the early atmosphere, these
three things DO HAPPEN.  You don't even have to wait 10^7 years!
Assumptions about its composition are unimportant as long as it
contains no free oxygen. Free oxygen is not found on any of the other
(i.e.  dead) planets.

> 4 The selective formation of homopolymers (such as poly-A and poly-T) rather
>   than the formation of mixed polymers of random sequences.

Life can't happen without this? You just threw this in to make it
seem hard.

> 5 The establishment of an autocatalytic cycle.

This is by definition necessary for the the (natural) origin of life
because it is the same thing.

> 6 Errors in the formation of the polymers producing a new polymer which
>   directs the synthesis of a primitive protein enzyme.

Errors? If the polymers are random, what is an error?
Remember it only has to a VERY primitive enzyme, and it dosn't have to
be produced efficiently. Remember the first life would have no
competition.

> 7 The primitive protein enzyme catalyzes the formation of both itself and the
>   nucleotide polymer (DNA).

RNA enzymes are possible. Such an enzyme would only have to produce
itself. (from a pre-existing template (itself))

> 8 The above molecules somehow manage to spontaneously separate themselves
>   from the rest of the world and concentrate into condensed systms
>   coordinated in time and space.

You don't believe this is possible? Do you believe in crystals?
Remember that "Somehow" is a very broad word.

> (ref: Dr. Gish) Note that all of the improbable assumptions must hold; if
> even *one* is wrong the system fails.

No. Only 5 and 8 are really necessary. The rest can be replaced by other
mechanisms.

> Actually, what we have here is a prediction by creationists, that
> kinds most likely share a unique common genetic characteristic, one
> that further genetic research into understanding the DNA program should
> reveal.

Very good.  You made a prediction!  Too bad all the DNA research done
so far points in the other direction.  From the characteristics of DNA
it seems that all life on earth is of the same "kind".  You can even
trace the family tree with more accuracy than from morphology or the
much maligned "fossil record".  Predictions are good, but you have to
predict the results of past experiments too.  If I were in your shoes I
would use the scientific method and modify my theory to fit the
experimental data.

			Ralph Hartley
			rlh@cvl
			siesmo!rlgvax!cvl!rlh

rmooney@uicsl.UUCP (09/30/84)

A. Ray Miller writes:

>     Ray Mooney still has this silly notion that "creationists...are almost
>always in areas not directly related to the evolution-creationism debate".  I
>suggested he check out the credentials of the staff members at ICR.  He
>obviously did not do that, calling Dr. Gish an engineer.  Sorry Ray, Dr. Gish
>earned a BS in chemistry from UCLA, and a Ph.D. in biochemistry from UC Berk-
>eley.
>.......  The most visible engineer in the field is no doubt Dr. Henry Morris.

Yes, I actually meant Morris but made a mistake by confusing him with
Gish.  Of course, as we have seen, Mr. Miller is not alien to making mistakes
himself, as he recently wrongly attributed a remark on the net.

 Mr. Miller then continues to list credentials for all sorts of creationists.
Since the VAX I am working on probably does not have the memory to hold
all the credentials of evolutionsts, I will avoid typing them in, and simply
state that, for the most part, such things are irrelevant, and I should have
anticipated Mr. Miller's response and never brought up the subject.

>Now, although it's not necessarily true that a high
>percentage of creationists are engineers, it is true that a high percentage of
>engineers are creationists.  No doubt engineers have a better grasp of the
>concept "a watch requires a watchmaker".

First of all, what is "a high percentage of engineers." Certainly none
of the many engineers that I have ever known have been "scientific
creationists." But again, such unsupported claims are irrelevant.

But, speaking of the infamous "watchmaker," arguement I have a question.
The arguement seems to be, using Predicate Calculus for clarity:

(for-all (x) (COMPLICATED-ENTITY(x) --> (there-exists (y) (CREATED(y,x))

That is, if x is a complicated entity, then some creator must have created it.
It seems that one can also assume that the creator of a complicated
entity is also a complicated entity, or in formal notation:

(for-all(x,y)(COMPLICATED-ENTITY(x) & CREATED(y,x) --> COMPLICATED-ENTITY(y)))

Therefore, a watch, a complicated entity, requires a maker (x=watch1,y=human1)
and a human also requires a  maker(x=human1,y=god1).  Of course the deduction
as formulated does not stop there, since by assumption 2, god1 is a
complicated entity and therefore requires a creator also (x=god1,y=metagod1).
Then the question is, who created God? , and who created the Meta-God,
... ad-infinitum.  Is there an inifinte hierarchy of Gods as supposed
in R. Heinlein's new book "JOB: A Comedy of Justice," or what is wrong
with the assumptions as stated above?

