[net.origins] Creationists are stupid

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (11/03/84)

Christianity as a faith has nothing to say about creationism.  I would
wager that the great majority of those who identify themselves as
Christians have little problem with currently accepted theories of the
origin of species.  I count myself among those, and I am getting sick and
tired of those who would identify "Christianity" as one and the same as
those sects who hew to literal-minded interpretations of mistranslations
of the Bible.

[Whew, that felt good!]
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (11/03/84)

> Christianity as a faith has nothing to say about creationism.  I would
> wager that the great majority of those who identify themselves as
> Christians have little problem with currently accepted theories of the
> origin of species.

I have to agree. While I wouldn't actually consider myself a Christian,
I would say that a majority of the "Christians" I know have little
complaint with evolution. They consider the Bible an example, not a
rule, which seems to be a major problem with the way the bible is
translated these days.

Now for the flame:
Creationsism is BOGUS! There are numerous people who say that evolution
is obviousl;y the way life got to the point it is at now. There is ONE
source that says life was "created" by some "God". Everyone else just
joined the bandwagon. Why don't you "fuzzy headed fundamentalists" start
to realize that while there is no positive proof for evolution, it makes
a hell of a lot more sense than creationism. I guess we'll always have
the people who won't pull their head out of the sand, though.

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-k!agz
Dept. of Mental Instability, Purdue University --- "I'm OK, You're a CS Major"
"Some of them waiting, some were standing in line,
 As if there was something that they thought they might find ... "

semreb@ih4ep.UUCP (Waz Nardbill) (11/06/84)

    The inability to prove one notion cannot be used to prove another
  It seems that what you are saying is that because
 one idea cannot be proven, the "alternative" must be true.
 Your logic is highly questionable.
          Terry Bermes

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (11/09/84)

> > Christianity as a faith has nothing to say about creationism.  I would
> > wager that the great majority of those who identify themselves as
> > Christians have little problem with currently accepted theories of the
> > origin of species.
>
> I have to agree. While I wouldn't actually consider myself a Christian,
> I would say that a majority of the "Christians" I know have little
> complaint with evolution. They consider the Bible an example, not a
> rule, which seems to be a major problem with the way the bible is
> translated these days.

Since you are not a Christian, and since you quote the "Christianity"
of your acquaintances, it may be reasonable to assume that they are
not Christians, either.  If that is true, then your statement about
what Christians believe is not valid.  I *am* a Christian, and I
know plenty of people who are Christians (without quotes); the
overwhelming majority have plenty of "complaint with evolution".

> Now for the flame:
> Creationsism is BOGUS! There are numerous people who say that evolution
> is obviousl;y the way life got to the point it is at now. There is ONE
> source that says life was "created" by some "God". Everyone else just
> joined the bandwagon. Why don't you "fuzzy headed fundamentalists" start
> to realize that while there is no positive proof for evolution, it makes
> a hell of a lot more sense than creationism. I guess we'll always have
> the people who won't pull their head out of the sand, though.

If it were so obvious, I would agree that evolution is the best
explanation.  Perhaps it is; but I don't think so.  Certainly if it
*is* the best explanation, it is by no means obvious how it occurs.
If it were, evolutionists wouldn't be at such pains to disagree
with each other (that's not a slam at evolution, or science.  But
it simply is not well understood how evolution occurs, if it occurs).

Another point to be made:
If you have been reading this group for any length of time, you should
know that any time someone brings up an argument based on the numerosity
of its proponents, the argument is rejected.

Follow-ups belong in net.religion.

I apologize for my intemperate tone.
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/10/84)

> If it were so obvious, I would agree that evolution is the best
> explanation.  Perhaps it is; but I don't think so.  Certainly if it
> *is* the best explanation, it is by no means obvious how it occurs.
> If it were, evolutionists wouldn't be at such pains to disagree
> with each other (that's not a slam at evolution, or science.  But
> it simply is not well understood how evolution occurs, if it occurs).