Creationists seem to think that since scientists need to postulate at least
the initial existence of matter, then they are just as free to postulate the
initial existence of God.  However, there is a major difference. Matter,
presumably, is a simpler substance than God.  Isn't ontological parsimony
a desirable goal? Scientific theories have always been subject to Occams Razor.
However, with the watchmaker arguement above, we are complicating the
entity that needs explaining at each step.  Of course with the case of
the watch being created by man, we know from direct observation that the
more complicated entity exists and is the agent that builds watches.
In the case of introducing a creator for man, on the other hand, there
is no direct observation of such a creation, as most creationists will
tell you.

If by some means one could be convinced that life on Earth was not a product
of evolution (and I am by *no* means granting this assumption), then the
next logical step following ontological parsimony in the spirit of scientific
enquiry would be to try to find a *natural* explanation for the importation
of life, as Prof. Hoyle does. By the way, I am quite sure that Hoyle
does not claim life originated on another planet, but that crucial compounds
developed on comets where the environment is somehow more suitable.
Could it be that A. Ray has not actually read his book even though he
continually accuses others of not reading creationists literature?
(For the record I have not read the book myself and could be mistaken also)

Even if, as Mr. Miller believes,  one could show that no
environment could support the unguided formation of crucial organic
compounds found in life on Earth, then one could possibly postulate
that such compounds were originally engineered by life on a neutron star.
This would even work if the universe could be shown to be even a few
thousand years old since, as Dr. Robert Forward explains in his
book "Dragons Egg," such life would operate orders of magnitude faster
than molecular based life.  I claim that anyone who believes that such ideas
are more absurd than bringing God into science is simply biased by social
norms, since they all remain in the natural world of matter and avoid the
totally unwarranted  ontological promiscuity of introducing a "spiritual"
realm.

     So, does A. Ray Miller believe in creationism for scientific or
religious reasons?  If it is for scientific reasons, why does he
reject the more parsimonious solutions above?

       Ray Mooney
       ihnp4!uiucdcs!uicsl!rmooney

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (10/01/84)

Ray Miller says:

    Ray  Mooney still has this silly notion that "creationists...are almost
    always in areas  not  directly  related  to  the  evolution-creationism
    debate".  I suggested he check out the credentials of the staff members
    at  ICR.    He obviously did not do that, calling Dr. Gish an engineer.
    Sorry Ray, Dr. Gish earned a BS in chemistry from UCLA, and a Ph.D.  in
    biochemistry  from  UC  Berkeley.    He  spent  18 years in biochemical
    research at Cornell Univ Medical College, the Virus Laboratory  of  the
    UC  Berkeley,  and with the Upjohn Company.  During that time he worked
    with two Nobel Prize  winners  and  has  authored  about  40  technical
    scientific papers.

How  impressed  Ray  is  with academic degrees!  Unfortunately, possession of a
Ph.D. does not necessarily mean that what one says can be believed,  even  when
speaking  on  your  own or a related field.  The bottom line, degree or not, is
the reputation you establish for yourself.  The following  excerpt  is  from  a
letter to the editor which appeared in the Spring/Summer 1984 issue of *Origins
Research*,  a  periodical  with  a  definite Creationist bias.  I think that it
shows why one must approach anything Dr. Gish says with a very large  grain  of
salt:

    In   recent   years  a  substantial  body  of  literature  critical  of
    creationism has appeared,  and  it  contains  numerous  well-documented
    examples  of  Gish's  frauds  (see,  for example, Miller 1983, 249-262;
    Weber 1981, 4; Cracraft 1983, 180-181; Godfrey 1983,  202).    We  feel
    that  making additional charges of dishonesty against Gish is gilding a
    lily, and if SOR [Students  for  Origins  Research]  wants  charges  to
    investigate,  there  are  plenty  in  this  literature.   That said, we
    proceed to gild the lily.

    *Chimps, Bullfrogs and Chickens*

    In the spring of 1982, the  Public  Broadcasting  System  televised  an
    hour-long program on the creation/evolution controversy.  In discussing
    the  evolution  of  humans  and  chimpanzees  from  a  common ancestor,
    biochemist Russell Doolittle pointed out that many human and chimpanzee
    proteins are identical, and others are extremely similar.  In  rebuttal
    Duane Gish offered the following:

    Gish:    "If  we  look  at certain proteins, yes, man then -- it can be
    assumed that man is more closely related to  a  chimpanzee  than  other
    things.   But on the other hand, if you look at other certain proteins,
    you'll find that man is more closely related to a bullfrog than  he  is
    to a chimpanzee.  If you focus your attention on other proteins, you'll
    find  that  man  is  more  closely related to a chicken than he is to a
    chimpanzee."

    What does protein biochemistry really show?  In response to  a  letter,
    Doolittle  provided  extensive  documentation  for his statements about
    human and chimpanzee proteins.  Gish was likewise asked in a series  of
    letters  what  proteins  suggest  that  man  is more closely related to
    bullfrogs (chickens) than to chimpanzees; what are the respective amino
    acid sequences  for  the  bullfrog  (chicken),  chimpanzee,  and  human
    proteins;  who  sequenced  them and where were the sequences published?
    Gish responded with evasion, obfuscation and (these failing) silence.

    A year later, at  the  1983  National  Creation  Conference,  Gish  was
    directly  challenged  to  specify  the chicken and bullfrog proteins he
    cited on the PBS program.  Gish went into a  dazzling  tapdance  --  he
    talked about Sir Gavin de Beer, serum albumins, and other irrelevancies
    at  great  length.    When  the  questioner,  undistracted by the fancy
    footwork,  insisted  on  a  straight  answer,  Gish  promised  to  send
    references documenting his claims.  He has not done so.  He will not do
    so.    It  seems clear that Duane Gish lied on national television, and
    that he now compounds and perpetuates his original lie by promising  to
    produce  something  every competent biochemist knows has not been found
    to exist.

    /s/

    John W. Patterson

    Robert Schadewald

            *Bibliography*

    Cracraft, Joel. 1983.  In *Scientists Confront Creationism*,
            Norton, New York

    Godfrey, Laurie R. 1983.  *ibid*

    Miller, Kenneth, 1983.  In *Evolution versus Creationism: The
            Public Education Controversy*, Oryx Press, Phoenix AZ

    Weber, Christopher Gregory, 1981.  *Creation/Evolution*, no. 3.

There was a response to the letter by creationist Jerry  Bergman;  however,  he
did  not  address himself at all to the above issue, so I have not attempted to
quote from it.

Ray Miller continues:

    The most visible engineer in the field is no doubt  Dr.  Henry  Morris.
    But  even  he  has  the  proper  background.  His Ph.D.  (from the Univ
    Minnesota) was a major in hydraulics, with a double  minor  in  geology
    and  mathematics.  Who else is better qualified to study Flood geology?
    (His resume is  quite  long  and  impressive,  including  13  years  as
    Chairman  of  the  Civil  Engineering  Dept at the Virginia Polytechnic
    Institute).

I would urge anyone who is impressed with Dr. Morris' degrees to read up on his
preposterous ideas about "Flood Geology".  Any one of his books will do.    His
attempts  to  bring  a  literal  reading  of  Genesis  into  agreement with the
geological record show a flagrant disregard for the  facts  that  can  only  be
described as amazing.  One would think that the man was ignorant of the laws of
physics;  the fact that he is not, and has the academic credentials he has, can
only be described as shameful.

--
"Biblical signoffs are for the smug."

	Bill Jefferys  8-%
	Astronomy Dept, University of Texas, Austin TX 78712   (USnail)
	{allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!bill	(uucp)
	bill%utastro.UTEXAS@ut-sally.ARPA		(ARPANET)

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (10/01/84)

> [Ray Miller]  ...  Any
> model works if you make enough assumptions.  Prigogine errs when he assumes
> several highly improbable things, for example:
> 1 A steady net production of enormous quantities of nucleotides + amino acids
>   on the hypothetical primative earth by the simple interaction of raw energy
>   and simple gases.
> 8 The above molecules somehow manage to spontaneously separate themselves from
>   the rest of the world and concentrate into condensed systems coordinated in
>   time and space.
> (ref: Dr. Gish) Note that all of the improbable assumptions must hold; if even
> *one* is wrong the system fails.  In view of things like this, I would be wary
> of taking Dr. Prigogine's own warnings too lightly.

Ray has been generous enough to provide us with a few examples of fallacies of
argument, so it would be rude of me to not properly document them.

First, he assumes what he intends to prove (with the "Prigogine errs", and
"improbable assumptions"), and then never provides evidence of error or
improbability.

Second, he raises Dr. Gish's assumptions, a prime example of putting words into
someone else's mouth.  Prigogine's theories may not require all those
assumptions, nor may they be required in any particular order, nor may they be
as improbable as they sound or is implied.  For example, assumption 8 could
be used to describe things as simple and commonplace as precipitation, and
may have occurred before polymerization.  In constructing straw horse
assumptions, we would expect Gish to be as uncharitable as possible, and these
are good examples.