Wrong, Bozo. It is obvious how it occurs, and the only people who say
they don't understand it are people like you who don't want to understand
it, or are too stupid to look beyond the pages of the Bible for anything.
If you're so sure of creationism, explain to me how IT works.

	Wayne

> > I have to agree. While I wouldn't actually consider myself a Christian,
> > I would say that a majority of the "Christians" I know have little
> > complaint with evolution. They consider the Bible an example, not a
> > rule, which seems to be a major problem with the way the bible is
> > translated these days.
>
> Since you are not a Christian, and since you quote the "Christianity"
> of your acquaintances, it may be reasonable to assume that they are
> not Christians, either.  If that is true, then your statement about
> what Christians believe is not valid.  I *am* a Christian, and I
> know plenty of people who are Christians (without quotes); the
> overwhelming majority have plenty of "complaint with evolution".

What is this: a Christian cannot have non-Christian friends?!?
Or if they can why is it "reasonable" to assume a non-Christian's
friends are non-Christian. However I *am* a Christian, and I
do not find any conflict between science and faith.  Because
I see them as answering *different* questions.
The Bible merely asserts that God created the World, not *how*
He did so; evolutionary science merely says that evolution has occured,
and does not say anything about God one way or the other.

> If it were so obvious, I would agree that evolution is the best
> explanation.  Perhaps it is; but I don't think so.  Certainly if it
> *is* the best explanation, it is by no means obvious how it occurs.
> If it were, evolutionists wouldn't be at such pains to disagree
> with each other (that's not a slam at evolution, or science.  But
> it simply is not well understood how evolution occurs, if it occurs).

I *must* disagree here - disagreement about detail mechanisms
has *no* bearing on the general thesis of evolutionary theory.
The basic observational facts are not well explained by *any*
current theory except evolutionary theory.  Furthermore there
is more agreement among evolutionary scientists than you think
even on detail mechanisms.  The main disagreement is really only
about the relative importance of the various mechanisms.

Stanley Friesen

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (11/20/84)

> > > I have to agree. While I wouldn't actually consider myself a Christian,
> > > I would say that a majority of the "Christians" I know have little
> > > complaint with evolution. They consider the Bible an example, not a
> > > rule, which seems to be a major problem with the way the bible is
> > > translated these days.
> >
> > Since you are not a Christian, and since you quote the "Christianity"
> > of your acquaintances, it may be reasonable to assume that they are
> > not Christians, either.  If that is true, then your statement about
> > what Christians believe is not valid.  I *am* a Christian, and I
> > know plenty of people who are Christians (without quotes); the
> > overwhelming majority have plenty of "complaint with evolution".
> >

> What is this: a Christian cannot have non-Christian friends?!?
> Or if they can why is it "reasonable" to assume a non-Christian's
> friends are non-Christian.

That is not what I said.  The person writing the article to
which I responded quoted the word "Christians", leading me
to believe that he considered that their "Christianity" might
be questionable (cf. creation "science", where the intent is
to derogate creationism).  A Christian certainly may have non-
Christian friends.
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

jhull@spp2.UUCP (11/20/84)

In article <447@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
>> > Christianity as a faith has nothing to say about creationism.
>> ... a majority of the "Christians" I know have little
>> complaint with evolution.
>I *am* a Christian, and I
>know plenty of people who are Christians (without quotes); the
>overwhelming majority have plenty of "complaint with evolution".
>
>Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

Why is it so necessary that the truth be one or the other?  Isn't it
possible that evolution is simply the tool that God used to create
this world the way [it is, HE/SHE wanted it (pick one)]?

The thing I find so disturbing about this issue is that people are so
ready to create barriers between themselves and others.  Isn't one
prime tenet of Christianity that we are all children of a God who
loves us?  Doesn't that imply that we should take down barriers to
oneness and togetherness wherever we find them?

--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (11/21/84)

Anyway, this discussion belongs in net.religion.
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"Jesus Christ is not Cute."	John Fahey