Third,

Third, in the same paragraph he claims both that 1) engineers can be impartial,
disinterested, and unindoctrinated, and thus better able to judge the merits
of both arguments, and 2) who can be better suited to study flood geology than
Morris, with his PhD in hydraulics and minor in geology?  Make up your mind:
you can't have it both ways.

So much for fallacies of form of some of Ray's arguments.  Now on to the
(dubious) substance of the arguments.

Mostly, appeal to authority has no place in scientific debate, on either side.
Nor does appeal to popular opinion, let alone appeal to the opinions of some
sub-group.  The argument that engineers [because they have a better grasp of the
watchmaker concept] would be better able to judge correctly between creationism
and evolution is ludicrous.  You might just as well argue that the engineers
have a more difficult time imagining anything BUT the watchmaker idea, because
of the nature of their training.  Appeal to authority is at best a heuristic
that fails often, because of vested interests, conflicting beliefs, and human
nature in general.

I for one would prefer to see more debate on the substance of creationism,
rather than their organizations and people.  Social implications of creationism
or evolution (such as accusations of racism) are side issues that distract from
the argument about which is correct.  It's much easier to see creationism for
what it is without a cloud of rhetoric to hide it.

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (10/02/84)

From Ray Miller:
>      Dick Dunn accuses creationists of circular reasoning in their definition
> of kinds.  He, of course, assists himself in this accusation by "paraphrasing"
> creationists.  All the while, he still hasn't given a "succinct, testable defi-
> tion" of species either.  Actually, what we have here is a prediction by crea-
> tionists, that kinds most likely share a unique common genetic characteristic,
> one that further genetic research into understanding the DNA program should
> reveal.

Yes, I paraphrased.  I said I was doing so.  If you've got a complaint
about the way I paraphrased, state it.  Otherwise, you're just pissing in
the wind.

Nobody asked me to give a succinct, testable definition of species, so I
didn't.

How can creationists "predict" the definition of a term (kind)?

The "unique common genetic characteristic" idea leads to a paradox:
Suppose that animals A and B have such a unique characteristic x in common.
Suppose similarly that animals B and C have a different unique
characteristic y in common.  Suppose that A does not have characteristic y
and C does not have x.  Which of A, B, and C are of one kind?  Does the
definition of "kind" somehow exclude this possibility?
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.

hammond@mouton.UUCP (10/04/84)

I read yesterday an article which discussed an idea put forth
by some scientist that birds and mammals are more closely related than
birds and reptiles.  Anyway, one of the comments was that some research
about protein comparisons had indicated the closest relative to man
for the particular protein was a chicken.

However, I went back today and was unable to find the magazine again.
I was merely browsing among the periodical shelves and have no idea
where to find the magazine.  I do remember that the reason I picked
it up was an article by Stephen Hawkings ( spelling? , The british
physicist confined to a wheelchair) about space and time and
singularities and the origin of the univerise.
Also, the magazine struck me as using "British" (as opposed to American)
english.

Anyway, prior reports of the chicken-human protein relationships
may have been what Gish was refering to.  I didn't see any mention of
bullfrogs, but then the article was on birds and mammals, not reptiles.

Rich Hammond

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (10/06/84)

> Creationists seem to think that since scientists need to postulate at least
> the initial existence of matter, then they are just as free to postulate the
> initial existence of God.

But scientists have no need to postulate the initial existence
of matter.  They only need to postulate the existence of matter
at a certain point in time, and can very easily state that events
before that time, being unobservable, are beyond the realm of
science.  (and quite possibly in the realm of religion)

What that point in time is, of course, depends on the current
state of mankind's ability to observe.

--
Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick) (10/08/84)

> > ???
> > Creationists seem to think that since scientists need to postulate at least
> > the initial existence of matter, then they are just as free to postulate the
> > initial existence of God.

> Mike Ward:
> But scientists have no need to postulate the initial existence
> of matter.  They only need to postulate the existence of matter
> at a certain point in time, and can very easily state that events
> before that time, being unobservable, are beyond the realm of
> science.  (and quite possibly in the realm of religion)

> What that point in time is, of course, depends on the current
> state of mankind's ability to observe.

So evolutionists can have things "beyond the realm of science" but
creationists can't? That's hypocritical cheating!
--
		The Ice Floe of Larry Bickford
		{amd,decwrl,sun,idi,ittvax}!qubix!lab

You can't settle the issue until you've settled how to settle the issue.

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) (10/09/84)

> By the way, I am quite sure that Hoyle
> does not claim life originated on another planet, but that crucial compounds
> developed on comets where the environment is somehow more suitable.
> Could it be that A. Ray has not actually read his book even though he
> continually accuses others of not reading creationists literature?
> (For the record I have not read the book myself and could be mistaken also)

The 1982 edition of *Annual Reviews of Astronomy and Astrophysics* contains
an article by Hoyle that discusses his main ideas.  So one doesn't have
to read the book.  He says that interstellar dust grains have light absorption
curves similar to those of bacteria, and appears to believe that life
got started in space.  He uses his 10e-40000 probability figure evidence
in favor of his now discredited Steady State theory, since in an infinitely
old universe there is time enough for any event of nonzero probability,
no matter how small, to occur.

He doesn't give many details on his 10e-40000 odds, but he gives enough
to determine that it is as invalid as the similar calculations that have been
bandied about on the net.  Basically it comes about from assuming that a
probability of 10e-20 for getting 20 amino acids in sequence has to be
done independently for 2000 different proteins.  Everyone reading this
newsgroup should know by now why this won't wash.
--

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (10/09/84)

> So evolutionists can have things "beyond the realm of science" but
> creationists can't? That's hypocritical cheating!

Are we speaking the same language? (No...of course not.  How
foolish of me.)

Both evolutionists and creationists are allowed to have things
beyond the realm of science.  The only thing that's not allowed
is for anyone to have scientific theories that lie beyond the
realm of science.

Now, please pay attention:  it's not me that disallows this,
but the language.  The English language.  If it's beyond the
realm of science, then it's not within the realm of science.

Now, what on Earth does this have to do with evolution?  The
disciplines of evolution and cosmology are as distinct as any
in science.  Cosmology is the one that explores the edges of
the realm of science.  Evolution concerns itself with things
of the Earth.  The Earth is safely within the realm of science.

I keep saying it: Creationism is nothing less than an attack
on science itself.

--

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (10/10/84)

In article <qubix.1407> lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick) writes:
>> Mike Ward:
>> But scientists have no need to postulate the initial existence
>> of matter.  They only need to postulate the existence of matter
>> at a certain point in time, and can very easily state that events
>> before that time, being unobservable, are beyond the realm of
>> science.  (and quite possibly in the realm of religion)
>
>> What that point in time is, of course, depends on the current
>> state of mankind's ability to observe.
>
>So evolutionists can have things "beyond the realm of science" but
>creationists can't? That's hypocritical cheating!

Nobody ever said creationists couldn't have things 'beyond the realm
of science,' only that such things cannot be critical to any scientific
theory.  Evolutionary theory doesn't have to deal with the genesis of
matter because the scope of evolutionaty is only (!) the development
of life forms.  Creationists explicitly include the unobservable as
the creator of all life forms.  Having done so, they have expressly
brought it within their theoretical scope and thus should not be shocked
when they are asked to account for it.

--

						Byron C. Howes
				          {decvax|akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

rmooney@uicsl.UUCP (10/11/84)

>> > My original statement:
>> > Creationists seem to think that since scientists need to postulate at least
>> > the initial existence of matter, then they are just as free to postulate the
>> > initial existence of God.

>> Mike Ward:
>> But scientists have no need to postulate the initial existence
>> of matter.  They only need to postulate the existence of matter
>> at a certain point in time, and can very easily state that events
>> before that time, being unobservable, are beyond the realm of
>> science.  (and quite possibly in the realm of religion)
>> What that point in time is, of course, depends on the current
>> state of mankind's ability to observe.

>Larry Bickford:
>So evolutionists can have things "beyond the realm of science" but
>creationists can't? That's hypocritical cheating!

Obviously, any system must be based eventually on certain assumptions.
Every logical system requires a set of axioms.  I see little practlcal
difference between supposing matter has always existed and saying it
was created at one time and we are eternally ignorant of anything before that.

As I initially stated, the important thing is to "minimize the complexity"
of any assumptions.  Creationists violate this by immediately resorting
to another unobservable realm to explain origins instead of
first exhausting all possible natural (and therefor simpler) explanations.
Even if one considers the supposition of the existence of matter and
the supposition of an initial cause in a chain of cause and effect part of
"evolution" (a term which creationists interpret as any natural
explanation for the origins of anything), it is not at all hypocritical
to deride creationism since their suppositions involve a more complicated
ontology.

daver@hp-pcd.UUCP (daver) (10/19/84)

>....................  Now, although it's not necessarily true that a high
>percentage of creationists are engineers, it is true that a high percentage of

Could you indicate your source for this statement?

Dave Rabinowitz
hplabs!hp-pcd!daver